Official Firmware Release: 2.8.16

Michel Kohanim

Lee,

This is a loaded post. If you want me to call you I will. See if you can address all the issues.

Think your correct. One of my lights that has the least links I did a restore device and it worked perfectly after that. The others are still a problem.

Am I correct that what happened is the links in the PLM got lost? The data in the ISY is still ok, therefore my latest backup is still ok? I want to make sure I dont have to go back to older backup.

In addition, I have a Smartlinc. I wish you supported it also but you dont and I understand why, but I use it for the nice web interface. I have it linked to an ipad that is wall mounted and it has an easy interface for guests. It looks like this process does not touch the smartlinc, correct? Since you cant backup the smartllinc I dont want to choose to restore until I am sure it wont break the smartlinc lincs. The smartlinc is listed in my ISY but I just cant use the ISY to configure it. I am worried a total modem restore might wipe the smartlinc. If so I can do it device by device unless you have a better way.

Now that we know the problem is the PLM. This is the second time it got wiped due to power isssues here. Is there no way to put this on some sort of battery backup that wont kill its functions?

Jeff

Jeff

Should be no reason to go to a backup. PLMs should not be losing links when power drops. If the PLM consistently loses link records during a power failure I would suspect a defective PLM. I initially assumed the PLM had been reset during an image update process. There is no reason to reset the ISY or the PLM when upgrading to a later image.

I would try a few more Restore Device requests.

I'm afraid you have a problem waiting to happen with the Smartlinc. Not that the device itself is a problem but doing Set button links to establish the SmartLinc Scenes with the ISY managing device links it seems that things will get out of sync eventually. The Set button process will not overlay link records written by the ISY but the ISY is not aware of links created by the Set button process.

Lee

Has anyone else tried to add a triggerlinc since upgrading to 2.8.16? I recently acquired 2 #2141 Rev 1.2 triggerlics and I can't get ether of them to link to the ISY. The error I get is:

Failed writing the highwater mark

[-200000/-1]

Node not added- failed removing links

(14 40 4A 1)

[-200000/-9]

I've tried "removing links", not removing links, selecting Auto Discover, selecting TriggerLinc. I've tried linking with the TL 3 feet from the AP. I moved the AP and plugged it into the PLM. Nothing seems to be working. Any other thoughts?

Yes. I just deleted and added a TriggerLinc under 2.8.16.

Be sure Link Management | Advanced Options | Automatic is selected. The Device Type should be specified as [10.02] TriggerLinc. Be sure the TriggerLinc is in linking mode using Set button before using New INSTEON Device.

If this does not work invoke Tools | Diagnostics | Event Viewer with Device Communications Events selected and post the trace produced during the add.

Hi Jeff,

Please note that whatever you do with SmartLinc is going to WIPE OUT whatever ISY has done. Unless you have a defective PLM, this explains all the symptoms (including the fact that restore fixed it).

To use SmartLinc just for a nice UI sounds like a LOT of money for so little. There are a variety of third party and specifically iPad applications in the third party section. I strongly recommend decommissioning your SmartLinc for good.

With kind regards,

Michel

I upgraded from .15 yesterday and it seems I have a problem similar to one I had several revisions back.

It seems that after the ISY is running for some period of time, I lose IP connectivity to the ISY. It works after a power off/on but then notice it will stop responding to any requests.

What information is needed to help isolate this instead of just powering it off and back on?

Thanks.

I am still having issues with IP connectivity. Is anyone else having these problems? I noticed that I still have ISY programs that are working, I just can't browse to the ISY, ping it and my Elk integration is totally broken. Only comes back after a reboot of the ISY.

I have verified the network side of things.

Couple of issues with iMeter Solo.

When adding the iMeter solo to ISY, the device type was not auto detected. I had to manually select the correct type (My iMeterSolo address starts with 18.x.x)

Not sure if this is a issue or not, but I have a solar panel pluged into the iMeter, and when generating power rather than having a power draw the ISY reports 65436 rather than -100 watts. I can correct for this using java in a web page by taking 65436-65536 = -100. Also the accumulated power number goes past 0, and shows a large number rather than a negative number

Hello champjo,

I do not think iMeter can handle negative numbers. I have sent an email to SmartHome for clarification.

With kind regards,

Michel

Couple of issues with iMeter Solo.

When adding the iMeter solo to ISY, the device type was not auto detected. I had to manually select the correct type (My iMeterSolo address starts with 18.x.x)

Not sure if this is a issue or not, but I have a solar panel pluged into the iMeter, and when generating power rather than having a power draw the ISY reports 65436 rather than -100 watts. I can correct for this using java in a web page by taking 65436-65536 = -100. Also the accumulated power number goes past 0, and shows a large number rather than a negative number

Hi Elvis,

Do you have any Network Resources and or programs? What would happen if you turned on a device physically? Would the status on Admin Console get updated? Also, have you taken a look at your Error Logs ... if so, can you post anything that you find out of the ordinary?

