failing PLM symptoms?

For the last several weeks I've been seeing some anomalies with my Insteon devices where the device will be on when it is supposed to be off (controlled only by a program, not in a scene) or off when it supposed to be on.  The issue seems to affect random Insteon devices in my network which are typically either a dimmer or a switch.  The problem seems to go away after 24 hours but then crops up in another device (that doesn't respond to a timed command being sent to it).  I have an ISY 994i/IR Pro running v5.0.14 (I haven't upgraded to v5.3.4 yet because everything has been running smoothly for several years).    I don't remember when I last replaced my PLM but it has been at least 8 years.  

Here is an example of the latest anomaly.  I send a command at 11 PM to a bathroom dimmer switch to change the On Level to 30% and then back to 100% again at 8 AM.  Today it didn't work as the on level was stuck at 30% after 8 AM.  I was able to double click the switch (Fast On) and the lights came on at 100% but when I just single pressed the ON button, it came on at 30%.  I should mention that the dimming functions of the switch worked fine.   I logged into the console and ran the THEN statement of the program that sends the command to the dimmer switch to go back to an ON Level of 100% but the switch would never update. I rebooted the ISY and tried resending the command to set the On Level to 100% but it still didn't work.  Most of the other cases where I've seen random problems with my Insteon devices have been with a light being on when it is not supposed to be or vice versa.

One more thing to add:  When I logged into the console and looked at the On Level that was currently set for the bathroom light, it showed it as 100% as it should, even though the when activate by a button press, the light only comes on at 30%.  SO that means at least the ISY has updated that parameter value based on the timed program.

What do I need to do to track down the issue of these program commands occasionally and randomly not being sent to an Insteon device?   

Edited by piconut
added info

If the PLM is 8 years old it could be failing. Usually it's the PLM power supply that fails. Is the green led on the PLM lit, if not then it's time to replace it. What's the 4 digit date code on the PLM, and what is its firmware version?

The newer PLMs have newer firmware and upgraded internal components that are less likely to fail. If you decide to replace the PLM be sure to follow the attached procedure

Another possibility is that you have noise on the powerline that's interfering with the Insteon signal. It could be from recently added electricial devices or a device that's failing.

Replace PLM.pdf

A quick thing to try is unplugging the PLM for 10 seconds and replugging. If things go back to normal, it likely confirms the bad PLM theory. It may work for a while, and the begin acting flaky again... a sign to get another one on order.

FWIW 8 years puts its age in a time when the not-so-good capacitors were used

Hi @piconut,

Paul and Techman both have good points.  I am however curious about two things:

1. You stated that your devices are controlled by programs - not in scenes.  The fact that the ISY "thinks" that your devices are at one lighting level when they are actually at another make it sound like you are using scenes.  Could you post your programs? 
  2. Normally the ISY polls all devices @3:00am.  If your PLM is failing, this query will fail miserably.  You will be greeted by a host of "cannot communicate with...device" when you log in.  If you are not seeing these communication failures and the (!) on your devices, I would say that your PLM has not given up (yet).  Have you seen signs that the ISY has tagged devices as being offline?

• Like 1
On 3/16/2024 at 4:09 PM, Techman said:

If the PLM is 8 years old it could be failing. Usually it's the PLM power supply that fails. Is the green led on the PLM lit, if not then it's time to replace it. What's the 4 digit date code on the PLM, and what is its firmware version?

The newer PLMs have newer firmware and upgraded internal components that are less likely to fail. If you decide to replace the PLM be sure to follow the attached procedure

Another possibility is that you have noise on the powerline that's interfering with the Insteon signal. It could be from recently added electricial devices or a device that's failing.

Replace PLM.pdf 172.65 kB · 3 downloads

The green light on the PLM is lit. The info on the sticker is 2413S , V2.2, 1621

On 3/16/2024 at 7:27 PM, IndyMike said:

Hi @piconut,

Paul and Techman both have good points.  I am however curious about two things:

1. You stated that your devices are controlled by programs - not in scenes.  The fact that the ISY "thinks" that your devices are at one lighting level when they are actually at another make it sound like you are using scenes.  Could you post your programs? 
  2. Normally the ISY polls all devices @3:00am.  If your PLM is failing, this query will fail miserably.  You will be greeted by a host of "cannot communicate with...device" when you log in.  If you are not seeing these communication failures and the (!) on your devices, I would say that your PLM has not given up (yet).  Have you seen signs that the ISY has tagged devices as being offline?

