Restarting Locked Up ISY Remotely

matapan

Is there a way to restart ISY if it locks up for some reason remotely?

I ran into a situation where the ISY I use locked up after I was trying some REST requests to the ISY. After that, I could not access the ISY remotely, nor could I login to the admin console when I was at home. Physically pulling the power from the unit and reapplying it finally addressed the issue. It would be handy to restart ISY remotely when these situations occur.

That would be great to have, but I don't think they can do that because when it locks up then no commands are being accepted I would think. You might want to print your error log and see if you can pin point why it locked up and get it fixed in a future build.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi matapan,

polexian is correct. Please note that the last few firmware updates revolved solely on eliminating system lockup regardless of the case. We have had discussions of using watchdog timers but we are striving for zero lockup. So, in case you were on 3.1.8 and you managed to lockup the system, please do be kind enough to let us know the steps to reproduce it so that we can fix it.

Thanks and with kind regards,

Michel

When using devices on your isy network you would need to remember the actions you did just prior to the lockup. For example if you turned on a switch and that ran a program then the isy locked up. This would be what you would report back her. He would need to know the build of the programs that ran also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know this isn't exactly the answer you were looking for, but there are fairly inexpensive ways to reboot the ISY if it is locked up (remotely).

1) If you have an Elk, put a relay board on it and run the power to the ISY through one of the relays.

2) Buy a cai webcontrol and a relay board. You need relays that activate from ttl outputs which can be found on ebay by searching "pic relay". For about $60 total you can have 8 IP controlled relays which you can use to cycle power to up to 8 devices. If you don't need 8 relays, you can save about $15 and just get a single relay. ISY can also directly control the CAI unit using the network module which might be useful. Also, you can sync all of the cai's functions with ISY using io_guy's little application. This is actually the cheapest way to get multiple temperatures into ISY.

Still doesn't help you, however, if your modem or router lockup. Although you probably can control the Elk from the phone. I've never looked into it.

Archived