Release 3.1.0 (Beta) Is Now Available

Hello all,

I am happy to announce the availability of our 3.1.0 release which includes program variable functionality!

Things to test:

Variables!

For a discussion of variables, please look at the new Program Variables forum

viewforum.php?f=68

For a list of changes, please take a look at this post:

viewtopic.php?t=6015

Notes:

1. ISY-26 is no longer included in the firmware builds

2. Due to the sensitive nature of supporting MorningLinc, users now must agree to terms and conditions upon Admin Console start up otherwise the dialog keeps popping up every time the Admin Console is started

Instructions:

1. Please backup your ISY (File | Backup ISY)

2. Please download the firmware for your platform - please do not unzip

ISY 99i Series: http://www.universal-devices.com/update ... _3.1.0.zip

3. Important

Due to invalid Java certificate chain in releases 2.8.5 and above, please make sure to remove all Universal Devices certificates from Java:

a. Close all browser sessions

b. Open Java Control Panel (Java Preferences on MAC)

c. Click on the Security tab. Remove all Universal Devices certificates (on MAC, click on the '-' button at the bottom)

e. Clear your Java Cache ( http://www.universal-devices.com/mwiki/ ... Java_Cache

)

4. Login to the Admin Console and choose Help | Manually Upgrade [the name of your system]

5. Choose the file saved in step 2

MAC users: if upgrade fails, please add https://your.isy.ip.address to ISY Finder (see 3f above)

6. After the upgrade, ISY reboots. Please do ensure to clear your Java Cache:

http://www.universal-devices.com/mwiki/ ... Java_Cache

7. IMPORTANT Once upgrade is completed and ISY reboots, use any of the following methods to access your ISY's Admin Console:

a. http://isy/admin - applet (Windows only)

b. http://isy/admin.jnlp - Java application (Windows only)

c. http://your.isy.ip.address/admin - applet

d. http://your.isy.ip.address/admin.jnlp - Java application

e. http://www.universal-devices.com/99i/3.1.0 - applet

f. http://www.universal-devices.com/99i/3.1.0/admin.jnlp - Java application

8. IMPORTANT If you have already installed a self signed certificate and your current firmware is 2.7.10 and below, you must reinstall a new one:

http://www.universal-devices.com/mwiki/ ... rtificates

Thanks and with kind regards,

Michel

Retrieving the full list of variables via REST only lists the variable after it has been "initialized", meaning currently has a value.

A variable should run with value 0 when created.

Couple things that would be great in REST:

- Return the variable's name as well (not just ID) so I can identify what each variable is in my external programs.

- If just rest/vars/get returned a list of all of them (int and state).

Also, init values are not saving on reboot. Back to blank.

And, if I set init (rest or console), a zero won't show up (just blank) until I set it to a value, then back to 0.

Hi Michel,

Nice addition, looking forward to implementing them into my programs.

Do you have a basic document how variables function within ISY. and what to expect etc. I know how variables work in a program like visual basic but ISY has a few differences so it would be good to have a document that describes how they are implemented in ISY.

ie. scope and lifetime etc

Many thanks.

Some of these variable related questions might be more appropriate in the Developers forum but since we're talking about them :)

Will changes to variables eventually send messages? Right now I'm not seeing any messages from the ISY when variables are created, removed, or when the value changes.

Also, will variables be accessible though the WSDL interface or just REST?

Bob, you'll see VAR messages in the Event Viewer and subscription when the values for State variables change. They come across as event type Trigger, action type 6, which appears to be a new action type for "Variable Status." There's also action 7, which is "Variable Initialized." I presume that is only reported for State variables.

The WSDL has been updated as well. Check /web/udiws30.ws for references to variables. There are new web methods to get and set variables in there!

Will changes to variables eventually send messages? Right now I'm not seeing any messages from the ISY when variables are created, removed, or when the value changes.

You will not receive messages for variables being created/removed/renamed, but you will see messages for:

- Changes to the value

- Changes to the init value used to initialize the variable at startup

These messages are being sent if the variable is modified in programs or REST, but not if you edit the variable on the Variables tab in the admin console. This will be fixed in the next drop.

