Polisy Insteon devices extremely slow to respond suddenly

I've searched and cannot find what I'm looking for so am posting, hopefully someone can help.

Last night for the very first time in the many years I've been using this system (Polisy with Insteon PLM and a USB Z-Wave stick), all of the Insteon devices failed to trigger at their normal "evening" interval but my light bulbs connected through Hue worked just fine and triggered on time.  I've also noticed that when I give commands to my Echo's to turn something on and off, if it's an Insteon device, it either has a HUGE delay of like 10 seconds or better, or it just never happens (very rarely it's instant like it always has been), but also noticing that my Hue connected light bulbs are spot on still and work perfect and instant like always.

Is this something where I can just unplug the PLM and plug it back in and see if that works, or should I shut down the Polisy unit first (how do I do that exactly, I can't find any info on how to reboot the whole box or shut the whole box down)?

Is this common, or where would you guys start?  I don't know if this is a common symptom of a failing PLM or if something else is wrong... as I stated, this system has been absolutely rock solid for many years.  This is a sudden, new change.

Thank you in advance

Posted (edited)

How old is the plm, from approximately what year?

I'd start with unplugging/replugging. There are more detailed diagnostics to try later, but in my experience if that simple tests restores things to normal, then your plm is on it's way to dying

Edited by paulbates

Well, I have a bad memory, because I just looked and realized pretty quickly that I don't actually have a PLM, I have the Insteon USB stick sticking out of the back of the Polisy.

Again, has been this way for years and nothing honestly has changed.  I just kind of physically looked and moved a couple things around a little and suddenly it seems everything is now snappy and working... I didn't disconnect/unplug anything or change anything, so not sure what is going on.  All of the errors that I had when I opened up the console (I had a handful of device communication errors pop up), I was able to go to that device and query and it communicated and pulled the status instantly and now everything seems to be working.  I'm kind of confused here.

Would someone be able to share the PLM replacement procedure for me?  All references that I find are old broken links to PDFs.  I don't know if the USB PLM replacement procedure is the same however I would assume it is, it's just a different interface doing the same thing.

Thanks again

Actually two things I'm looking for if someone could help:

1) The best/safest actual "reboot" process for the Polisy (I've used the button press method in the past to gracefully reboot it because I didn't find any real straight forward way of doing it as it's basically a series of VMs running on that little box).  Is there an actual graceful reboot process? 

2) PLM replacement procedure.  Those two things would be greatly helpful, if I ultimately end up needing to do anything like that.

Thank you again in advance!

3 hours ago, StangManD said:

Actually two things I'm looking for if someone could help:

1) The best/safest actual "reboot" process for the Polisy (I've used the button press method in the past to gracefully reboot it because I didn't find any real straight forward way of doing it as it's basically a series of VMs running on that little box).  Is there an actual graceful reboot process? 

In the AC under Configuration, there is a reboot button. 

In UD Mobile, under the Admin tab, there is a reboot option. 

Both of  these assume the Polisy is operating. If you cant access it then power cycling is the only way. 

Great, thank you both so much, really appreciate it!

Strangely enough, it all seems to be working perfectly fine now... I've been walking around my house barking orders to "Alexa" to turn lights on and off and it's super snappy again and no issues.  Again, it was ONLY the Insteon devices that were having issues, the Hue controlled devices were triggering just fine through Polisy.  So I really can't explain it, I don't know that the USB Stick Insteon device is going bad... not sure if that's a thing, I have backups for this hardware if I need to change to a PLM or other USB stick if need be, but seems like after picking up the Polisy physically, looking at it and setting it back down, it has somehow resolved.  Very odd.

Thanks again.

• Like 1