Handing off an established ISY/Insteon system

Hi all,

I'm moving and I'm planning to leave the ISY 994i/Insteon-based lighting automation system for the new owner. Does anyone have any insights into how best to pass on this system?

Some concerns I have are these:

• Will the lights and time-based scenes still work if the ISY is disconnected from a router/the internet? There may be a gap between the time I shut off the Verizon services to the house and when the new owner starts a service. I want to make sure the lights are working for him during that gap.
  • Can someone remind me where to download the files one needs to install to Admin Console used to manage the 994i over a LAN? I need to tell the new owner where to get that. 
  • If the owner powers down the ISY, connects it via an ethernet cable to their router, and then boots the ISY to restart service and get a new IP address on the home network, will the Admin Console software automatically discover the ISY on that network? If not, do I have to provide instructions to the owner on how to find the IP address of the ISY on the network? It's been so long since I set this up that I've forgotten how to set this up the first time. ;)   

If there are other things I should think about, please share your thoughts. 

Thanks in advance!

Mark 

Posted (edited)

Being that the ISY994 has been discontinued and is no longer supported. The new buyer, especially if he's not a techie, would probably be better off using the Insteon Hub.  If you don't have a lot of devices then the devices shoiuld be factory reset and then paired to the Insteon Hub. The Hub is fully supported by Insteon via a nominal annual subscription.

In answer to your questions:

The ISY will still function if it's not connected to the internet. 

The admin console (now called IoX Launcher) can be downloaded from here:

https://isy.universal-devices.com/start.jnlp

The new router needs to be configured to support DHCP. The ISY will be discoverable via the admin console, the computer must have the current version of Java installed in order to run IoX Launcher.

Here's the expiration info for the ISY994:

https://www.universal-devices.com/finalbye994/

Edited by Techman
  • Like 1

There's not nearly enough information to give a comprehensive answer, except nothing time-based will work without the ISY. The ISY will work without the internet, but the clock will very slowly drift.

It sounds like it is unknown how you set everything up; i.e., loads vs scenes vs programs. All things considered and like Techman said, I would remove the ISY and factory-reset every Insteon device. You/they will probably end up doing this anyway if you don't have the ISY login name and password.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1aPQX8rjJ4

Otherwise, I would just leave it, and let the new owner figure it out if he wants to. It will work as you left it for a while, at least. But what functionally makes sense to you may not to them.

• Like 1