Pool water temperature

cashoefman

So you still have 3 outputs left to do other stuff.

Also, pool level could be read by buying a pressure transducer from digikey for about $12 and hooking it into one of the analog inputs. Freescale makes them.

You can get the plc code to do a lot of stuff if you can get used to it. Also, using the sync program from io_guy you can write programs in ISY to respond to conditions. Or, you could consider using the x10 feature sending commands to ISY that way.

EDIT: I just realized you can use cai to set the temp. If you use one of the 8 variables as the set point, then have the plc code turn on the heater when the temp drops below that value and turn it off when it gets above it. The variable value can be changed by a REST command

Thanks for the detailed post! And congratulations on becoming my go-to guy when I start messing with this thing next week... :wink:

So you still have 3 outputs left to do other stuff.

Also, pool level could be read by buying a pressure transducer from digikey for about $12 and hooking it into one of the analog inputs. Freescale makes them.

You can get the plc code to do a lot of stuff if you can get used to it. Also, using the sync program from io_guy you can write programs in ISY to respond to conditions. Or, you could consider using the x10 feature sending commands to ISY that way.

EDIT: I just realized you can use cai to set the temp. If you use one of the 8 variables as the set point, then have the plc code turn on the heater when the temp drops below that value and turn it off when it gets above it. The variable value can be changed by a REST command

Thanks for the detailed post! And congratulations on becoming my go-to guy when I start messing with this thing next week... :wink:

Huh, what, I'm confused, what did I say?

:shock:

Is there an inexpensive wireless temp. probe. i.e., that could be put under my dock 80' from the house to record the lake temp. Ideally it would have a digital radout like my wireless outdoor thermometer. I could put it on the counter and read with my webcam.

Thanks,

aLf

Is there an inexpensive wireless temp. probe. i.e., that could be put under my dock 80' from the house to record the lake temp. Ideally it would have a digital radout like my wireless outdoor thermometer. I could put it on the counter and read with my webcam.

Thanks,

aLf

You could put a wireless bridge onto a cai webcontrol unit. If your wireless router makes it to your doc then that would work. A wireless bridge would add $40 to $50 to your total costs. Of course both that and the cai would need a weather proof enclosure and power.

• 3 weeks later...

Davis Instruments (davisnet) makes a remote temperature station that integrates with the Vantage Pro 2 console allowing information to be displayed/sent to various websites or a PC running a weather app. A friend of mine currently moniters the lake temperature at two depths off of his bulkhead and pushes this information to his web page. I currently have one of these remote temperature sensor/transmitters located inside a kegerator so that I know the temperature of my beer keg. Insteon status would definitely be cool.

What would really be the best solution is to have the entire Davis Vantage Pro2 weather station integrated with ISY then you wouldn't even need Weatherbug and you would have ALL local conditions including inside/outside temperature & humidity, wind sustained/gust, rain gauge (and optional solar radiation & UV index which I currently have). The Vantage Pro2 console with WeatherLink IP can be polled directly for information so there should be a way to do this using ISY network module?

The Vantage Pro2 console with WeatherLink IP can be polled directly for information so there should be a way to do this using ISY network module?

Talk to io_guy. He has written a couple applications that run in the background on a pc and set ISY variables. I have his app syncing my cai webcontrol unit with isy variables. If you can use http commands to poll your Davis weather station then I am sure it would work pretty much the same.

• 3 months later...

I recently made additional use of the Davis wireless temperature probe that is installed inside of my kegerator. Without running any weather software on any computer, I can access the temperature of the kegerator from a browser using weather link. I wrote a shell script on my mac that goes out to the internet posted information from my Davis Pro2 weather station including the wireless temperature probe info from the kegerator. This script accesses the webpage, parses the data for the kegerator temperature and uses REST to set an ISY state variable BeerTemp. I created a program to send notification to my phone if the beer temperature goes above 40 degrees. I'm going to get another one of these temperature probes to stick in my freezer since they are good to -40F so that ISY can tell me if the freezer goes above freezing. Real practical solutions for ISY! Even though those wireless temperature probes aren't cheap, they are industrial.

http://www.davisnet.com/product_documen ... _Rev_C.pdf

Next on my list of things to do is to use an Insteon I/O Linc to automate adding resistances in parallel to the thermistor used by my Harmon wood pellet stove so that I can remotely control it!

I recently made additional use of the Davis wireless temperature probe that is installed inside of my kegerator. Without running any weather software on any computer, I can access the temperature of the kegerator from a browser using weather link. I wrote a shell script on my mac that goes out to the internet posted information from my Davis Pro2 weather station including the wireless temperature probe info from the kegerator. This script accesses the webpage, parses the data for the kegerator temperature and uses REST to set an ISY state variable BeerTemp. I created a program to send notification to my phone if the beer temperature goes above 40 degrees. I'm going to get another one of these temperature probes to stick in my freezer since they are good to -40F so that ISY can tell me if the freezer goes above freezing. Real practical solutions for ISY! Even though those wireless temperature probes aren't cheap, they are industrial.

http://www.davisnet.com/product_documen ... _Rev_C.pdf

Next on my list of things to do is to use an Insteon I/O Linc to automate adding resistances in parallel to the thermistor used by my Harmon wood pellet stove so that I can remotely control it!

If you really want to monitor your kegerator send me a PM. I have just patented a system for monitoring kegs using a special coupler I designed and a wifi enabled control board. It posts to our webserver and the user can log on and see how much beer is in the keg as well as the temp, all in graphical form over user specified time periods. It does not monitor consumption directly, it monitors liquid still in the keg and consumption is then calculated from that. It also will send email alerts according to user preference. It also has an optional feature for untapping the keg the instant it goes empty keeping gas out of the beer lines (this is primarily for long glycol systems). I am testing the first prototype right now and it is working quite well. Version 2 should be ready to test next month which I will place in our test bar/restaurants (and my own kegerator of course). If that goes well we will go retail in the early summer. It creates usage reports and notifies the distributer for re-stocking as well. The system is geered mainly for inventory control at bars and restaurants, but we plan on having a scaled down version for the private kegerator.

• 1 year later...
Hello junkycosmos,

We did get a hold of them and we do have plans to support their products. Currently, we are 100% focused on ELK integration.

With kind regards,

Michel

Hi Michel,

Any progress on supporting the RFXCom? They now have a less expensive USB tranceiver that's supported by a variety of automation platforms like Vera and Homeseer. This is really the last piece of the puzzle for myself (this + Kwikset ZWave support).

Thank you!

• 11 months later...
Hello junkycosmos,

We did get a hold of them and we do have plans to support their products. Currently, we are 100% focused on ELK integration.

With kind regards,

Michel

Bump.

I'd really like to integrate weather sensors while also making them easily displayed in the house. The RFXCOM with Oregon sensors seems to be the best variety from a single supplier and reasonably priced.

Well, Davis doesn't have a BBQ temperature sensor like Oregon, but this option looks promising. I didn't know the ISY Weatherbug module could pull down MY data feed vs location based.

Maybe I can get lucky and find a neighbor close by with a data feed already. ;)

Thanks for the tip.

Archived