Thanks Brad and Chris,

I'll spend some more time playing with it. My initial check was not showing any variable related messages. However, most of the changes were being made from the admin console screen. I did set up a program to increment a variable and I did see the program messages but no variable change message (could be I'm filtering those out though).

Also, I was looking for updates in the udiws20.ws and didn't realize there was a new udiws30.ws Doh!

Well I'm still not seeing any variable events. I have a variable set up to increment as part of repeat program so it increments every 2 minutes. I see the program events, but nothing for the variable. I also set a variable via the REST interface and see no events generated. The screen shot clearly shows that the variable changed at 6:41:27 but the event viewer shows nothing variable related anywhere around that time.

variables.jpg

My own program that subscribes to the ISY is showing the same thing as the admin console event viewer. Everything else variable related seems to work fine so what am I missing?

I got a proxy error tonight that locked up the Administrative Console (V3.1). I had to use the Win 7 task manager to kill the console as nothing on the console would respond. I started the program up again and it is now working.

I also occasionally get a few lines (on the event viewer) saying that there has been a variable error, but I am not yet using variables. My system seems to be prone to network errors with beta updates but these errors usually disappear with later updates.

Jerry

I added an integer variable with initial value of 0 and added it to a program. The count incremented up to 6 during my testing as I expected and I was happy. I then deleted that variable, hit Save and it was gone.

This morning I wanted to do some more testing and so I added a new integer variable and hit save. The present value of that integer was 6. I was surprised as that was the present value of the integer variable that I had deleted last night. I did further testing and confirmed that the present value of a variable is not cleared when the variable is deleted (even after hitting save). If a variable is deleted and then a new one is added (in the same ID spot) then the present value is not cleared upon deletion.

Is this intended?

(Not sure if this should be in this post or under variable support forum).

Dan,

I have done some work with the new variables and I found that you can set a new initial value via a program.

I actually have a motion sensor program that sends me an email after a certain count of motion senses.

I intend to set up some kind of cross-zone motion detection for late night security.

Code

If

- No Conditions - (To add one, press 'Schedule' or 'Condition')

Then

$State_1 Init To 1

Else

- No Actions - (To add one, press 'Action')

End Code

Your "IF" statement can contain whatever parameters that you nee to trigger the program.

this works for the 2 types of variables.

Clarence

Michel, I am having problems again with firmware upgrade. I followed all of your instructions from previous posts with no luck. I tried this on three different computers all running Windows XP using FireFox. ISY currently at 2.8.16. Two errors coming up at different percents of load such as 3% up to17%. Error 1 = Sockect open Failed java.io.IOException:An established connection was aborted by the software in your host machine. Error 2 = Upgrade Failed: Failed uploading file (reported written size invalid). I did a power off of the ISY and PLM still nothing. My ISY has been working great otherwise. Sorry I have to keep bothering you but it seems that the upgrades just don't work all the time for me. I was able to do a few in the past with no problems. What I am i missing or doing wrong?

Thanks

Dennis

Hi Jerry,

Trying to reproduce.

Hi Dennis,

No problem. We have to fix this once and for all!!! Would you mind contacting our support with a couple of time intervals during which we can contact you and log in to your computer remotely?

Our hours are from 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM PST.

With kind regards,

Michel

Michel,

I am also getting the Java exceptions errors. Sometimes I leave the JAVA app running on mac and come back to see the error. Most of the time I have to reboot the ISY because logging out and logging back in after the error I get not found.

I would say 1-2 times a day but only a couple times a week do I need a reboot.

Jeff

Here are my findings last night

1. The programs ran at regular time.

2. I left the isy logged in but it was frozen. Quit the java app. Logged out and logged back in and time was correct but when I look at program summary they did run 1 hour too early.

3. Can you add a way to put daylight savings into your programs. Like send an email when clocks change or something like that?

Jeff

It may be related to other bug they said was just fixed but anyone else have a lot of device communication errors. I got like 10 in a row. I can fix two ways. One is to click on device with error and turn on and off. This takes a while with a lot of errors.

The other is quit java app and open it again then it's fine.

Jeff.