I'm sure I'm not using scenes.  I have about 4 scenes set up but the light problems I'm having are not in a scene or related to the controllers.  I only got the "cannot communicate with...device" on the dimmer or switch that was not working correctly at the time.  So only one "cannot communicate with...device" message when I logged into the ISY.  If no devices seem to be exhibiting the anomaly I'm seeing, then I'm not seeing any "cannot communicate with...device" messages.  I also have no devices with the green 1011 so that is good.  

On 3/16/2024 at 5:07 PM, paulbates said:

A quick thing to try is unplugging the PLM for 10 seconds and replugging. If things go back to normal, it likely confirms the bad PLM theory. It may work for a while, and the begin acting flaky again... a sign to get another one on order.

FWIW 8 years puts its age in a time when the not-so-good capacitors were used

I have a new PLM in the box that I ordered when it looked like they were going to start to be hard to get.  The date code is 1123 (I assume 2023?) and the firmware is 2.6.  Does this one have the updated electronics in it?

Is the 2.6 on the white sticker of the PLM?

That is the revision level 2.6 not the firmware. The probably version firmware is 9E. As I know rev 2.5 had the 9E and I don't think they went higher as 9E had been the standard over many revisions.

Revision 2.4 and 2.5 have the new serial port board and power supply capacitors. So you should have the better PLM as the replacement.

• Like 1
56 minutes ago, Brian H said:

Is the 2.6 on the white sticker of the PLM?

That is the revision level 2.6 not the firmware. The probably version firmware is 9E. As I know rev 2.5 had the 9E and I don't think they went higher as 9E had been the standard over many revisions.

Revision 2.4 and 2.5 have the new serial port board and power supply capacitors. So you should have the better PLM as the replacement.

Yes, the 2.6 is on the sticker of the PLM.  I just assumed that it was the firmware version. Thank you for the clarification. So are there any risks to installing the new PLM even though I don't know for sure what is causing the anomalies I'm occasionally seeing (haven't seen one since Saturday)?

13 hours ago, piconut said:

I'm sure I'm not using scenes.  I have about 4 scenes set up but the light problems I'm having are not in a scene or related to the controllers.  I only got the "cannot communicate with...device" on the dimmer or switch that was not working correctly at the time.  So only one "cannot communicate with...device" message when I logged into the ISY.  If no devices seem to be exhibiting the anomaly I'm seeing, then I'm not seeing any "cannot communicate with...device" messages.  I also have no devices with the green 1011 so that is good.  

It sounds like you are having intermittent communication issues with a number of devices.  The fact that they happen individually and "heal" would seem to indicate that the problem is not the PLM. 

Not sure what type devices we are dealing with here and what the makeup of your installation looks like -

1. If you have an older installation with primarily powerline devices (NOT dual band)  it's possible that you lost a phase coupling device.  This would cause a reduced signal level on the phase opposite of your PLM.
  2. If your devices are newer dual band then your phases are likely well coupled.  Multiple unit issues are normally due to a degraded PLM or SIGNAL ABSORBER near the PLM.
  3. Always possible that you have a noise source/signal absorber that is only active at certain times of the day.  Try to look for patterns in the communication problems.  If you think you are having issues communicating with a device, run a query on it.  The ISY will try 3 times to communicate and then tag the device as "failed to communicate with.."

Intermittent problems are the worst.  Very difficult to track down and be sure that you've found the culprit.  Give us a bit more detail and what your system looks like and what devices you are having problems with (i.e. 2477 dimmer vs 2476 dimmer)

12 hours ago, piconut said:

Yes, the 2.6 is on the sticker of the PLM.  I just assumed that it was the firmware version. Thank you for the clarification. So are there any risks to installing the new PLM even though I don't know for sure what is causing the anomalies I'm occasionally seeing (haven't seen one since Saturday)?

Edit: Realized that I did not answer your question about replacing the PLM.

