5.34 keeps crashing

Bill Morrow

I upgraded my ISY994i to 5.34, as I wanted to use UD Mobile. This all seemed to go fine, with no issues. But I noticed that my limited programs weren't running.  Before I could investigate this issue my ISY went offline while using UD and became non responsive. 

I factory reset my ISY and restored my backup and all seemed good again. I checked the non functional program and it did not show any errors. The ISY went offline again last night and is non responsive again. 

I guess I'll restore to 4.9.

15 minutes ago, Bill Morrow said:

I guess I'll restore to 4.9.

I think you should attempt further troubleshooting before you go back to 4.9. Many have run 5.3.4 without issue. It's likely a power supply issue or corrupt SD card. I would suggest you review the wiki for troubleshooting tips. 

Looking specifically at the lights on front of the ISY:

https://wiki.universal-devices.com/Main_Page#Front_Panel_LEDs/Lights

General troubleshooting: 
https://wiki.universal-devices.com/index.php?title=ISY-99i/ISY-26_INSTEON:Troubleshooting_Flowchart

I never ran the ISY994 with UD Mobile so can't help with those specifics, but you should be fine with the ISY994 and 5.3.4 and think you've got other issues that could possibly continue if you simply try to roll back to 4.9.

• Like 2
On 9/23/2024 at 12:56 PM, Geddy said:

I think you should attempt further troubleshooting before you go back to 4.9. Many have run 5.3.4 without issue. It's likely a power supply issue or corrupt SD card. I would suggest you review the wiki for troubleshooting tips. 

Looking specifically at the lights on front of the ISY:

https://wiki.universal-devices.com/Main_Page#Front_Panel_LEDs/Lights

General troubleshooting: 
https://wiki.universal-devices.com/index.php?title=ISY-99i/ISY-26_INSTEON:Troubleshooting_Flowchart

I never ran the ISY994 with UD Mobile so can't help with those specifics, but you should be fine with the ISY994 and 5.3.4 and think you've got other issues that could possibly continue if you simply try to roll back to 4.9.

I rebooted the ISY and the lights look fine, but it's still offline.

I pulled the memory card, and it says this:

3936207262    0    -5    Start
3936207263    0    -110022    /CONF/INSTENG.OPT
3936207263    0    -110012    /CONF/INSTENG.OPT
3936207267    0    -110022    /DEF/F6/I1/NLS/EN_US.TXT
3936207268    0    -110022    /CONF/UXT.BIN
3936207268    0    -110012    /CONF/UXT.BIN
3936207273    0    -110022    /CONF/UZWNDKEY.TXT
3936207273    0    -110012    /CONF/UZWNDKEY.TXT

No idea what the codes mean or why it's producing multiple errors.

The SD card does not seem to be corrupt.

24 minutes ago, Bill Morrow said:

I pulled the memory card, and it says this:

What does this mean? Pulled it where? The ISY994 can’t run without the SD card in it!

24 minutes ago, Bill Morrow said:

No idea what the codes mean or why it's producing multiple errors.

Review this part of the wiki:

https://wiki.universal-devices.com/ISY-99i/ISY-26_INSTEON:Errors_And_Error_Messages

When you say it “went offline”, what does that mean? Have you changed any network equipment? Is the network cable damaged? Are you able to access the admin console using a computer? 

Since the ISY994 is no longer supported there isn’t much to try other than what has been suggested and outlined in the wiki. 

The upgrade from 4.x to 5.x needed a fair amount of adjusting. It has been so long since that update was pushed out that it is hard to determine what could have gone wrong. It could be as simple as clearing the Java cache or rebuilding the programs. 

20 minutes ago, Geddy said:

What does this mean? Pulled it where? The ISY994 can’t run without the SD card in it!

Review this part of the wiki:

https://wiki.universal-devices.com/ISY-99i/ISY-26_INSTEON:Errors_And_Error_Messages

When you say it “went offline”, what does that mean? Have you changed any network equipment? Is the network cable damaged? Are you able to access the admin console using a computer? 

Since the ISY994 is no longer supported there isn’t much to try other than what has been suggested and outlined in the wiki. 

The upgrade from 4.x to 5.x needed a fair amount of adjusting. It has been so long since that update was pushed out that it is hard to determine what could have gone wrong. It could be as simple as clearing the Java cache or rebuilding the programs. 

Changed the network cable already, although it seemed fine. 

The ISY just stopped working yesterday,  as it did before. I checked the programs when I restored the firmware and they seemed fine, but they do not appear to be running. The ISY said it's offline in the Portal again. 

I wanted to see if the SD card was corrupt,  so I put it in my PC to see if I could read it. It seems fine and Windows did not complain. 

I've seen this a few times over the years usually caused by a program running in an infinite loop after the upgrade.  Sometimes the ISY works until the program starts then the load of the loop overwhelms other processes.  

I have many times encountered the Factory Query program was the culprit. It was "corrected" by the user to run itself causing an infinite loop.  However it could be any program.

• Like 2
9 hours ago, Javi said:

I've seen this a few times over the years usually caused by a program running in an infinite loop after the upgrade.  Sometimes the ISY works until the program starts then the load of the loop overwhelms other processes.  

I have many times encountered the Factory Query program was the culprit. It was "corrected" by the user to run itself causing an infinite loop.  However it could be any program.

Except that rebooting the ISY does not solve this problem temporarily and the SD card only has a tiny bit of space used.