ISY-99i IR Pro > SmartLinc?

heyfrank

I just ordered my ISY-99i IR Pro from the MobiLinc store with their awesome sale they are having. As the SmartLinc hasn't been really doing anything I want it to do (including working nice with an I/O Linc Garage Door Sensor). So I'm really hoping this ISY is what I'm looking for in a controller similar to Indigo, in which we use for clients, but I'm looking for a solution in which I do not have to leave a computer running all day, but still be able to do triggered events, use the sensors properly, etc.

What is everyones experience thus far with this device?

Did you previously have a SmartLinc at all? How do they compare?

What are some things I'll be able to use the ISY for?

How close is the ISY to an Indigo set up?

Does the web interface work well? Or do you suggest the MobiLinc Pro for $20?

Sorry if I sound a bit Noobish, I'm new to this board, and looking for some input on the ISY.

Thank you,

Frank

"What is everyones experience thus far with this device?"

Great device in use for nearly 3 years. Never regretted the move. Have HouseLinc and Powerhome (software for PC). ISY does everything I want to do with automation.

"Did you previously have a SmartLinc at all? How do they compare? "

No. SmartLinc is a basic entry level Controller only device. No events, no tracking of device status. really a very different category of device. They are not in completion as the SmartLinc is not designed to do what the ISY or any full time PC/Mac based automation software

"What are some things I'll be able to use the ISY for?"

Device linking (Scenes) and device configuration. All done from PC web interface.

Intelligent control of motion sensor controlled lights. Lower On Level with motion sensor, manual On/Off override, intelligent turn Off of lighting.

Lived in look with random lighting pattern.

With ISY Programs many things can be done that SmartLinc was not designed to do.

"How close is the ISY to an Indigo set up?"

Never used Indigo. No Mac.

"Does the web interface work well? Or do you suggest the MobiLinc Pro for $20?"

Admin Console on PC works well. MobiLinc provides portable wireless control of devices. It is not meant as an alternative to the Admin Console for the management of the installation (device linking and configuration, ISY Program development,etc).

"What is everyones experience thus far with this device?"

Great device in use for nearly 3 years. Never regretted the move. Have HouseLinc and Powerhome (software for PC). ISY does everything I want to do with automation.

"Did you previously have a SmartLinc at all? How do they compare? "

No. SmartLinc is a basic entry level Controller only device. No events, no tracking of device status. really a very different category of device. They are not in completion as the SmartLinc is not designed to do what the ISY or any full time PC/Mac based automation software

"What are some things I'll be able to use the ISY for?"

Device linking (Scenes) and device configuration. All done from PC web interface.

Intelligent control of motion sensor controlled lights. Lower On Level with motion sensor, manual On/Off override, intelligent turn Off of lighting.

Lived in look with random lighting pattern.

With ISY Programs many things can be done that SmartLinc was not designed to do.

"How close is the ISY to an Indigo set up?"

Never used Indigo. No Mac.

"Does the web interface work well? Or do you suggest the MobiLinc Pro for $20?"

Admin Console on PC works well. MobiLinc provides portable wireless control of devices. It is not meant as an alternative to the Admin Console for the management of the installation (device linking and configuration, ISY Program development,etc).

Thank you for your input!! I do not need to have a computer running with software all the time to acess it from my phone correct? The isy should act as its own Linux base server without a computer I hope. Also if you have any screenshots of the web interface from an iPhone I'd love to take a look. Thank you!

"I do not need to have a computer running with software all the time to access it from my phone correct?"

That is correct. The Admin Console is needed only when making changes/additions to ISY Programs and/or devices, etc. Otherwise the ISY is independent of any computer. Phone access is independent a computer.

Sorry I do not have a mobile device. One of those old timers living in the past.

I've been using MobiLinc for years on i-Phone and it works perfect on the cell network or wi-fi. The support for the product has been in line with Michel's Magic Kingdom here. Both are superior products you wont regret.

aLf

I currently use all three software solutions:

1. ISY as the primary interface for myself.

2. HL2 for added diagnostics and trouble shooting.

3. SmartLinc for a simple interface for the family.

I would like to add that using the SmartLinc interface is the perfect balance of access and control for 99% of the time for the general populace. Allowing the family (read small kids) access the ISY Admin Counsel would be disaster waiting to happen! :evil:

Also, in my case having the SmartLinc it provided me a extra level of redundancy for the family and I. While I marched on in various upgrades (ISY) and platform adjustments while still allowing control and access with the alternate SmartLinc solution for the rest of the family.

Teken . . .

Hi Teken,

I am not sure whether or not you are aware, but ISY has a simple and attractive interface much more superior to SmartLinc (which comes with releases 3.1.x and above). You do not need to always use the Admin Console.

My only concern with using SmartLinc in conjunction with ISY is that it takes over the links created by ISY and thus a lot of intermittent problems.

With kind regards,

Michel

Archived