@Techman provided the PLM replacement procedure above... 

The only "Risk" in replacing your PLM  is the possibility that there is something else in your system causing the problems.  If that is the case you may have difficulty in writing the new PLM information to your devices (1011 tags). 

Aside from that, you will need to wake your battery devices to update them with the new PLM links.  If you have motion sensors in difficult to reach areas, UD provided a method to program these when motion is sensed.  I typically disable these programs when not in use, otherwise they will trigger every time motion is sense.

Motion Sensor Update Program:

BSMT Sensor Program - [ID 004A][Parent 0066][Not Enabled]

If
        'Motion/RF / BSMT-Sensor' is switched On
     Or 'Motion/RF / BSMT-Sensor' is switched Off

Then
        Set 'Motion/RF / BSMT-Sensor' Write Changes

Else
   - No Actions - (To add one, press 'Action')

Edited by IndyMike
  • Like 1

IndyMike covered things.

I would second if you have older power line modules and the system is resorted to I1 communications. That takes eight message and acknowledgement for one link database replacement in a module. Noise and communication issues may effect the restore or PLM replacement messages.

Edited by Brian H
  • Like 1
22 hours ago, IndyMike said:

Not sure what type devices we are dealing with here and what the makeup of your installation looks like -

1. If you have an older installation with primarily powerline devices (NOT dual band)  it's possible that you lost a phase coupling device.  This would cause a reduced signal level on the phase opposite of your PLM.
  2. If your devices are newer dual band then your phases are likely well coupled.  Multiple unit issues are normally due to a degraded PLM or SIGNAL ABSORBER near the PLM.
  3. Always possible that you have a noise source/signal absorber that is only active at certain times of the day.  Try to look for patterns in the communication problems.  If you think you are having issues communicating with a device, run a query on it.  The ISY will try 3 times to communicate and then tag the device as "failed to communicate with.."

Intermittent problems are the worst.  Very difficult to track down and be sure that you've found the culprit.  Give us a bit more detail and what your system looks like and what devices you are having problems with (i.e. 2477 dimmer vs 2476 dimmer)

First of all, thank you again for all of the help from everyone who has responded here!

My system is comprised of all dual band modules, approximately 95 Insteon modules and 21 Z-Wave modules (purchased since about 2012). It occurred to me that since some of those Insteon devices have multiple nodes (not sure if that is the correct terminology) like an 8 button switch, maybe I have exceeded some limit of total nodes within the ISY?  I've got at least 7 of those 8 button wireless switches (2342-222), and 12 motion sensors (2842-222) which create 3 nodes each.  All of my dimmers are the 2477D and switches are 2477S.  I also have about 15 hidden door sensors (2845-222) which also create 3 nodes each.  I have a few inline modules like the 2442-222 micro module dimmer as well as 3 fanlincs (2475F).  If this helps, it takes 10 seconds to initially load the console and another 50 seconds to load the Programs tab.

I'm embarrassed to say that I have approximately 600 programs. Unfortunately I don't have any experience in programming so I know that I've been very inefficient in writing my programs which probably accounts for my over abundance of programs.  I also have 190 integer variables and 30 state variables.  I hope that helps explain my installation.

I hear ya on the difficulty in troubleshooting intermittent problems.  I'm trying to determine if there is some pattern when each anomaly occurs, including looking at the log to see what other events happened around the time of the light not turning on or not turning off.  I did have a Philips Sonicare toothbrush charger which started adding noise and I removed that (4 years ago) and things were much better after that.  So maybe I do have something else now causing noise.  

So it sounds like my PLM is not the issue and since I haven't figured out the problem, things might get worse if I tried swapping my old PLM for the new one.  

2 hours ago, piconut said:

First of all, thank you again for all of the help from everyone who has responded here!

My system is comprised of all dual band modules, approximately 95 Insteon modules and 21 Z-Wave modules (purchased since about 2012). It occurred to me that since some of those Insteon devices have multiple nodes (not sure if that is the correct terminology) like an 8 button switch, maybe I have exceeded some limit of total nodes within the ISY?  I've got at least 7 of those 8 button wireless switches (2342-222), and 12 motion sensors (2842-222) which create 3 nodes each.  All of my dimmers are the 2477D and switches are 2477S.  I also have about 15 hidden door sensors (2845-222) which also create 3 nodes each.  I have a few inline modules like the 2442-222 micro module dimmer as well as 3 fanlincs (2475F).  If this helps, it takes 10 seconds to initially load the console and another 50 seconds to load the Programs tab.

