Late to the game but finally ordered the eisy, but I am really going to miss web interface.

Go to solution Solved by K-bert,

If my understanding is correct, everything needs to be done via UD Mobile or attaching an HDMI monitor, keyboard, mouse?

I'm curious what people did to get started with the eisy when upgrading from the isy994.

The reason why I held off getting the eisy was simple, I do not have room on my desk for an HDMI type monitor. I have 4 monitors on the desk and they are all Thunderbolt3. You can get an HDMI signal from the TB3 signal but putting an HDMI signal into the TB3 signal is basically impossible. I also do not have USB keyboard and mouse.

The web interface for the isy994 wasn't super smooth but I kind of liked it that way, kind of following in the Craigslist fashion. Oh well, maybe I can find the world's smallest HDMI monitor.

• Solution

I migrated from an ISY994 to EISY early last year. Mine sits on a shelf next my modem and router in the basement. The only three things connected to it are the Z-matter dongle, a USB Insteon PLM, and the power cord. I have never connected a monitor or mouse or keyboard. I had to do the initial setup using the UD Mobile to get it connected to my home network, but after that I have used the java based admin console to set everything up and change things from either my desktop or laptop computer.

I just followed the instructions fond here:

https://wiki.universal-devices.com/index.php?title=Eisy:User_Guide

I hope this helps.

K

53 minutes ago, K-bert said:

I migrated from an ISY994 to EISY early last year. Mine sits on a shelf next my modem and router in the basement. The only three things connected to it are the Z-matter dongle, a USB Insteon PLM, and the power cord. I have never connected a monitor or mouse or keyboard. I had to do the initial setup using the UD Mobile to get it connected to my home network, but after that I have used the java based admin console to set everything up and change things from either my desktop or laptop computer.

I just followed the instructions fond here:

https://wiki.universal-devices.com/index.php?title=Eisy:User_Guide

I hope this helps.

K

That is great to hear!! Thank you.

UD mobile is fabulous for what it provides, and I use it all the time. But it can't sub for a full UI for initial programming and maintenance, except for the simplest of setups.

If you could only use the mobile interface (with all its hardware related limitations), that might be the end of the platform!

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch

I am only a very seldom user of ISY mobile and only use it on vacation out of the country mostly.

I have used some graphic gui interfaces on other softwares and prefer less gui for so many devices, over the visual scanning over tiny icons and trying to remember what they are supposed to be with their 16x16 bit graphic blurs.

The other option would be graphic displays of rooms with icons strewn around the picture.

Text lists of objects with real words that describe objects work much better for me. Maybe 4K monitors or phone screens are not enough as I haven't ever carried a magnifying glass, yet.

Coming from am 8 bit and text environment I find the mobile app very worktable, not fancy but I have no idea how one would improve the idea...4 directional scrolling to look for that temperature sensor?

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

I just received my EISY today. I currently use a network cable to go from the Insteon PLM to the ISY994. Now with the EISY you need USB to reach the PLM. Can I use a regular USB to RJ45 network adapter? Or do I have to purchase the actual "Serial PLM Kit" ? I have plenty of these adapters laying around from different mfg's but wasn't sure if the "Serial PLM Kit" was something specific to UD?

1 hour ago, raymondjiii said:

I just received my EISY today. I currently use a network cable to go from the Insteon PLM to the ISY994. Now with the EISY you need USB to reach the PLM. Can I use a regular USB to RJ45 network adapter? Or do I have to purchase the actual "Serial PLM Kit" ? I have plenty of these adapters laying around from different mfg's but wasn't sure if the "Serial PLM Kit" was something specific to UD?

Pinouts on generic USB -> RJ45 adapters do not match for Insteon PLMs so they will not work. 

The options are to build your own cable (instructions are posted somewhere on the forum) or purchase one from UD.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Javi said:

Pinouts on generic USB -> RJ45 adapters do not match for Insteon PLMs so they will not work. 

The options are to build your own cable (instructions are posted somewhere on the forum) or purchase one from UD.

Got it, thank you!

If I were to purchase a new Insteon USB PLM, it either comes with a PLM specific USB cable, or can any USB cable work? (With the USB PLM)