Trouble making custom email body use multiple lines

simonw

Greetings,

I have made a bunch of "meter" programs as described by Rod last year, and want to email the results periodically in a custom email.

Everything works great if I have a one-line body, I can email something like "floodlight runtime ${var.1.36}" and all is well.

Problem comes when I try to make multi-line emails consisting of multiple such statements - I can't seem to get a line break to appear in the emails even though it looks find in the customization editor. Everything piles up into one unbroken text line.

I'm on a Mac, does that matter? I've tried , all the opt/alt/ctrl/cmd/shift flavors of , but no luck. I can't see a special character menu to pick from ... what am I doing wrong?

Thank you for your help in advance!

Shout-outs to LeeG and apostolakisl for a couple of good tips earlier today.

Cheers,

Simon

Hi Simon,

SMTP uses regular ASCII characters and thus just pressing the Enter key should work fine as it does work perfectly here.

If your email client is expecting Rich Text/HTML, then you will have to format the body of your email using HTML or the RTF (Rich Text Format) which your mail client understands. If HTML, you must use
to have a line break.

With kind regards,

Michel

Hi Michel,

Thanks for your input. I was afraid you were going to say that! I'm sorry to say it still looks like a real problem here, even using
and despite switching from my usual service to the default ISY SMTP server.

A message customization that looks like this:

Hello

World

!

comes through in the delivered email via the default SMTP server looking like

Hello
World!

All on one line.

If it's not a reproducible bug then it still seems to be something biting me, some corrupted component? What to try? Re-install the firmware?

Cheers,

Simon

Michel,

By the way, my scheduled heartbeat emails sent with unspecified default content arrive daily with multiple lines of text, so I'm sure there is no email reader client problem.

My only problem is with the entries in the customization tab.

Simon

For the record, I want to conclude this thread by saying that a very helpful tech support session with Michel revealed that the problem is something to do with the SMTP mail server. The problem goes away by using gmail.

Simon