I'm embarrassed to say that I have approximately 600 programs. Unfortunately I don't have any experience in programming so I know that I've been very inefficient in writing my programs which probably accounts for my over abundance of programs.  I also have 190 integer variables and 30 state variables.  I hope that helps explain my installation.

I hear ya on the difficulty in troubleshooting intermittent problems.  I'm trying to determine if there is some pattern when each anomaly occurs, including looking at the log to see what other events happened around the time of the light not turning on or not turning off.  I did have a Philips Sonicare toothbrush charger which started adding noise and I removed that (4 years ago) and things were much better after that.  So maybe I do have something else now causing noise.  

So it sounds like my PLM is not the issue and since I haven't figured out the problem, things might get worse if I tried swapping my old PLM for the new one.  

So, the good news is that with 95 dual band devices you should have no worries about phase coupling...

The ISY994 PRO is capable of handling 1000 nodes and 1000 programs.  Since you are not using Scenes, you should be comfortably below the node limit.

The PLM is capable of handling 1000 links.  You should be below that limit as well.  Even if you were above the limit (yes it's possible to be over the limit) the symptoms would be different.

That's all the good news.  You'll need your Sherlock Holmes cap to watch for patterns and experiment with possible problem devices.  Since your programs turn devices on/off directly (not in scenes), an error should be generated when a device doesn't respond.  Errors should also be generated if devices don't respond during the 3 am query.  These will be in the Log file "Error 0".  You may be able to use these errors to localize your communication problem (particular circuit or area in your home).

Other than the log file, the best that I can offer at the moment is unplugging possible offenders near the PLM or problem devices to see if things improve.  Difficult when things are intermittent. 

Generated the following error log by issuing an ON command to a device that I had unplugged

image.png.eb047f02837f445ef72248c6983875e6.png

I realized after I read your post that the only place I was looking for errors was in the main LOG.  I guess I've never used the Error Log before.  When I ran the Error Log, there seemed to be alot of issues but I have no idea how to interpret it.  I didn't find any Error 0 references in the error log.  Is there a reference somewhere that I can lookup these other error codes to see if this relates to the intermittent issues I'm seeing?   Here is the last two weeks of my error log:

