ISY994 to EISY: "It's complicated"

Hi, earlier this year, I purchased an EISY and Zmatter dongle and finally getting around to migrate from my ISY994 ZWIR PRO. Reviewing the instructions, I seem to have a few roadblocks to get around. 

1. As thread title might indicate, my ISY has the older Model 300 Zwave board and a pre-req for migration is the Model 500. 
  2. Currently using the Insteon serial PLM. Purchased the USB PLM but inadvertently did not purchase the serial to USB PLM cable.
  3. Along with Zwave and Insteon devices, I've created a number network resources to control some older Yamaha receivers. 

I performed both the full Zwave backup, the ISY backup, and copied the root program folder into a text file, but I'm unclear on what the results will be given the above.

1. What kind of issues should I expect with my Zwave network after restoring to the EISY?
  2. Can I simply follow the wiki for replacing the PLM once I reach that step?
  3. If it's best to start from scratch, I don't want to lose my network resources. Do I just buckle up and copy each one individually to text files or can I export them in their entirety and manually add them later?

Your assistance is appreciated!

Nestor

(#1) 2. USB plm... Plug it into the USB port on the eisy. Conversion cable only needed of you buy a serial plm

(#2) 2. Yes. But it would be best to plug in the plm to the USB port on the "out of the box" eisy, start it up and see the plm connected status prior to attempting the replace plm procedure. I had to restart the eisy a couple of times initially to get there

(#2) 3. It won't hurt to have text copies of NRs, but I'd be more hopeful about the ISY restore

Edited by paulbates

How many z-wave devices do you have?  If not too many, it might be easier to simply add them as new to the EISY.  Be sure to make a note beforehand which scenes and programs contained the zwave devices. 

If my experience is any indication, even with a series 500 ZWave board in the ISY with backup, the transition to the EISY did not go smoothly.  It was a bit of work restoring all the zwave devices and they often ended up with different names (ZY vs ZW) which required fixing of scenes and programs regardless.  If your zwave devices are limited in quantity, I would remove them from the ISY (taking notes where they were and creating a backup of ISY without any zwave devices) and starting from scratch with the EISY and zwave.

15 hours ago, paulbates said:

(#1) 2. USB plm... Plug it into the USB port on the eisy. Conversion cable only needed of you buy a serial plm

(#2) 2. Yes. But it would be best to plug in the plm to the USB port on the "out of the box" eisy, start it up and see the plm connected status prior to attempting the replace plm procedure. I had to restart the eisy a couple of times initially to get there

(#2) 3. It won't hurt to have text copies of NRs, but I'd be more hopeful about the ISY restore

Noted. Thanks.

3 hours ago, oberkc said:

How many z-wave devices do you have?  If not too many, it might be easier to simply add them as new to the EISY.  Be sure to make a note beforehand which scenes and programs contained the zwave devices. 

If my experience is any indication, even with a series 500 ZWave board in the ISY with backup, the transition to the EISY did not go smoothly.  It was a bit of work restoring all the zwave devices and they often ended up with different names (ZY vs ZW) which required fixing of scenes and programs regardless.  If your zwave devices are limited in quantity, I would remove them from the ISY (taking notes where they were and creating a backup of ISY without any zwave devices) and starting from scratch with the EISY and zwave.

About a dozen Zwave, including a thermostat and door lock. I’ll clean out the zwave devices and do another backup. Thx!

Posted (edited)

Migration has begun but not without hiccups. 

1. Removed all Zwave devices and performed backup. 

2. Removed ISY and serial PLM; installed EISY and USB PLM.

3. Booted and restored from backup. 

Some Insteon devices restored. Most didn't. Tried restoring devices but ended up deleting and re-linking devices. `

I haven't started with Z-wave just yet as I wanted to verify my network resource commands and here's where I'm running into issues. My Network Resources commands no longer work. I've tried testing each one and my devices no longer talk back. I tried testing the programs from the ISY and they still work, so the issue lies with the EISY. 

Any ideas?

Nestor

Edit: Scratch that. Just realized I needed to open and save each NR. Other than having trouble resetting some pesky 10 yr old GE/Jasco switches, progress continues. 

Edited by Nestor