Lost Links between Motion Sensors and Responders

thruster999

Hi Michel

I think there was some confusion after my last post.

I haven't had issues with KPLs. The thread was about lost links with Dimmers and Relay switches within a scene that also contains a motion sensor.

Also, whenever I've experienced the issue, the switch still turns off and on based on activation or de-activation of the motion sensor, it's just that the light level and ramp rates are lost and can't be reset. I experience the lost link error messages described in the thread.

So just to confirm this thread has nothing to do with KPLs.

Anyway, I've again experienced this issue again today. I ran "Restore Device" which appeared to run all the way through, properly. However this did not fix the issue.

Then, based on an earlier post, I ran a Restore of one of my backups. This fixed the issue.

So based on this and the fact that the Motion Sensors still turn the lights on and off - wouldn't this suggest the issue is with the ISY and not the switches? As soon as I restore a known good backup the links are restored and again programs setting the ramp rate and brightness levels are succesful. I can also set them manually.

Thanks

Hello thruster999,

On level/ramp rates/scene activations are all stored in devices themselves and ISY is bypassed for those types of scenarios. So, no, ISY is not the problem here.

The problem is that the responder or the controller in that scene are losing their links and therefore do not communicate with one another properly.

If the problem is isolated only to scenes with motion sensors, I strongly advise against restoring EVERYTHING for two reasons:

1. Now, we do not know which one of your devices were causing the problem

2. Restoring things that do not need to be restored is a waste of our valuable time

So, if this happens again:

1. Restore the responder (KPL or SWL or whatever device responds to your motion sensor or the scene in ISY). If this works, then the problem is the responder

2. Restore the controller (i.e. the motion sensor). If this works, then the problem is the motion sensor

3. If the problem is that on level/ramp rates for a specific scene when activated from ISY are lost, then restore the PLM. if this fixes the problem then the issue is a defective PLM

With kind regards,

Michel

Hi Michel

I haven't been restoring the all my devices. Only those effected. The problem is though this issue occurs weekly, and a different motion scene is involved every week. So basically, I have to restore at least one different motion scene every week - which is frustrating.

I took LeeGs advice. Since just restoring either the Controller or the Responder or Both does not work I Delete the Controller and Responder altogether, and then re-add the device to the ISY and then setup the scene again (big pain!). However, now restoring an old back appears to fix the issue.

More importantly, I provided ISY links table data in my previous posts and it appears that the table data gets messed up somehow. After I do a restore the links table data is back to the way it should be and the scene works again.

That's why I think this is an ISY issue. Maybe I'm describing it incorrectly when using the word "link" but it it looks like something is happening where the ISY cannot communicate properly with the devices in the scene anymore and instead of changing ramp speed and brightness levels it errors out - at least until a backup is restored or I go thru the process I described above.

Another reason I think it's the ISY is because it only occurs in notion scenes where I adjust the brightness levels. 2/3 of my setup are lights and scenes that do not involve adjusting the brightness level and I don't experience any issues with any of those scenes or devices (which includes thermostats, dimmers, dual band dimmers, relays, remote sensors, appliance lincs, lamplincs, remote lincs etc)

Thanks

Hi Michel and Lee

The firmware I'm using is 3.1.12 and the backups I've restored were also using 3.1.12.

To answer your questions Michel

1) The On and Off status is reported correctly after the issue occurs.

2) I have experienced the green icon (and did the restore or write updates to device) but most of the time this has occurred there is no green icon. Everything appears normal until I click on the Motion Sensor within the scene (as the controller), the responder always shows 0% brightness level and a 9m ramp rate. This always happens when the issue occurs.

Thanks again

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys

I've decided to move on. Physically rebuilding these scenes each week doesn't work for our purposes.

However I did want to write and say that I think I've received excellent excellent support from you guys and the forum, especially from Lee (and I hope I've been able to contribute as well). You guys have always been very responsive and very helpful.

Thank you very much

Archived