Sun 2024/03/10 03:00:53 AM	System	-5012	105
Sun 2024/03/10 03:00:53 AM	System	-5012	0
Sun 2024/03/10 03:00:56 AM	System	-170001	[UDSockets] HTTP:26 error:6
Sun 2024/03/10 03:33:14 AM	System	-5012	108
Sun 2024/03/10 03:33:15 AM	System	-170001	[UDSockets] HTTP:33 error:6
Sun 2024/03/10 08:47:28 AM	System	-110022	/CONF/2BCEDF.REC
Sun 2024/03/10 08:47:28 AM	System	-110011	/CONF/2BCEDF.REC
Sun 2024/03/10 09:00:03 AM	System	-110022	/CONF/469ED0.REC
Sun 2024/03/10 09:00:03 AM	System	-110011	/CONF/469ED0.REC
Sun 2024/03/10 11:02:49 AM	System	-100	[DHCP] state=RENEW
Sun 2024/03/10 03:28:50 PM	System	-5012	109
Sun 2024/03/10 03:33:04 PM	System	-60006	n/a
Sun 2024/03/10 03:33:09 PM	System	-60006	n/a
Sun 2024/03/10 09:53:28 PM	System	-100	[DHCP] state=RENEW
Mon 2024/03/11 12:16:48 AM	System	-5012	110
Mon 2024/03/11 01:33:37 AM	System	-140000	my.isy.io
Mon 2024/03/11 01:34:09 AM	System	-140000	my.isy.io
Mon 2024/03/11 01:34:09 AM	System	-60001	pool.ntp.org
Mon 2024/03/11 01:34:09 AM	System	-60006	Stopping retries/next cycle
Mon 2024/03/11 01:34:47 AM	System	-140000	my.isy.io
Mon 2024/03/11 01:35:22 AM	System	-140000	my.isy.io
Mon 2024/03/11 01:35:57 AM	System	-140000	my.isy.io
Mon 2024/03/11 01:36:32 AM	System	-140000	my.isy.io
Mon 2024/03/11 01:37:07 AM	System	-140000	my.isy.io
Mon 2024/03/11 01:37:41 AM	System	-140000	my.isy.io
Mon 2024/03/11 01:38:16 AM	System	-140000	my.isy.io
Mon 2024/03/11 01:38:51 AM	System	-170001	[Network-DNS][Task=22] Failed DNS 11/rc=6
Mon 2024/03/11 01:38:51 AM	System	-140000	my.isy.io
Mon 2024/03/11 03:30:23 AM	System	-5011	uuid:0
Mon 2024/03/11 07:34:43 AM	System	-60006	n/a
Mon 2024/03/11 08:46:15 AM	System	-110022	/CONF/2BCEDF.REC
Mon 2024/03/11 08:46:15 AM	System	-110011	/CONF/2BCEDF.REC
Mon 2024/03/11 08:55:56 AM	System	-100	[DHCP] state=RENEW
Mon 2024/03/11 09:35:11 AM	System	-60006	n/a
Mon 2024/03/11 07:44:48 PM	System	-100	[DHCP] state=RENEW
Mon 2024/03/11 11:32:21 PM	System	-5012	111
Tue 2024/03/12 06:42:26 AM	System	-100	[DHCP] state=RENEW
Tue 2024/03/12 09:00:01 AM	System	-110022	/CONF/469ED0.REC
Tue 2024/03/12 09:00:01 AM	System	-110011	/CONF/469ED0.REC
Tue 2024/03/12 09:37:06 AM	System	-60006	n/a
Tue 2024/03/12 05:24:21 PM	System	-100	[DHCP] state=RENEW
Tue 2024/03/12 11:25:14 PM	System	-5012	112
Tue 2024/03/12 11:43:48 PM	System	-5012	113
Wed 2024/03/13 04:06:16 AM	System	-100	[DHCP] state=RENEW
Wed 2024/03/13 08:43:51 AM	System	-110022	/CONF/2BCEDF.REC
Wed 2024/03/13 08:43:51 AM	System	-110011	/CONF/2BCEDF.REC
Wed 2024/03/13 09:00:02 AM	System	-110022	/CONF/469ED0.REC
Wed 2024/03/13 09:00:02 AM	System	-110011	/CONF/469ED0.REC
Wed 2024/03/13 03:08:08 PM	System	-100	[DHCP] state=RENEW
Wed 2024/03/13 09:39:38 PM	System	-5012	114
Wed 2024/03/13 10:39:18 PM	System	-60006	n/a
Wed 2024/03/13 11:29:07 PM	System	-5012	116
Thu 2024/03/14 02:18:22 AM	System	-100	[DHCP] state=RENEW
Thu 2024/03/14 03:39:54 AM	System	-60006	n/a
Thu 2024/03/14 01:03:38 PM	System	-100	[DHCP] state=RENEW
Thu 2024/03/14 01:40:48 PM	System	-60006	n/a
