EISY transfer from ISY. Error messages in Programs

Go to solution Solved by awzulich,

I just changed from ISY to EISY/IoX and have the following two error messages in my programs. All are Insteon Modules. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Error in Programs/Summary (example)
Name: BR Overhead On
Activity: Not Loaded

Error in Programs
Warning:  Unrecognized Condition (program may not run)
<control ID="DON" NODE="37 B5 C3 1" OP="IS"/>

Thank you
Al Zulich

@awzulich as @Techman asks about the Firmware and UI versions this appears an issue when they don't match. 

Also, make sure that the PLM is connected and that Insteon Support is checked on the Admin Console "Configuration" tab. 

Reference in wiki: https://wiki.universal-devices.com/Eisy:User_Guide#INSTEON_Support
(Note: Screenshot is outdated, but the box is still there.)

Once you confirm you Firmware and UI match and the PLM is connected and Insteon support checked you might need to restore the backup again to fix the program issues. 

Sorry for my ignorance ... Where would I find EISY Firmware and UI version? Is this in the Iox Finder box on startup? Version 5.8.4   uuid:00:21:b9:02:6b:8d

Insteon Support is checked in Admin Console.

I'm still having problems with the migration. I am getting message boxes at startup that IoX cannot communicate with any of the devices. Yet, all of the devices still work. Double checked all of the suggestions above, and once again reloaded the IoX backup. The PLM is ancient, but connected correctly. I'm sorry to keep bugging you all, but I appreciate the help.

It sounds like the PLM isn't communicating with the Eisy. In the admin console, under TOOLS | DIAGNOSTICS | PLM INFO, does it show the PLM as connected?

Is the green LED on the PLM lit?

Are you using a serial or USB PLM?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, awzulich said:

The PLM is ancient, but connected correctly.

How "ancient"? (roughly)

How is it connected to the eisy? (depends on your answers to @Techman's questions above.)

It's quite possible it is just old enough to have gone bad in the transfer, but not very likely to be the case. Perhaps the cable is not seated properly. I know when the eisy first came out UD had a 2 part cable for the Serial USB. Now it appears to be just one cable. Hopefully that limits connection issues.

But be sure that the PLM is connected to a USB port and not the network port of the eisy. Since the "old" serial PLM used what appeared to be a network cable to connect to the ISY994 when you changed to the eisy you have to connect using only USB. 

Not having a good week. Easy question - the PLM is as old as when I first started ISY .. over 15 years. It is connected by the serial PLM connector I bought with the EISY. I have a white light lit on the PLM.

I did what Techman suggested and completely cleared java cache and reloaded the launcher and restored devices. No luck.

To answer the IoX questions, I have locked myself out of the Login on the launcher. It will not take my password. Stupid - I logged back into IoX and mistakenly loaded the ISY backup instead of the IoX. Now I can't get in. I have a request into support, but have not heard back. My password is good here, so I will have to wait for further guidance on passwords to get into IoX launcher.

I haven't worked with this in a long time. I added no modules recently and the others worked, so I left it alone.

You two have spent a great deal of time with me, and I appreciate it. I know the free migration support has long past. I asked Admin Support if paid support is available.

• Like 1

@awzulich glad Support got you back into admin console at least! Did you happen to include anything about this issue on your support ticket or just trying to get you back into admin console?

15+ year old PLM - that's amazing! I know many have had some fail in just a few years. Mine (knocking on wood) is about 7 or 8 years old (if memory serves). With a WHITE light on it? I'm not sure they ever had one with white led on the side of the PLM. Others (that had older PLMs) might be able to answer if old devices had a white light rather than green.

Are you able to control any devices from the admin console or are all your devices with a red exclamation point suggesting they cannot communicate with IoX? That would usually indicate PLM failure or on a bad circuit.

Is the PLM plugged into the same outlet you used for the ISY994?

Have you performed a full power cycle?

• Shutdown the eisy (press and hold the power button until it turns red - or press it 6 times and it should turn red after 30-60 seconds - multi-function button info on wiki)
  • Unplug the PLM from the wall
  • Wait a while (sometimes 2-3 minutes)
  • Plugin PLM - allow light to settle (become solid) - should be green (at least "recent" PLMs) (maybe 60 seconds?)
  • Power up eisy
  • wait ~2-3 minutes for it to boot completely
  • Open admin console

Do you get any errors about communicating to devices? Take a screenshot of any errors you get on logging in if you can.

