Can Elk run programs on ISY?

andrew67

I'd like to avoid dumping 100 insteon devices into my ELK M1 and programming it and the ISY at the same time... and would rather have the elk just trigger programs on the ISY... Any way to do this?

My goals are to get the status of the motion sensors to trigger lights, and alarm conditions to trigger lights for safe exit.

Thoughts?

So I think this might be just fine, I just need to get some of the plumbing figured out... so:

Does X10 mean the ELK needs to have some special purpose hardware to put X10 on to an actual power line, or does it refer to X10 commands over rs232 or perhaps encapsulated over the Ethernet? how would the ISY get access to the said X10 commands? through the Insteon PLM? ISY's second serial port?

I get that the ELK has no concept of whats going on in the ISY. I'm counting on it. That way the lighting and the security can each worry about themselves with an enforced separation of what happens in the other box. Not as nice as the integration you have planned, but good enough for the next phase of what I need to do...

Thanks!

Michel,

What does ISY do with "x10" commands sent from Elk via IP.

In other words, I have my Elk and ISY communicating via the M1XEP without a PLM connected to the Elk.

If I add commands to the x10 slots on the Elk that don't have an exported/imported ISY target, does the ISY see these and can it respond to them.

Lou

Michel,

I would like to run some statements by you and you tell me if this is correct.

So, let's say all of your "A" slots on Elk are filled with Insteon devices that were exported/imported to Elk and everything else is empty on Elk.

When Elk says turn on "A1" it sends an IP communication and ISY maps that to the Insteon device and sends the Insteon command instead of an X10.

Now lets say Elk says turn on "B1". It sends an IP command to ISY, but ISY hasn't mapped that to an Insteon device so it sends X10 "B1" command on?

Furthermore, once it send "B1" on, it hears that same signal and a program could respond to it?

Thanks,

Lou

Hi Lou,

If ISY is connected to ELK, then all commands sent by ELK map to ISY node addresses one of which could be an X10 device. It's up to ISY to decide what to send on the wire.

I have to do a little bit more experimentation with ISY hearing back the X10 sent. Today it does not work!

With kind regards,

Michel

Curious,

If you have an Elk XSP connected to a second PLM, and Elk sends a command like "A1 on", then will that command get sent as both an x10 via the xsp and to a node on ISY?

And what happens if Elk sends something like "M1 on" and there is nothing on ISY mapped to M1, does it just ignore it?

Hi Lou,

Yes, ISY would get both:

1. If the address is mapped to an ISY node, then the action is taken for that node

2. The X10 signal is processed by Programs and if there are any conditions met, then they are executed

If a command does not map to an ISY node, then ISY ignores it.

With kind regards,

Michel

I already have an xsp but I don't have second plm. But as I understand then, if I got a second plm and used unmapped x10 addresses on the elk, then elk and isy could talk back and forth.

So if m12 and m13 were empty spots I could write the following programs

Elk

Whenever light "m12" is turned on

Then do something

Whenver something

Then turn on m12

ISY

If X10 M13 turn on is received

Then do something

If something

Then send x10 M13 on

I suppose I could use flags to track status of conditions where Elk could turn a flag on and off in ISY by such programs based on some Elk condition.

So the next question, is the Elk module actually going to happen sometime soon? Writing these programs and buying another plm would be pointless if the module were installed.

Archived