Extended Memory PLM

MikeB

I think it's odd that the part number hasn't changed and the price remains the same. I'm not quite sure enough to click the Checkout button...

Rand

If you are having lockups with yours I would RMA it and not buy a new one. I fired mine up last night and so far about 14 hours and no lockups. Time will tell.

GREAT NEWS DIGGY! I hope it keeps going for you.

I am not having any problems, yet. I am still populating the link database though. ~370 links so far. Every time I think I'm done I come here and get a new idea :D

Rand

24 hours and no lockups! :P

But the communications dont seem any better.

24 hours and no lockups! :P

GREAT NEWS DIGGY!

:D:lol:8)

Second that emotion!

I'm not quite sure enough to click the Checkout button...

I did! But, then I found out the discount coupon had expired. Guess I'll wait till the next discount comes out. :roll:

Over a week and no lockups at all. I ran tons of querys etc. I think this issue is now resolved with the latest PLM with the extended memory and latest firmware release (just my opinion and not a fact). Others have been using the new version a lot longer and may have a different opinion.

If you are having lockups I would try and RMA the PLM and see if it works for you as well (probably will but cant swear to it).

Good Luck!

• 4 months later...
Over a week and no lockups at all. I ran tons of querys etc. I think this issue is now resolved with the latest PLM with the extended memory and latest firmware release (just my opinion and not a fact). Others have been using the new version a lot longer and may have a different opinion.

If you are having lockups I would try and RMA the PLM and see if it works for you as well (probably will but cant swear to it).

Good Luck!

Hello Digger, Mikes, Mark, Michel, Darryl, & everyone:

I've been gone for a while again (buried deep in the bowels of researching upgrades for my home theater equipment). So I've been AWOL, reading forums elsewhere related to HT, speakers, amplififiers, etc.

I guess that it's time to think about upgrading my ISY from 2.6.0 to 2.6.4.

I'll just be doing reading for a while to catch up with UDI and SmartHome. But I saw this post and was wondering if you all could update me on the latest PLM:

- Digger...did it cure all of your lockups?

- Does it fix the "deafness" problem, and are the query failure problems gone?

Best wishes to all of you,

Frank

Hey Frank -

Long time no talk!

The extended memory PLM has been working for me, but I haven't had much in the way of comm issues in the past anyway.

The latest rev I've received is v2.8 (still in the box).

Good Luck!

Hello Digger, Mikes, Mark, Michel, Darryl, & everyone:

I've been gone for a while again (buried deep in the bowels of researching upgrades for my home theater equipment). So I've been AWOL, reading forums elsewhere related to HT, speakers, amplififiers, etc.

I guess that it's time to think about upgrading my ISY from 2.6.0 to 2.6.4.

I'll just be doing reading for a while to catch up with UDI and SmartHome. But I saw this post and was wondering if you all could update me on the latest PLM:

- Digger...did it cure all of your lockups?

- Does it fix the "deafness" problem, and are the query failure problems gone?

Best wishes to all of you,

Frank

Hi Frank,

The lockups are a thing of the past. The new PLM corrected that 100% for me at least.

The comm failure still occurred. I had a friend come over with a high end scope to help me look for the supposed "noise" and signal suckers (from TV's, computers etc) after I wasted hundreds on filters even though I had unplugged everything in the house and still had the problems but the SH fans insisted it was my house and not the SH products (not referencing anyone at UDI etc). We did not find any but we did notice that certian switches when communicated with would stream a bunch of garbage and at a low level signal and we witnessed the comm failures at that time. By removing those 4 switches all of my comm failures went away. They were causing comm failures for other devies as well probably by blocking the commands or acknowledgements etc. (I dont know for sure).

I was able to get rid of all of the filterlincs (useless in my opinion) and extra accesspoints (not necessary). I cant remember the last comm failure so its way over a month if not longer. I think it is expected to have a comm failure now and then but any more than once a month or so can be annoying.

While many people will tell you to "get rid of your noise" and "find your signal suckers" that is not always the case. Sometimes its one or more bad devices mucking up the system. There is just no easy way to troubleshoot this. Luckily I had a friend with a lot of experience troubleshooting unusual problems.

In my opinion if you unplug everything and still have problems then all of the filters in the world will not help. I would start the process of elimination with the devices next. Even that may not find the problems as not ever situation is the same.

Hello Digger:

Good to hear from you. Thanks for the detailed update on your experiences.

That jives with something that someone on these forums shared with me. He said that he had an experience with a bad Insteon switch that was causing comm problems. Removing the switch fixed the problems!

I think that both issues could be present, depending on your house, etc: there could be problems with signal sucks/noise generators. And there could be bad Insteon devices. On top of that, for whatever reason, the PLM seems to be much more sensitive to these things than the switches themselves.

I know that in my situation, the Filterlincs have helped significantly for some devices. But if I could run without any of them, that would be great.

Could you tell me what kinds of Insteon devices were causing you problems?

I haven't done a query for a very long time. But my system has been working without issues, so I haven't had the need to check my devices.

Best wishes,

Frank

Hey Frank -

Long time no talk!

The extended memory PLM has been working for me, but I haven't had much in the way of comm issues in the past anyway.

The latest rev I've received is v2.8 (still in the box).

Hello Mike:

Hope that everything has been well with you. Interestingly enough, I've been traveling up to Framingham these last few weeks.

Wow, I've been so busy! Lots of projects around the house, etc.

I guess I'll just lurk for a while, as I've kind of been out of the Insteon/UDI forums for a while. My ISY system is working well, and I haven't had the need to add anything or make any changes for a while (that's a good thing).

I do, however, need to RMA another RemoteLinc, so I'll want to upgrade to the lastest ISY release beforehand, so make certain that I've got the lastest improvements for when I do a device "replace".

Hope that everything has been well with you. Interestingly enough, I've been traveling up to Framingham these last few weeks.

Well, if you're up in my area again and have some time to kill, feel free to let me know - if I'm around, maybe we can grab something to eat.

My ISY system is working well, and I haven't had the need to add anything or make any changes for a while (that's a good thing).

Good to hear from you Frank!

I've said this before, home automation should be something you set up and forget.

The ISY makes this easy!

Rand

Hello Digger:

Good to hear from you. Thanks for the detailed update on your experiences.

That jives with something that someone on these forums shared with me. He said that he had an experience with a bad Insteon switch that was causing comm problems. Removing the switch fixed the problems!

I think that both issues could be present, depending on your house, etc: there could be problems with signal sucks/noise generators. And there could be bad Insteon devices. On top of that, for whatever reason, the PLM seems to be much more sensitive to these things than the switches themselves.

I know that in my situation, the Filterlincs have helped significantly for some devices. But if I could run without any of them, that would be great.

Could you tell me what kinds of Insteon devices were causing you problems?

I haven't done a query for a very long time. But my system has been working without issues, so I haven't had the need to check my devices.

Best wishes,

Frank

They were all switchlinc relays but that is probably because that is what I had the most of at the time. I have been putting in more keypadlincs as switchlincs failed. Keypadlincs are more versatile and now with the relay version I can do a few things that were not possible before. I had picked up a few NIB for $50 each online but now I have to buy a few at a time retail as money permits.

By my front door I will have 4 keypadlincs in one box when I am done converting. I plan on putting a label on the coverplate that says "Mission Control" as a joke. Its pretty handy already with the two keypadlincs there as I can see if we left on any lights as we leave the house that are controlled by those keypads.

Archived