Unable to "Find/Replace" many programs after migrating from 994i to eisy with Matters+ dongle

Go to solution Solved by woodchip,

The "Find/Replace" feature in programs cannot find many of the programs I migrated over to eisy although the the non-found programs appear to be working. Programs calling on those non-found programs also appear to be working whils the "detailed status icons" features is not showing on the called programs. No "newly created" programs are able to be found but they appear to run. Any thoughts on this anomily are appreciated.

Some migration behavior problems can be expected with programs. Try opening and saving programs that you are having problems with and/or have a yellow icon

Also, I would close and restart iox, and if that doesn't help, unplug and replug the eisy, that might help with program migration behavior problems as well

Edited by paulbates

I've repaired all programs which had yellow icons and I've not only opened and re-saved programs which "Find/Replace has been unable to find I've gone so far as to delete some of these programs and recreate them with new names as well as rebooting and cold starting after re-saving and/or recreating. Currently "Find/Replace" cannot find any newly  created programs although they appear in the popup menu for the F/R feature.

Posted (edited)

I'm about ready to try a factory reset of the eisy. All my Insteon, Z-Wave nodes and scenes appear to be working. I've about exhausted ideas for fixing this issue.

Edited by woodchip
Text error.
21 minutes ago, paulbates said:

Wondering if it's a problem with iox on your pc itself. Before going the factory reset route, try clearing the java cache and re-installing iox.

Went so far as to clear cache and uninstall Jave... than reinstall Java and current version of IoX. Still having the same issue. Looks like I'm not alone.

10 minutes ago, mjrush said:

I've never used the Find/Replace on programs before.  I just tried it and there appears to be a lot of programs it can't find. This is on eisy v5.8.0.

I think this needs to be a ticket for the UD tech group.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, woodchip said:

I've opened a ticket regarding this issue and will add to this thread when/if resolution is found.

Thanks all!

Curiously I tried mine randomly on various programs. Very strange results: either did nothing,60% or found the wrong program 30%, or found the right one 10%

Please report back after talking with UDI.. thanks.

• Like 1

Quick up date:

• No "XML Pares Errors" for the past 36-48 hours. This issue may have been resolved.
  • The "Find/Replace" ticket is now in process with UD.

I'll update as info regarding this topic is provided.

16 minutes ago, woodchip said:

No "XML Pares Errors" for the past 36-48 hours.

When you were getting the error how were you trying to connect to the device? Were you local and were you using the auto found addresses for the device? I see some old posts relating to this error dealing with people trying to use the Portal URL to access the device. If you're local you shouldn't use the remote URL found on the portal. Just use the IP or eisy.local (https://eisy.local:8443/desc) that should be found automatically. It's possible you would want/need to clear the .state files from your temp directory. You can find reference to that in the wiki

19 minutes ago, woodchip said:

The "Find/Replace" ticket is now in process with UD.

Would be interesting to learn what you're doing here. Sounds like you and @mjrush are performing a strange search that I've honestly never attempted. Are you searching for a program? That should only find once (I assume).  (how do you search for missing programs?) I usually just try to find devices. Find/Replace is usually a troubleshooting step when trying to find a random program that might impact a misbehaving device. 

I did notice if you use "Raw Text" that capitalization must match. I tested to find "night" and it didn't find anything. Changed it to "Night" and it found many locations the word was used. 

I would suggest making a copy of the full program tree. "Copy folder to Clipboard", paste into notepad, then perform a search in there and see what programs are being referenced to see if it has some missing devices.

1 hour ago, Geddy said:

Would be interesting to learn what you're doing here.

I had the same results.. search.. choose programs.. a dropdown appears with all your programs... select one and hit find... it either doesn't find it, or goes to a completely different program.. I too have never used this part of the search but the behavior is definitely wrong. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Geddy said:

Are you searching for a program? That should only find once (I assume).  (how do you search for missing programs?) I usually just try to find devices. Find/Replace is usually a troubleshooting step when trying to find a random program that might impact a misbehaving device. 

Hi @Geddy, yes I too use Find for troubleshooting. The Find functions I use most are Your Devices, Program, Scene, X10 and Variable,,, pretty much in that order. Find has always found every iteration of the type (Device, Program, etc.) for me whether being called for inside another program(s) or the actually program even if that program exists in multiple folders (which I do not advise). Here is an example of the Find Program failure I sent UD regarding this issue...

image.png.a53ef558c48507a110cd8d9a5b0cd285.png

In this example Find was run from the top of the tree... it found the first instance of the program (which is being called in the yellow highlighted program) but it stopped there and did not find the (actual/prime) program 6 lines down the tree (in red rectangle).

There;s more to this but I leave it here for now.

22 minutes ago, dbwarner5 said:

I too have never used this part of the search but the behavior is definitely wrong.

I have used this hundreds of times on my 994 with never a problem.

25 minutes ago, dbwarner5 said:

it either doesn't find it, or goes to a completely different program

Did the program it went to (found) a program which called for the program you were searching for?