With kind regards,

Michel

Michel, Sorry about my delayed response, but I have been on business travel. To answer your questions:

1. Yes i have both the network and weather modules installed. I have some simple http and tcp network resources set up to allow me to create programs to control my Global Cache IP2IR and my IP2IR blaster (thinkflood redeye) which supports http messages to issue IR blaster signals. The programs are configured to send network resource messages upon time of day events. I don't have any web other other network resources configured.

2. I did not try to to monitor what would happen if I manually turned a device on since I was pressed for time before traveling.

3. Unfortunately, once I tried to change a light from within the admin console the ISY would lock up and I would have to force a reboot by removing power. I assumed the errors logs are stored in RAM and would be lost upon power cycle.

As i said before ALL my other IP devices ALL work correctly on the LAN side of the client bridged router. This includes a W7 PC, slingbox, NAS storage drive, apple TV2, and Denon AV receiver. All are configured with static IP addresses with my primary router acting as the DHCP and DNS server, with DNSMask enabled.

If you can provide me a list of other things to capture, I can try.

I just finished setting up and programming my new ISY. A couple of issues:

1. Why don't IRLinc buttons show up in the device list?

2. The Venstar t1800 interface seems a little whacky. If you change the mode to heat and change the setpoint, then change it back to Program Auto the auto setpoints aren't restored. It either keeps the same heat setpoint that you set in Heat mode or sets it to 16 degrees. If I go to the thermostat and press mode to go around the modes to get to Program Auto the setpoints are set correctly. I assume it would do the same thing for the cool setpoint too.

Also, sometimes the heat/cool state just shows that. It doesn't show OFF, HEAT or COOL. Other times it shows Off, or Heat if heating

3. When programming actions for IRLinc or RemoteLinc do I really have to have a seperate program for ON and OFF? Is there a better way to do it?

I do love this thing.

In 2.8.16 there is another bug (reported one with night mode already which was fixed in earlier beta) with the 2420m.

In the manual it says

On only mode: when checked only On commands are sent. When unchecked an

Off command is sent when the Timeout value expires.

In the Options it says

On Only Mode:

On/Off commands (Checked)

On Commands Only (unchecked)

Which one is it since they are opposite??

Jeff

Jeff

That is correct. Some history around the wording. At 2.8.3 additional V2 Motion Sensor option support was added to that popup. At that level the text was as it is now. In hind sight the On Only option when checked would be more logical to have On Only commands but that is not what the popup text said at 2.8.3 and the code worked as the text described.

At 2.8.11/12 (don't remember the exact image) the text was reversed for the On Only option BUT the code was not changed. The effect was the Motion Sensor was set opposite to what the text said. The solution was to put the text back the way it was or change the way the code worked. At 2.8.15 the text was restored to the way it was at 2.8.3 which is the way the code has worked all along.

It looks like the User Guide was changed back when the text was changed around 2.8.11/12. When the text was restored at 2.8.15 so the text and the code are in sync the User Manual was not updated.

I just checked the operation of the motion sensor On Only option at 2.8.16. The current popup text matches the way the code works. When the On Only option is checked the motion sensor issues ON and OFF commands.

Not sure if this explanation helps or just adds to the confusion.

Lee

Attempting upgrade to .16.

Using the admin console from the site, as per first post.

Using https.

All browsers closed.

Used firefox to download (twice).

Rebooted.

Cleared cache in Java.

Windows 7 w/o SP 1.

Complete message is:

Upgrade Failed :Failed uploading file (reported written size is invalid)

"Underneath" above is "Socket Timeout Error"

Hello james0avery,

Sincere apologies for the inconvenience.

Do you have any firewall software? If so, please do ensure that your ISY is listed in the trusted zone/White list.

If you are still having problems, please do contact our support (link below), and we'll try to upgrade remotely.

With kind regards,

Michel

Played around with custom notifications just a bit for the first time the other day. It appears that if there is no value for a variable in a custom notification the notification is not sent at all.

IE. I put a control variable in the body of the notification, I build a program without any if values. The then is to send the custom notification. I manually run the then portion of the program. No notification is sent.

Is this normal? Have I understood the failure to send reason correctly?

I am not able to upgrade from 2.7.15.

When I do, I get stuck with the the lights blinking.

1) RX and TX lights come on

2) Memory light comes on

3) Memory light goes off

4) RX and TX lights go off.

5) wait .5 seconds, then repeat.

I can factory reset and restore 2.7.15 and restore my programs and data.

When I do a manual or automatic upgrade of the firmware it gets stuck.

I loaded the new release after a factory reset, that worked.

Then when I restore my programs and data, I get the same lights and it gets stuck again.

While the lights are blinking, I can not get any access over the ethernet to it.

If I unplug the power and then plug it back in, I get the same lights flashing.

Any ideas?

I also tried to load the 3.1 beta and have the same issue.

Thanks

Walt