Auto Rebooting

pacificsloop

Thanks Michel & all,

I will setup a static IP from within the ISY. I do use manual port forwarding not the UPnP.

On a side issue, does changing the default port numbers from 80/443 to something else make it more secure against outside attackers since they won't find anything at the normal web server http/https ports?

Changing the default port number won't really provide any additional security against even the most basic malicious attacker. It will add a thin veil against anyone "stumbling" on to it so to speak especially if you use a domain name to access your network. Your best security protection at this point is as long a password as you can stand. Few people realize when it comes to passwords length is far more important than complexity. A 5 digit complex password is far easier to break and harder to remember than an easier to remember full length sentence. I'm not sure what the character limit is on the ISY. (Hopefully we will also get some basic permission structures in the future so we can specify admin functions usable only via LAN)

In some soho routers/gateways you aren't necessarily able to specify a port number for remote https access for the gateway so I would recommend using a different default port if you want to use https to connect to your router and can't specify 8080 or something to that affect.

• 1 month later...

There certainly are different views on the subject of static ip addys vs. DHCP assigned.

I always prefer to have static addys on my homelan. It could depend on the wherewithall

embodied in the end user. I have never had ip addy conflicts caused by anything but

mine own inability to remember what static addys I have in use.

And so now I always ping the proposed addy and prove that it is open before I assign it - one must keep in mind

that a piece of equipment could be temporarily powered off or not on the network and thus it would appear that

it's address is open for use.

All of this could get messy depending on the end user's abilities and so I see the justification behind

leaving everything DHCP, possibly with reservations.

There is a reason that servers and critical infrastructure is usually assigned a static addy.

I consider my home automation box and server to be critical infrastructure.

I have seen many little ip addressable power boxes.....fire up a browser and go to it's ip addy

and click the button - it cuts juice to the load, thusly rebooting the attached device.

If you'd expect to do this remotely then you had better know what the ipaddy of the

powerswitch is. Hence a static addy or pre-knowledge or remote access or something.

Let me know if you're interested in killing the ISY power in a remote fashion and I'll

google something up fer ya :)

Ya know....I have yet to ever have a piece of hardware where power cycling is never

actuially required - be it a lockup...or just for good measure...or upon the advice

of the manufacturer's technical support. Preserving the capability to reboot remotely

is always A Good Thing. Considering that my ISY will eventually live under the house

I'll be putting it's wart on an ip addressable power strip. And it'll be static.

I am not a network expert either. But it seems that .14 is giving you trouble. Perhaps it has nothing to do with the .14, but a simple thing to do would be pick a different IP.

Myself, I have my router dhcp set to start at .100. My ISY is static at .9 and it gets that number from ISY settings. The router doesn't have any role in assigning that address and it works always. The only thing the router does is port forward to .9 so I can access from outside my LAN if needed.

Very true that one should not static a device within DHCP address space.

One device will step on the other if they try to both occupy the same ip addy.

That's the "wherewithall" that may or may not reside within the average

home user....the understanding of all this.

Archived