Four Misc Questions

Bonanza

After having a defective PLM followed by a defective ISY99 (two separate returns after debugging with UDI tech support) I’m making some progress on my new Insteon installation but ran into a few more issues:

I can’t create a scene using the A button of a Keypadlinc and an ON button of the same KPL plus another Switchlinc. I set the A button as controller and the KPL On button and Switchlinc as responders. Pressing the A button does nothing.

I created a scene using the B button of a KPL and two Switchlincs as responders. However, it will only turn those lights OFF, never turn them on.

One device has constant “writing†status that will clear periodically if I enable the write device command manually. But if I alter a scene that this device is part of I get the pending write status again. Is that an indication of a defective Switchlinc?

Local control of one of my Switchrelay’s doesn’t work, although I can control the light via the ISY99. It worked fine several weeks ago when I wired it into the switchbox. What did I do to break it?

Thanks in advance for your help.

On the SwitchLinc relay switch. The local paddles don't work but it can be controlled by the ISY99i.

Is it a new switch or years old? Ther older ones had a local button problem where the internal tact switches stopped working. Smarthome was extending the warranty for replacing bad tact switch SwitchLinc Switches.

Hello Bonanza,

Please see my comments below.

With kind regards,

Michel

I can’t create a scene using the A button of a Keypadlinc and an ON button of the same KPL plus another Switchlinc. I set the A button as controller and the KPL On button and Switchlinc as responders. Pressing the A button does nothing.

1. For this to work, you have to make sure that your KPL version is above 1.60. Older KPLs did not allow for the sub buttons to control the load

2. Please make sure your KPL button is in toggle mode

I created a scene using the B button of a KPL and two Switchlincs as responders. However, it will only turn those lights OFF, never turn them on.

1. Please make sure that your KPL is not in the non-toggle mode (it only sends off). Try the Button Toggle button at the bottom of the screen for that KPL to make sure they are in the toggle mode

2. Click on the KPL button in that scene, and make sure the on level/ramp rate for all other responders in the same scene are set properly. Please note an on level of 0 causes the device to turn off regardless of the command it receives

One device has constant “writing” status that will clear periodically if I enable the write device command manually. But if I alter a scene that this device is part of I get the pending write status again. Is that an indication of a defective Switchlinc?

1. If you have 99 PRO series, please make sure that you are in automatic mode and not batch mode. In batch mode, all pending device operations are batched up

2. Otherwise, I would suspect signal/noise issues. Please try querying the device to see if it responds properly

Local control of one of my Switchrelay’s doesn’t work, although I can control the light via the ISY99. It worked fine several weeks ago when I wired it into the switchbox. What did I do to break it?

I think this is a defective switch

Hello Bonanza,

Some answers (and questions) below,

I thought this was going to be an easy one. My recollection is that you cannot turn off the Main load button using a sub button on a KPL dimmer.

The problem is, I just tried it and it worked. I'm using V2.7.15 on a ISY99. I can't explain why this works.

Is it possible that you have the "B button" set in a "non-toggle Off mode"?

One device has constant “writing†status that will clear periodically if I enable the write device command manually. But if I alter a scene that this device is part of I get the pending write status again. Is that an indication of a defective Switchlinc?

This could be due to communication problems with the Switchlinc. Open the "event viewer" on level 3 (/tools/diagnostics/Event Viewer) and look for errors.

I haven't seen a tact switch failure for a great while. Since you indicated this is a new unit, I very much hope it's not the switch.

Does this unit control the load directly? If not (controlling a lamp through a scene), it's possible that the switch is again having communication problems and can't activate the scene responders.

IM

Edit: Michel beat me to the punch again. I must be one slow poster.

Hello Michel,

In a word - WOW. I did not realize that the newer KPL's were able to do this. I can clean up a LOT of programs that I'm using as "work arounds".

Thanks,

IM

1. For this to work, you have to make sure that your KPL version is above 1.60. Older KPLs did not allow for the sub buttons to control the load

The KPL is brand new and is in toggle mode

1. Please make sure that your KPL is not in the non-toggle mode (it only sends off). Try the Button Toggle button at the bottom of the screen for that KPL to make sure they are in the toggle mode

2. Click on the KPL button in that scene, and make sure the on level/ramp rate for all other responders in the same scene are set properly. Please note an on level of 0 causes the device to turn off regardless of the command it receives

Both of these conditions appear correct

1. If you have 99 PRO series, please make sure that you are in automatic mode and not batch mode. In batch mode, all pending device operations are batched up

2. Otherwise, I would suspect signal/noise issues. Please try querying the device to see if it responds properly

I have the 99 Pro and it's in automatic mode. The query runs and returns the light status but no dialog box is displayed - not sure if one is supposed to be displayed. The 1010 symbol remains. Sometime when I manually write the device I get a 'failed to write device message'

I think this is a defective switch

So far I've had 1 PLM, 1 ISY99, this Switchrelay and possibly a Switchlinc (write issue above) all being diagnosed by UDI as defective equipment. I have never in my life seen so much defective gear at one time... It doesn't seem possible. Is the quality of Smarthome stuff this bad?

New Point1: For what it's worth I ran a Scene Test on all scenes and get various levels of success. More times than not I get at least one device with a Failed status, but if I run the same scene multiple times it may pass.

New Point2: I had a pair of access points but could never get the setup sequence to indicate that any outlet is on the other phase from the PLM. All of my devices are connected to recessed lighting where the AP's plug into outlets that don't control any lights so I'm not sure what benefit or diagnostics check is achieved by adding the AP's.

At this point I feel like I've wasted over $2,000 and far too many hours trying to get it to work. Very frustrating.

Yes it does sound like the one SwitchLinc has a local control problem.

I don't think you did anything to it and it has just failed.

Do you know the firmware revision of the switches as reported by ISY? Sometimes knowing that can give clues.

New Point 1 and 2 maybe related.

It sounds like you have a communications problem with some devices.

If you have an electric dryer or stove. Try a few scene tests with them on and see if things change. As they can act like a simple phase coupler.

Long shot here. Do you know if you home is split single phase? I have seen reports of some new housing developments and apartments being three phase with each unit using two of the three Lines and Neutral.

One clue would be if your high power electric appliances are 240 Volt or 208 Volt. 240 is split single phase 208 is two of the three Lines in a three phase feed.

Archived