full program and device - listing

oskrypuch

It would be really nice to have this, with one command, I'd want to generate a text file that lists the device tree (MAIN|Network) AND lists all the program statements (Programs|Details), and I guess we could throw in Programs|Summary and Programs|Variables as well.

No XML stuff, just readable text.

You could then view the file, create a pdf, or even print it for manual annotations with a pencil! Do whatever you need to.

This would be a great tool for providing a broad overview. The current interface provides a great view of the trees, I want to see the forest.

I am currently needing to remove/replace one device. If I had the above facility, it would be very easy to go through and mark all the spots where I need to add the keylinc buttons back in. As it is, it is very awkward, you need to make notes from a variety of screens, or instead replace the device with a new one so that you have the spots "bookmarked".

* Orest

Lee,

I will be doing the find/replace thing in the programs, although will add the device manually just to be sure that the bad links don't get transferred over.

HOWEVER, if you were to fully delete the device, there is little trace left in the program listing, and no trace in the device/scene tree, then you have to rely on manual notes or memory. A full listing in that instance would be very helpful.

But in general, I would find a full external listing (the "forest" view) very helpful for a lot of things.

* Orest

The new KeypadLinc is added normally. Once the new definition exists, right click on the old KeypadLinc primary node and select Replace xxxxx with ... which should change Program and Scene references from the old KeypadLinc name to the new KeypadLinc name as well as make all the link record changes.

Again, this is what I think happens based on reading other posts rather than something I have done myself.

Be sure to take a current backup before starting the Replace.

EDIT: not disagreeing with the documentation suggestion. I would love to see files saved in a meaningful format. Creating a file with Insteon addresses represented as a decimal value is easy on the programmer writing the code but nearly useless for the end user.

Believe the program listing changes and the device trees work separately, and both are required, but I have never done it so don't know for sure.

I am adding the device scene links in manually, to ensure I don't pollute the new device with possible link corruption from the old device. Of course that takes an eternity.

Then I'll run find/replace dialog in the program listing.

Then I'll remove the old device scene links.

Then I'll remove the old device.

* Orest

Well, now I've really buggered things up.

Was in the process of removing/adding scene links for the new device, with the Do Not write changes toggle OFF, to allow for delayed updates.

Decided to let it do at least a partial update, so went to unclick that toggle. it won't unclick either from the button bar or the file menu.

Tried right click query for devices with the 1010's, nothing.

Got a bunch of devices with pending writes.

So I suppose I've corrupted my whole setup now??

What now? Any thoughts?

* Orest

I just kept plodding on.

The advice in the admin console was not making a lot of sense, it appears that the console had hung. I closed it if it appeared hung, and continued.

Got the switch replaced in the devices and program. It seems to be working.

There was two sets of 1010's left. I did a restore device on those two devices, the 1010's disappeared.

Of course I have no idea, what if anything else might be messed up. A bit frustrating. I think the issue is with java console getting incomplete or delayed information from the ISY, because it is just too busy. If that is the case, then all should be OK. Fingers crossed.

* Orest

Hello Orest,

Every time you see 0101 icons, it means that those devices having pending write operations that need to be completed before ISY considers them in synch. As such, every time you do anything that might impact those devices (such as changing the scene attributes, etc.), ISY will try to automatically write the updates and thus the reason for Admin Console being too busy.

Yes, Admin Console should do a better job of notifying you what's going on but, at the moment, the most important clue is if you have 0101 icons.

With kind regards,

Michel

Hi Orest,

Sorry for missing the first part. You already have that ability for Devices/Scenes by going to Tools | Topology. As far as a print out for programs, we have never had that as a requirement. When you replace a device, ISY should automatically update the programs associated with that device (if and only if you use the Replace function).

With kind regards,

Michel

Michel,

In the current instance, I did not want to replace the device, in case the potential corrupted device table got transferred along as well, so the listing would have been useful - but to me, that would only be one small instance of its value.

Tools|Topology - completely missed that, that is EXACTLY what I was looking for the DEVICE listing.

A full PROGRAM/VARIABLE listing (whether displayed, softcopy, or printed) is a kind of overview. It is sometimes difficult to get the flow of things, if your view is choppy, as it is in in the admin console.

Can you put that on the list? Something like the Tools|Topology function, except from programs/variables?

* Orest

• 4 months later...

I'd like to second the original request (as I understand it) that the report that is generated from "Tools | Generate Topology" be enhanced to include:

• [*:1lrt3tb7]The definition of each scene
    • [*:1lrt3tb7]Devices in the scene (this is there now)[*:1lrt3tb7]Mark each as controller or responder[*:1lrt3tb7]Dim/bright level of each device relative to each controller[*:1lrt3tb7]Ramp rate for each device relative to each controller

[*:1lrt3tb7]Code dump (listing) of each program.

Note that the dim/bright level of the devices in a scene as well as the ramp rate can vary by which controller device is turning the scene on. It would be great to have all this detail in the report as well.

As one of the previous posters noted, the idea is not to get this when you're swapping devices. Rather you want to be able to print out and study the entire system at any time, especially when thinking about the future.

Thanks for considering this request.

Jim G.

+1

I will "3rd" this request.

When I was supporting systems, I can't tell you how many times I would take over something new and have zero documentation about what the previous users/programmers were trying to accomplish. Being able to see things in "written" form makes that process much, much easier. Our group documented everything. Overkill? Sure. Up until that moment you need it.

An example closer to home. Just the other day I posted in the 3.1.6 forum how my backup/restore under 3.1.6 actually corrupted my ISY data. Luckily, the 3.1.5. backup I had from prior to the 3.1.6 upgrade worked. BUT...I lost all of the programming I had done for the prior 3 days. Had I been able to hit one button and create a "text" format of the programs I had created I could have easily gone back and reentered my changes. Instead I had to pull everything from memory which took a whole lot longer. You can bet that after I made the changes again, I went to the variable lists and programs and made "copy to clipboard" copy of every single one.

And my last example, as it ties to the last point. It is nice to have "text" formatted documentation of what you had done in prior revisions. I find that many times I need to think back to how things had been done previously as it often can help you understand why you developed something in the way you did, which in turn makes it a lot easier to improve the code over time w/o having to rehash your old thought process.

Thanks.

Hello H2R,

I do very much like this idea and it's currently on our list. Unfortunately it does not have a high priority ...

What troubles me the most is what you mentioned about 3.1.6 corrupting your data. Would you be kind enough to send me a link to the post for this issue? This should not happen no matter what so this must be a bug that has to be fixed.

With kind regards,

Michel

Archived