EISY upgrade....what a time suck!

Go to solution Solved by Techman,

• Solution
1 minute ago, raymondjiii said:

And what is this...you launch IoX launcher and you get a "Not Found" "Error" when the EISY is sitting right there on the IoX Finder window. You acknowledge the OK but only get a second one. The old 994i has already been removed.

Clear your Java cache, checking all 3 boxes, then download the IoX Launcher from here

https://isy.universal-devices.com/start.jnlp

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Techman said:

Make sure one one sensor at a time is in the linking mode. Once in the linking mode right click on the device and click on restore device.

I have a new EISY and a new USB PLM as well. Initially I got things going but it could not find one switch, one outlet (despite another outlet being right next to the one it couldn't find) and a bunch of lamp modules. Trying to do each leak detector was a massive hassle but eventually I found the "do not write updates to battery devices" (maybe that's not the exact phrase) but basically it queues up the writes and then I can enable each one then update it.

I would have thought a backup from 994i to eisy (even with new PLMs) would have just "worked". I mean the full device list and all links are known, nothing has changed between my backup and purchasing the eisy, the wifi is still the same (for UD Mobile anyway), both 994i (was) and the eisy (is) using wired network. They are both in the same location as well as the PLMs in the same location. (The old serial PLM was unplugged before the migration process.)

One thing I did do in order to try to "get ahead of the game" is that I switched on the old Insteon signal repeater (phase coupler) that you mount in (or near) your electrical panel. I know Insteon stopped selling this model a long time ago and it's recommended to use two plug in repeaters with one on each leg. I did switch to the plug in repeaters but I also added two switches to the in panel phase coupler "just in case" I ever wanted to turn them back on...so I did turn those back on with the hope that they would "help" with the updates. What I don't understand is that it "couldn't communicate" with this or that device but yet the programs still ran and worked (with the same devices that it couldn't communicate with)!

Would you know where the setting is in IoX console to disable the scanning the network on launch? I must have added that option because that is annoying as hell when you are trying to start up. I didn't have that set before so maybe I checked something during the migration. Thank you!

The not found errors on startup are driving me crazy but I will install another copy of IoX launcher.

One other thing that's annoying me is that on "Configuration"-->"Network Settings"  Automatic DHCP is checked and greyed out, no way to turn it off. I always used a static IP and would prefer to keep doing so but it looks like that is no longer possible.

Maybe the "scanning at start" is on this same page "Query at Restart" - I unchecked that.

One other thing that's annoying me is that on "Configuration"-->"Network Settings"  Automatic DHCP is checked and greyed out, no way to turn it off. I always used a static IP and would prefer to keep doing so but it looks like that is no longer possible.

Maybe the "scanning at start" is on this same page "Query at Restart" - I unchecked that.
Static IP addresses need to be assigned by your router's DHCP reservation table to avoid potential massive LAN problems.

UD and followers got tired of newbies constantly messing up their LANs and it was eventually disabled in ISY boxes

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, larryllix said:

Static IP addresses need to be assigned by your router's DHCP reservation table to avoid potential massive LAN problems.

UD and followers got tired of newbies constantly messing up their LANs and it was eventually disabled in ISY boxes

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

When you have an IP address collision it's usually made quite fairly clear to the user. Most routers have a range for static vs dhcp and if you have table kept in a note somewhere, it shouldn't be a problem. The default gateway, dns, network mask is exactly the same for every single entry...unless you've got some fancy "subnets in your house". I use static for almost everything, in part because everything is wired except iphones and tablets.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, raymondjiii said:

I did the clear all 3 boxes but used a start.jnlp that I had. I'll try another download and see if the About version changes.

Use the link I posted, the IoX Launcher was updated a while back. You most likely had the previous version

Edited by Techman
11 hours ago, raymondjiii said:

When you have an IP address collision it's usually made quite fairly clear to the user. Most routers have a range for static vs dhcp and if you have table kept in a note somewhere, it shouldn't be a problem. The default gateway, dns, network mask is exactly the same for every single entry...unless you've got some fancy "subnets in your house". I use static for almost everything, in part because everything is wired except iphones and tablets.

I have owned many routers over the years and not one ever had a separate area for static IP assignments.

I use many static IP address but, they are always fixed within the routers LAN assigned area and made static by using the router's DHCP reservation table. I have experienced way too many IP address collisions over the years, and the results are not always obvious because your router is not aware of them. Collisions can plague your system for months before finding them with random unrelated devices acting strangely.

It's your only option with ISY devices now.

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, larryllix said:

I have owned many routers over the years and not one ever had a separate area for static IP assignments.

I have not seen one that doesn't. The new fiber unit from my cable company, Synology routers, Apple routers...just to name a few.

I can appreciate the fact of why UD fixes the IP address with DHCP for the reasons stated, I just wish they chose a higher up IP address. My current router only lets me have one "starting point" for dhcp addresses, so I have to now set the start address to 192.168.1.150. I will never have 254 - 150 + 1 = 105 devices that will use DHCP. I'm sure I could move say 5 devices from static to DHCP but that still leaves a block of 100 internal (internal to the house) IP addressed wasted. I understand that in theory it's possible to setup DHCP to mac address mapping which basically gives you the same IP on every dhcp lease renewal. My cable company locks down what you can do to their routers for the exact same reason that UD does, people screwing up their home network and then calling support. Oh well.

@hart2hart I saw your question before you deleted it and yes you are right, that would work perfectly as an alternative to being locked into the .150 IP address. But, my cable company does not let anyone have access to their router with the exception of one and only one setting: where do the DHCP addresses start. So I can't do what you suggested. I am considering getting another Synology RT6600ax and put that as the "head router" within my home network. I have all RT6600ax's throughout the house but working as a full wifi 6 tri-channel "access point" mesh. If I buy another unit, for $300, and this time install it as a "router" and not an "access point" then I can do what you propose. It will add one more hop to all of my network traffic but maybe it's not a bad idea just to have control (not just for the EISY device). I have heard that my cable company will give you a one-time shot to convert your cable modem (router) to an access-point device (basically a fiber "cable-modem") but then there's no return and they offer no assistance if it "doesn't work for you." Sounds like a setup to me and having no network for a week is not going to fly with my employer.