Must power cycle EISY after every network interruption.

JCurrie

I recently converted from ISY94i to EISY.  The migration went fine except that now whenever I have any network interruption (even just powering off and back on my ethernet switch), the EISY won't function again without a reboot or power cycle. I never had any issue like this with the old ISY994i.  Has anyone else experienced (and fixed) this or do I need to submit a ticket?

7 minutes ago, Techman said:

Yours is an isolated case.  Have you tried rebooting your router. Are you usinng a reserved address for ther eisy in your router?

I have rebooted the router, but that is another way to cause the problem.  The EISY connects to the router using a DHCP reserved address (i.e. gets the same ip address each time).  There doesn't seem to be an issue connecting to the router.  The eisy just seems to hang up.

NOT isolated at all!!  I had my router set to reboot every few days and finally realized if the router reboots the eISY will not automatically reconnect. I couldn't find a resolution to the issue, so I had to remove the reboot from my router. I'd love to find out why so I can set my router to auto reboot again without loosing my eISY. Reboot the eISY and it connects and works fine.

The eisy should automatically connect to the router after the router reboots. Are you using a reserved address for the eisy, it's possible that you have an address conflict in the router. Why are you rebooting your router so often?

• Like 1
On 2/13/2024 at 9:03 PM, JCurrie said:

The EISY connects to the router using a DHCP reserved address (i.e. gets the same ip address each time).  There doesn't seem to be an issue connecting to the router.  The eisy just seems to hang up.

Seems like would be best to open a support ticket with UD since it does seem to be an isolated case. They would be able to review logs and diagnose what might be happening. 

https://www.universal-devices.com/my-tickets

The next time it happens grab the error log from admin console and PG3x log package then open a ticket. This way anything that happened should be in the logs from the day to be reviewed. Also be sure to let them know how the device is connected (wifi or wired) and what brand/type or router you're running.

NOTE: If you're running the eisy on wireless and are using an eero or other mesh router you might want to try hard wiring the eisy to the primary router device (or a network switch connected to the primary device). 

On 2/13/2024 at 8:39 PM, JCurrie said:

I never had any issue like this with the old ISY994i.

Agreed, but got to remember there are a lot more "moving parts" with the eisy than there were in the ISY994 days. Many more systems relying on everything working together. Something could be failing when your router goes down and not reconnecting once your internet is back telling the eisy to re-connect. That's why the logs might be able to shed light on the situation.

Just an fyi to follow up. I had an occasional drop out situation with my 994 that would clear up if I rebooted my router. This I set it to reboot every few days. When I switched to the eISY I found it would drop off and not reconnect automatically every time the router rebooted. I'm using ISY on a WRT3200ACM, DHCP protocol, with built in VPN firmware. With everything on backups, it's rarer to lose power on my equipment. So, for now, I am leaving the router set to not reboot while I finish resolving the 40+ sensors, switches, etc. I'm using. And get my eISY software moved to my new WD Black 1T NVMe. An automated routine would be super nice as I'm not up of command language and operations as I hope to be. Since I did not open the eISY before buying my M.2 SSD, I ***-u-me-d it set flat to the main board so, my new Samsung 980 PRO with the heat sink would not fit. That would be a great addition to the NVMe M.2 notes. Just wanted to explain my earlier comment in more detail. I've never been accused of shorting details. lol  

17 minutes ago, charles.thibodeaux said:

Just wanted to explain my earlier comment in more detail. I've never been accused of shorting details. lol  

Is your eisy wired to router or using WiFi?

I guess I’ve been lucky I never had to schedule reboots of my routers. Seems like network issues if you’re having to reboot a “name brand” router often. I’d look at resolving those issues before saying it’s an eisy issue. But that’s just me…why live with scheduling rebooting a router rather than fixing the issue (ie buying a different router!). 

Actually, I was saying my 994i kept dropping out and I set my router to reboot every couple of days and it resolved the 994i from dropping out. Crazy huh. With the eISY it's just the opposite, the eIisy drops out and won't reconnect when I reboot the router so I turned the feature off for now. I use wired everywhere I can as the speed is significantly faster and more interference free. My cameras and all feasible devices are all wired. Wired equipment cannot be easily interfered with or jammed and it's transmission is stable but not always practical.