Thu 2024/03/14 01:40:48 PM	System	-60006	Stopping retries/next cycle
Thu 2024/03/14 10:58:12 PM	System	-5012	117
Fri 2024/03/15 12:00:07 AM	System	-100	[DHCP] state=RENEW
Fri 2024/03/15 12:26:08 AM	System	-5012	0
Fri 2024/03/15 01:41:23 AM	System	-5012	118
Fri 2024/03/15 02:41:40 AM	System	-60006	n/a
Fri 2024/03/15 09:00:02 AM	System	-110022	/CONF/469ED0.REC
Fri 2024/03/15 09:00:02 AM	System	-110011	/CONF/469ED0.REC
Fri 2024/03/15 10:42:19 AM	System	-60006	n/a
Fri 2024/03/15 10:59:32 AM	System	-100	[DHCP] state=RENEW
Fri 2024/03/15 02:32:15 PM	System	-5012	0
Fri 2024/03/15 07:38:48 PM	System	-5012	121
Fri 2024/03/15 10:05:13 PM	System	-100	[DHCP] state=RENEW
Sat 2024/03/16 09:15:36 AM	System	-100	[DHCP] state=RENEW
Sat 2024/03/16 01:19:25 PM	System	-5012	123
Sat 2024/03/16 01:44:16 PM	System	-60006	n/a
Sat 2024/03/16 02:41:01 PM	System	-5	Start
Sat 2024/03/16 02:41:03 PM	System	-110022	/CONF/INSTENG.OPT
Sat 2024/03/16 02:41:03 PM	System	-110012	/CONF/INSTENG.OPT
Sat 2024/03/16 02:41:07 PM	System	-110022	/DEF/F6/I1/NLS/EN_US.TXT
Sat 2024/03/16 02:41:08 PM	System	-110022	/CONF/UXT.BIN
Sat 2024/03/16 02:41:08 PM	System	-110012	/CONF/UXT.BIN
Sat 2024/03/16 02:41:56 PM	System	-170001	[Network] Established
Sat 2024/03/16 02:41:56 PM	System	-60006	n/a
Sat 2024/03/16 02:42:10 PM	System	-251001	RX-U 010B000A03000302
Sat 2024/03/16 02:49:57 PM	System	-170001	[TCP-Conn] -1/-140002, Net Module Rule: 1
Sat 2024/03/16 03:42:11 PM	System	-60006	n/a
Sat 2024/03/16 03:54:28 PM	System	-170001	[UDSockets] HTTP:29 error:6
Sat 2024/03/16 03:54:33 PM	System	-170001	[UDSockets] HTTP:29 error:6
Sat 2024/03/16 03:54:38 PM	System	-170001	[UDSockets] HTTP:29 error:6
Sat 2024/03/16 03:54:43 PM	System	-170001	[UDSockets] HTTP:29 error:6
Sat 2024/03/16 03:54:44 PM	System	-170001	[UDSockets] HTTP:29 error:6
Sat 2024/03/16 03:54:49 PM	System	-170001	[UDSockets] HTTP:29 error:6
Sat 2024/03/16 03:54:54 PM	System	-170001	[UDSockets] HTTP:29 error:6
Sat 2024/03/16 03:54:59 PM	System	-170001	[UDSockets] HTTP:29 error:6
Sat 2024/03/16 03:55:04 PM	System	-170001	[UDSockets] HTTP:28 error:6
Sat 2024/03/16 03:55:04 PM	System	-170001	[UDSockets] HTTP:29 error:6
Sat 2024/03/16 03:55:09 PM	System	-170001	[UDSockets] HTTP:28 error:6
Sat 2024/03/16 03:55:09 PM	System	-170001	[UDSockets] HTTP:29 error:6
Sat 2024/03/16 03:55:14 PM	System	-170001	[UDSockets] HTTP:28 error:6
Sat 2024/03/16 03:55:14 PM	System	-170001	[UDSockets] HTTP:29 error:6
Sat 2024/03/16 03:55:19 PM	System	-170001	[UDSockets] HTTP:28 error:6
Sat 2024/03/16 03:55:19 PM	System	-170001	[UDSockets] HTTP:29 error:6
Sat 2024/03/16 03:55:24 PM	System	-170001	[UDSockets] HTTP:28 error:6
Sat 2024/03/16 03:55:24 PM	System	-170001	[UDSockets] HTTP:29 error:6
Sat 2024/03/16 03:55:30 PM	System	-170001	[UDSockets] HTTP:28 error:6
Sat 2024/03/16 03:56:30 PM	System	-10	n/a
Sat 2024/03/16 04:31:03 PM	System	-5011	uuid:0
Sat 2024/03/16 06:10:06 PM	System	-10	n/a
Sat 2024/03/16 07:42:43 PM	System	-60006	n/a
Sun 2024/03/17 12:09:13 AM	System	-5012	26
Sun 2024/03/17 02:40:56 AM	System	-100	[DHCP] state=RENEW