Try controlling a device (just by turning it on/off). If it work then your PLM is communicating with that device. 

If your programs still have the statements from your first post it might be a corrupt migration. 

At this point I might open another support ticket to see if there is something they see in the progress of the migration that could have corrupted your IoX system. 

https://www.universal-devices.com/my-tickets

By chance - before you left the ISY994 did you make a copy of the programs?  I usually suggest people make a digital copy of all their programs in case something like this happens. This way at least you have a representation of the programs and you can rewrite them fairly easily. Right click on the root program folder and select "copy folder to clipboard" then paste in a text document.  It's probably too late now because if you power up your ISY994 without the PLM it will have a lot of errors and the programs might wipe out and not be of much use. At the very least I would copy from the eisy now to at least have times and schedules even if the programs aren't fully loaded. They'll show the missing nodes (or just say something about the node missing), but times and if's, then's, else text should be available to somewhat help if you have to start completely over. 

Good luck! Maybe @Techman might have some other tips to try. Either way, if you get support to help you please post back if/when this is resolved to know what was done so it might help others down the road.

It will take me a while to work through this. Easy questions below. I will get back to you on the rest.

I cannot control any devices with red exclamation. Status is blank.

PLM plugged into the same outlet as used for ISY994.

Devices work .. I can control a lamp from the wall etc. I have not tried locally controlling from modules if that is your question

Most of the programs are still there. There are just a few with the error messages, so I can retrieve a record. Programs still have messages from first post. Maybe the problem is that the last ISY save was a few years ago, but admin thought it would be ok.

Get an error message with every device while logging in. I'll try to get a screenshot.

I will reply with attempts to hard reboot EISY and other suggestions.

Thanks!!

40 minutes ago, awzulich said:

Devices work .. I can control a lamp from the wall etc

That has nothing to do with IoX (if that's how your wiring works). It's just acting like a normal switch then. If you can't control from the Admin Console then it's a PLM/communciation issue.

41 minutes ago, awzulich said:

Maybe the problem is that the last ISY save was a few years ago, but admin thought it would be ok.

If the backup wasn't from the moment you made the conversion then it's highly possible you've made changes that weren't in that migration backup and is what's causing your problem for missing devices and corrupt programs.

I would:

• Remove a switch you can get to easily from the Admin Console that has an exclamation mark on it
    • meaning it cannot communicate with the PLM/Admin Console
  • Factory Reset the switch
    • Search online for the switch type and the reset method and be sure to follow it exactly!
    • Pressing in the set button for a while (usually until the beeping stops) is most often the hardest part, but be sure you look up for your type of device because it can be different from other items 
  • Add the switch back to Admin Console - I usually auto link - be sure you select to clear out prior links upon adding
  • Test if device can be controlled from IoX.

When you mentioned that your backup was old made me think that you might have made changes and didn't follow the migration steps of making a current backup before moving away from the ISY994. 

I followed your suggestion about disconnecting and reconnecting the EISY and PLM (#2412S ver 3.1 BTW)

Same problem see photos. First image x39 messages.

The last ISY save was done right before migration. It was version 4.90 .. old)

Removed device and tried to add. Got error message in photo 3. Cannot Determine Insteon Engine.

Was able to get Programs as text.

I'm ready for a support ticket if you and Techman are stumped. How much of this thread should I add to the ticket? Should I just reference the thread here?

Thanks for your help, Geddy & Techman. I'm dead in the water here.

eisy2.jpg

eisy4.jpg

eisy7.jpg

"Cannot determine Insteon Engine" means that the PLM is unable to communicate with the device. If you're adding a device it could be that you entered an incorrect device address, or you have poor communications between the device and the PLM.

Take a look at the following article(s)

INSTEON: Troubleshooting Communications Errors - Universal Devices, Inc. Wiki (universal-devices.com)

INSTEON: Troubleshooting Communications Errors - Universal Devices, Inc. Wiki (universal-devices.com)

Can't Determine INSTEON engine (youtube.com)

2 hours ago, awzulich said:

How much of this thread should I add to the ticket? Should I just reference the thread here?

Just give a link to it and they can review if it helps. But sounds like will end up being PLM issue. Keep us posted. 

@awzulich glad you got it sorted out! Hopefully the new PLM will be easy to swap out and work right away. Quick question about that...did you get a Serial or USB PLM? If USB note that some have said they had connection issues at first, but a few power cycles everything connected normally. 

Glad to have this one resolved! Thanks for the update.