Not able to recognize any links -- setting up ISY 99i

blartyo

Hi, I recently received my 99i and am having trouble getting any Insteon links recognized within "My Lighting".

I went into My Lighting and clicked the following:

Link Management -- Start Linking -- Add devices found in links and keep existing links

A dialog box appears stating it will take between 10 seconds to 2 minutes to link. I click OK.

Unfortunately, nothing happens beyond that point.

I let this run all night last night, but in the morning nothing changed so I clicked cancel.

The only ISY 99i LED that is lit (other than when plugging unit in) is PWR.

Background:

• Approx. 10 KeypadLincs and approx. 20 Swithclinc Relays/Dimmers
    2 Access Points
    Approx. 20 scenes already programmed
    PLM rev 2.6
    Router AT&T 2Wire
    DHCP enabled
    IP address type: NAT
    "Hide icons for networked UPnP devices" now showing in left nav bar of My Network Places
    My Lighting showing in My Network Places
    Firewall: Trend Micro Internet Security 2008
    Java version 1.6.0_03-b05
    Cat 5 cable plugged into active ethernet jack in wall (house is wired with cat 5), and then plugged into ISY 99i unit. 2nd ethernet cable connects ISY to PLM plugged directly into outlet.
    I'm using the supplied ethernet cable to connect ISY to PLM.
    I'm using my own ethernet cable to connect ISY to network.
    Default browser: Firefox
    Running "My Lighting" from laptop connected to router via wireless.

I tried running in both Internet Explorer and Firefox.

I tried running the "Start Linking" routine with the Trend Micro firewall turned off. I ran for about 10 minutes and had no different results.

I tried using both ethernet cables that came with the ISY unit to connect to the PLM.

Do I need to connect the ISY unit directly to the router? I would think it is okay plugged into the ethernet jack in the wall which connects up to the router.

Any help you can provide would be appreciated.

Thanks.

blartyo,

I am so very sorry to hear about the troubles you've been having with 99i.

Quick question: did you try linking your first device when you saw the dialog? In short, I think we are missing a step in between:

1. Link Management->Start Linking

2. Click on the 3rd option on the ensuing dialog (Linking In Progress)

3. Accept the warning (it's going to take a while)

4. Choose an INSTEON device with the most number of links to other devices and click and hold its set button till it shows up in ISY's Admin Console

5. As soon as your first device shows up in ISY's Admin Console, click on the Cancel button on the Linking In Progress Dialog box

6. Have a coffee and come back!

Also, if you have the address for one of your devices (with the most number of links to other devices) you may choose Link Management->New Insteon Device and enter the address directly

With kind regards,

Michel

Hi, I recently received my 99i and am having trouble getting any Insteon links recognized within "My Lighting".

I went into My Lighting and clicked the following:

Link Management -- Start Linking -- Add devices found in links and keep existing links

A dialog box appears stating it will take between 10 seconds to 2 minutes to link. I click OK.

Unfortunately, nothing happens beyond that point.

I let this run all night last night, but in the morning nothing changed so I clicked cancel.

The only ISY 99i LED that is lit (other than when plugging unit in) is PWR.

Background:

Approx. 10 KeypadLincs and approx. 20 Swithclinc Relays/Dimmers
    2 Access Points
    Approx. 20 scenes already programmed
    PLM rev 2.6
    Router AT&T 2Wire
    DHCP enabled
    IP address type: NAT
    "Hide icons for networked UPnP devices" now showing in left nav bar of My Network Places
    My Lighting showing in My Network Places
    Firewall: Trend Micro Internet Security 2008
    Java version 1.6.0_03-b05
    Cat 5 cable plugged into active ethernet jack in wall (house is wired with cat 5), and then plugged into ISY 99i unit. 2nd ethernet cable connects ISY to PLM plugged directly into outlet.
    I'm using the supplied ethernet cable to connect ISY to PLM.
    I'm using my own ethernet cable to connect ISY to network.
    Default browser: Firefox
    Running "My Lighting" from laptop connected to router via wireless.

I tried running in both Internet Explorer and Firefox.

I tried running the "Start Linking" routine with the Trend Micro firewall turned off. I ran for about 10 minutes and had no different results.

I tried using both ethernet cables that came with the ISY unit to connect to the PLM.

Do I need to connect the ISY unit directly to the router? I would think it is okay plugged into the ethernet jack in the wall which connects up to the router.

Any help you can provide would be appreciated.

Thanks.

• 1 year later...

This scenario seems to describe my situation quite well.

But I never get a first device (any device) to show up under "My Lighting". I have 2 AccessPoints installed and a 6-button 2486D Keypad Dimmer which connects to 7 SwitchLink Relays and 2 SwitchLink Dimmers. The Keypad works fine to communicate with the various switches via button press.

The ISY, however, cannot inventory anything. I can, however, run the "All on" and "All Off" buttons and cause the Keypad to make on/off changes.

Here is how I am trying to get things linked:

1. Link Mgt > Start Linking > 3rd option (retain links)

2. PLM starts blinking the LED quickly

3. I press the "set" button at the bottom of the keypad for 3 seconds, and the entire keypad and connected light blink. I release the set button.

4. Go back to computer, look at screen on the "Main" tab - nothing is different.

5. Wait 5 minutes - no change

6. Press "Finish" and continue to search the wiki for help.

I'm getting pretty frustrated! Can anyone help?

Firmware 2.6.15

PLM v72

~ Paul

OK - problem solved.

Wiki saved me.

I found the note about stacking the AccessPoint on the PLM. I went and piggy-backed the AccessPoint on top of the PLM and bingo, the entire switch popped into the ISY.

It's running the inventory right now....

Thanks guys.

~ Paul

Archived