Sun 2024/03/17 06:43:21 AM	System	-60006	n/a
Sun 2024/03/17 01:17:01 PM	System	-100	[DHCP] state=RENEW
Sun 2024/03/17 05:44:19 PM	System	-60006	n/a
Sun 2024/03/17 11:25:16 PM	System	-5012	28
Sun 2024/03/17 11:55:49 PM	System	-100	[DHCP] state=RENEW
Mon 2024/03/18 08:57:18 AM	System	-5012	29
Mon 2024/03/18 10:33:43 AM	System	-100	[DHCP] state=RENEW
Mon 2024/03/18 06:23:13 PM	System	-5012	30
Mon 2024/03/18 07:46:06 PM	System	-60006	n/a
Mon 2024/03/18 07:46:06 PM	System	-60006	Stopping retries/next cycle
Mon 2024/03/18 09:35:44 PM	System	-100	[DHCP] state=RENEW
Mon 2024/03/18 10:39:47 PM	System	-5012	31
Tue 2024/03/19 08:37:53 AM	System	-100	[DHCP] state=RENEW
Tue 2024/03/19 09:00:03 AM	System	-110022	/CONF/469ED0.REC
Tue 2024/03/19 09:00:03 AM	System	-110011	/CONF/469ED0.REC
Tue 2024/03/19 02:03:36 PM	System	-10	n/a
Tue 2024/03/19 07:43:40 PM	System	-100	[DHCP] state=RENEW
Tue 2024/03/19 10:25:02 PM	System	-140005	Net Module Rule: 18
Tue 2024/03/19 11:25:27 PM	System	-5012	32
Tue 2024/03/19 11:47:57 PM	System	-60006	n/a
Wed 2024/03/20 05:31:13 AM	System	-170001	[UDSockets] SMTP:28 error:8
Wed 2024/03/20 05:49:14 AM	System	-170001	[UDSockets] SMTP:28 error:8
Wed 2024/03/20 06:50:34 AM	System	-100	[DHCP] state=RENEW
Wed 2024/03/20 02:20:40 PM	System	-5012	33
Wed 2024/03/20 06:27:58 PM	System	-100	[DHCP] state=RENEW
Wed 2024/03/20 06:49:27 PM	System	-5012	34
Wed 2024/03/20 11:41:58 PM	System	-5012	35
Thu 2024/03/21 05:30:57 AM	System	-100	[DHCP] state=RENEW
Thu 2024/03/21 05:09:09 PM	System	-100	[DHCP] state=RENEW
Thu 2024/03/21 11:24:37 PM	System	-5012	36
Fri 2024/03/22 12:51:00 AM	System	-60006	n/a
Fri 2024/03/22 12:51:05 AM	System	-60006	n/a
Fri 2024/03/22 02:28:59 AM	System	-170001	[UDSockets] HTTP:29 error:6
Fri 2024/03/22 03:00:00 AM	System	-5012	39
Fri 2024/03/22 03:56:19 AM	System	-100	[DHCP] state=RENEW
Fri 2024/03/22 09:00:01 AM	System	-110022	/CONF/469ED0.REC
Fri 2024/03/22 09:00:01 AM	System	-110011	/CONF/469ED0.REC
Fri 2024/03/22 02:40:54 PM	System	-100	[DHCP] state=RENEW
Fri 2024/03/22 02:52:24 PM	System	-60006	n/a
Fri 2024/03/22 07:19:43 PM	System	-5012	42
Sat 2024/03/23 01:13:52 AM	System	-110022	/CONF/2BCEDF.REC
Sat 2024/03/23 01:13:52 AM	System	-110011	/CONF/2BCEDF.REC
Sat 2024/03/23 01:43:04 AM	System	-5012	46
Sat 2024/03/23 01:55:26 AM	System	-100	[DHCP] state=RENEW
Sat 2024/03/23 09:00:02 AM	System	-110022	/CONF/469ED0.REC
Sat 2024/03/23 09:00:02 AM	System	-110011	/CONF/469ED0.REC
Sat 2024/03/23 12:27:46 PM	System	-100	[DHCP] state=RENEW
Sat 2024/03/23 02:54:04 PM	System	-60006	n/a
Sat 2024/03/23 05:29:02 PM	System	-10	n/a
Sat 2024/03/23 11:34:34 PM	System	-100	[DHCP] state=RENEW
Sat 2024/03/23 11:52:56 PM	System	-5012	45
Sun 2024/03/24 12:43:59 AM	System	-5012	49
Sun 2024/03/24 12:54:49 AM	System	-60006	n/a
Sun 2024/03/24 12:54:49 AM	System	-60006	Stopping retries/next cycle
Sun 2024/03/24 02:55:03 AM	System	-60006	n/a
Sun 2024/03/24 03:45:21 AM	System	-5012	50
Sun 2024/03/24 10:40:24 AM	System	-100	[DHCP] state=RENEW
Sun 2024/03/24 10:55:41 AM	System	-60006	n/a

