any Ecobee Developers here?

I am looking to connect to the developers of the Ecobee API interface.  I am having issues with temperature sensor data retrieved through their API interface. Not sure if this is the right place. If not, would highly appreciate a helping hand to point me to the right way. Their we site at developer.ecobee.com provides no link to connect with them except for legal issues.

I have an Ecobee Thermostat for my HVAC system and I am developing Micropython code on a Raspberry PICO W to control my ceiling fan to match the fan in my furnace to help distribute the heat in the house. I use the built-in WiFi interface in the PICO W to access the Ecobee API server to monitor the status of my furnace. The Ecobee Thermostat updates the server every 3 minutes. I have succeeded in getting my system working. But I had to resort to various tactics to recover from the many HTTP faults that randomly arises on the API get requests that cause the Micropython system to crash. The most extreme is Exception Error 103 which can turn sticky, meaning the system gets stuck into a state where every API get request crashes with this error. I had to resort to rebooting the whole system to get thing running again.

A second issue I have has to do with the values I get when querying the temperature sensors. The temperature values jumps up and down by over 1 degree within seconds. I talked to Ecobee tech support and they directed me to download the data from beestat.io. That data matches the bottom of my jumpy data, but leads it by up to 10 minutes. Ecobee tech support was not able to help with API issues. I have attached a screen shot of my Excel chart showing the data I read from the API and well as data downloaded from beestat.io. Sure like to understand why the data read from the API interface jumps up and down like that.

Ecobee Chart 1.png

7 hours ago, nanowizz said:

I am looking to connect to the developers of the Ecobee API interface.  I am having issues with temperature sensor data retrieved through their API interface. Not sure if this is the right place. If not, would highly appreciate a helping hand to point me to the right way. Their we site at developer.ecobee.com provides no link to connect with them except for legal issues.

I have an Ecobee Thermostat for my HVAC system and I am developing Micropython code on a Raspberry PICO W to control my ceiling fan to match the fan in my furnace to help distribute the heat in the house. I use the built-in WiFi interface in the PICO W to access the Ecobee API server to monitor the status of my furnace. The Ecobee Thermostat updates the server every 3 minutes. I have succeeded in getting my system working. But I had to resort to various tactics to recover from the many HTTP faults that randomly arises on the API get requests that cause the Micropython system to crash. The most extreme is Exception Error 103 which can turn sticky, meaning the system gets stuck into a state where every API get request crashes with this error. I had to resort to rebooting the whole system to get thing running again.

A second issue I have has to do with the values I get when querying the temperature sensors. The temperature values jumps up and down by over 1 degree within seconds. I talked to Ecobee tech support and they directed me to download the data from beestat.io. That data matches the bottom of my jumpy data, but leads it by up to 10 minutes. Ecobee tech support was not able to help with API issues. I have attached a screen shot of my Excel chart showing the data I read from the API and well as data downloaded from beestat.io. Sure like to understand why the data read from the API interface jumps up and down like that.

Ecobee Chart 1.png

You're in the wrong place for this. You need to contact ecobee directly on their website. These forums are geared towards universal devices line of devices.

• Like 1

The technology provided by UDI, the company this forum represents, can do those things. There is an ecobee plugin for the eisy controller. It provides numerous data points and programmable controls for the ecobee family of thermostats.  

I use simple point and click ISY programs to automate it. I have it and have 3 important ecobee integrations for my home programmed with it, so my point is you might want to consider something like the UDI eisy controller and spend more time automating and less time integrating.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, nanowizz said:

Thank you for the pointers.

As our ecobee stat developers here have discovered, ecobee stats are not to be polled more than once every three minutes or ecobee may disconnect you until you stop and beg for forgiveness.

The eISY approach may be a much easier plan of attack for you and I would be sure you could use the power of (eISY) love to your advantage in many other areas in your home.

Edited by larryllix

I ran into that problem when I was querying at 15 second intervals. I got a reject code saying requests too frequent. I backed off to ~30 seconds and now I can go for days with no issues. I just get occasional system crashes with Error 104 and 103 which are network faults. I was able to trap these and restart the code making the API get request again. Just once in a while, the code will get this Error 103 consistently on every request after the restart. So I had to resort to rebooting the system to continue running the program. Fortunately, this can all be done within my Micropython code.