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Geddy said:

When you were getting the error how were you trying to connect to the device? Were you local and were you using the auto found addresses for the device? I see some old posts relating to this error dealing with people trying to use the Portal URL to access the device. If you're local you shouldn't use the remote URL found on the portal. Just use the IP or eisy.local (https://eisy.local:8443/desc) that should be found automatically. It's possible you would want/need to clear the .state files from your temp directory. You can find reference to that in the wiki

Always local. Not certain if I understand your meaning of "device" in this question and I was not using portal but may have been connected to PG3 through IoX AC.

Edited by woodchip
Clarity

I tried searching for programs again.  When it does find a program it seems to be a program that's called by another program.  It finds the text in a program, not the actual program.  Maybe it's not really looking for programs but references to programs.

I never used this feature before.  When I see something in the forum that I haven't tried before, sometimes I will try it.  Learned a lot of things from the forum.

• Like 1
52 minutes ago, woodchip said:

Not certain if I understand your meaning of "device" in this question

I just forgot if you were connecting to an eisy or Polisy and I was too lazy to scroll up and find out as I typed it so "device" was just my filler.

The other posts that I found (using Google Site Search) for the error referenced using the portal URL so that made me wonder if you were using something that started with "https://my.isy.io/isy". Seems that sometimes people will save that URL and reload the finder address and something in the address might have changed causing the issue.

56 minutes ago, woodchip said:

I was not using portal but may have been connected to PG3 through IoX AC.

The three aren't the same. Each are independent (in a connection situation...typically). I'm sure down in the weeds somebody could correct me on this, but for this instance just pointing out that it wouldn't matter. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Geddy said:

The three aren't the same. Each are independent (in a connection situation...typically). I'm sure down in the weeds somebody could correct me on this, but for this instance just pointing out that it wouldn't matter. 

You've lost me here. What 3 (PG3, IoX and AC)? I'm a bit confused about the new IoX and its function beyond the old ISY Finder. AC has not really changed (for eisy) much as far as I see and I'm a novice regarding PG# but very interested in diving in once I get the basics stable.

I.m open to any suggestions and/or help with PG3 as I have several other devices which are IFTTT and just waiting for me to add them into the mix (PG3, IoX, eisy, AC... what ever). Should I look at IoX as bridge between Java and the AC GUI? Or am I totally off-base? Or maybe a better (simple minded) way to look at IoX is as a "browser" and AC is the Java GUI. Is that a KISS view?

Edited by woodchip
Clarification

ISY Finder was renamed IoX Launcher, they both serve the same function

AC = Admin Console

PG3 = Polyglot version 3, which is accessible from the IoX Launcher when you click on version

Edited by Techman
1 hour ago, Techman said:

ISY Finder was renamed IoX Launcher, they both serve the same function

AC = Admin Console

PG3 = Polygot version 3, which is accessible from the IoX Launcher when you click on version

I know what the acronyms are and what they stand for I’m just questing the “simple functions”. On this site there is a forum: “eisy for Hardware related discussions…” an “IoX Support for ISY on Anything (IoX) - support for the ISY system running on all platforms” a “Polyglot v3 (PG3x) for All things Polyglot v3 (PG3/PG3x) on either…”.

I opened this topic in this (IoX Support) because to me it’s software related not hardware (eisy) and not (Polyglot v3). I’ve been using a UD 994 for a little over a decade. When posting a topic I always wonder if I’m posting in the correct forum. That is why I’m questing what the simple functions are.

To me IoX works somewhat like a “browser/search engine” (a “finder”). AC is like a Java GUI for the isy (ie; software), but there is no AC or software forum as such. Polyglot is… well polyglot… it’s kind of self-explanatory… a library of different language translators/converters for the Java GUI (AC).

Your thoughts?

I’ve had no error in AC the past 72 hours. This morning, I received this error image.png.3695e32c8c3f7685a59cffb45d180480.png after opening the AC. The node tree also displayed about a dozen or so “waiting rewrites” icons image.png.d9c080a37d8fcb18eeb9d764eac0cf58.png. Apparently, I had closed the AC with both “Automatic Writes to Devices” and “Automatic Writes to Battery Powered Devices” buttons image.png.4121c551f5defb4a5f22ab1d38074469.png in the ribbon turned off. I understand IoX remembers changes but should AC be displaying this error message?

I turned both buttons back on, waited for the writes to complete, then closed the AC, reopened IoX logged into AC and immediately received these 3 popups… image.png.0cc33009df5c859627a2dc2c8e84ee2d.png image.png.e45f23ba3337333ff2d0bd7ae2b77ad9.png image.png.9a2ee766965a9fe38f1176d23ef8e80b.png

After logging in to the "Authenticate EISY" popup I cleared the 2 error popups closed AC, opened IoX and again signed into AC. At this point I did not receive any arrors and AC/isy appeared stable. 

This may not be the appropriate place to document this issue and perhaps I should open a new topic but this is a continuation of “things” experienced after migrating from 994 to eisy. I'm open to any suggestions.