• Like 1

I have more questions than answers for you but in reviewing your error log, are you seeing any “-170001” errors?

example…

:Envelope>

Sat 2024/03/23 07:25:19 PM   0     -170001

I recently updated from a 994i to the eisy and had, and am having, issues with this error. I cannot say for certain but this may have started with the upgrade from the old ISY finder to the new IoX finder.

Just curious so if you do not have time to reply I’ll understand but I may have an idea or 2.

AH yes, and upon expanding your error log I'm seeing a lot of "-170001" errors. 

Do others have any comments on this?

Edited by woodchip
Update

@piconut, I was actually referring to the Log File (not the error log).  When your program runs, and you use a Device Direct command to turn on a device (not s scene), an error should be logged if the device does not respond (Error 0 as shown above).

@woodchip, I'm not much help with the error logs.  I just regurgitate what others have posted without any real understanding of the errors:

https://forum.universal-devices.com/topic/13665-understanding-error-logs/

https://wiki.universal-devices.com/index.php?title=ISY-99i/ISY-26_INSTEON:Errors_And_Error_Messages

• Like 1
1 hour ago, woodchip said:

@IndyMike thanks for the input. I already looked for the error on the wiki site but the forum link provided some info on the 170001 error... which is not an error... confusing?

That is correct, 170001 is an informational message and you do not need to be concerned about those.

I had another anomaly occur with one of the same devices as before.  In this case, I have a program which changes the On Level and Backlight of the Insteon 2477D dimmer to be substantially less during the overnight hours and then switches back to full in the morning.  Once again the dimmer didn't get the commands, or didn't take the commands from the ISY.  I opened the ISY console and tried to manually adjust the On Level and then make sure to write the changes to the device and the dimmer doesn't accept it. However, I can control the dimmer at the switch and also from the ISY console.  When I compared the device links with the links in the ISY I got these errors:  

links_mismatch.PNG

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/1/2024 at 2:17 PM, Techman said:

Do a restore device. that should correct the device link table

Thank you @Techman, restoring the device fixed the links table mismatch problem or that dimmer.  

I'm now thinking that I have multiple issues/problems going on at the same time which of course make it hard to troubleshoot the problem(s).  For instance, I found that I have a plug in On/Off module (Insteon 2635-222) that ghosts ON randomly.  I checked the links table and compared it to what the ISY had and there were only 3 entries and no mismatches.  I setup a program to send me an alert when that module goes ON.  It has gone ON twice in the last two weeks and each time I reviewed the log to see if any other things occurred around the same time but didn't find anything.  I also did a FIND in the programs for all instances of that device and I have none, except for that simple program. I also did a factory reset on the device but the problem still occurs.

Any suggestions as to what I can do to try to resolve this random ON event with this device?

ghostON_links_table_comparison.PNG

There has been no load plugged into the ON/OFF module during these random ON events.  There is also no program that includes any reference to the module (with the exception of the one program that watches for an ON event).  I should mention too that it is not part of any Scene.  At some point in the past, I had a "night-light" lamp plugged into it but it kept going ON when it wasn't supposed to which is what prompted me to just leave it plugged in without any load attached to it and see if it continues to have the random ON events.

no_scene.PNG

The options you have selected are OK and wouldn't have any impact on your issue.

In your previous post you posted a screenshot of your module which shows it as a member of a scene yet you mentioned that's it's not included in a scene.  If it's still a member of that scene then you most likely have a program that's turning that scene on