Connection ISY to my G.E. NetworX house alarm system?!?

someguy

I'd like to make a very simple(ha!) interface between my GE NetworX alarm system and my ISY. I'd like ISY to be able to arm and disarm and to have the ISY "know" whether the system is armed. Can anyone suggest a way to do this?

If the answer is "just switch the alarm system to an ELK system", then gharshk, that sounds expensive?

If your GE system has inputs/outputs that can be programmed to indicate armed status and to cause the system to arm/disarm, then an Insteon IO linc would be the only item needed. I have a very basic DSC alarm panel at my office and it can do this, so there is a descent chance the GE unit does as well.

If your GE system has an IP interface and can send/receive REST commands (and you have the ISY network module), then you could use that. But this would be rather complex and require documentation that may not be available and a pretty good knowledge of this stuff. IOGuy did it with DSC alarms and with the CAI webcontrol unit. But he is not the average Joe when it comes to this sort of skill set.

So, maybe looking for a IP / REST interface for my alarm is a possible starting place?

Frankly, if all you want is to arm/disarm and have arm/disarm status on the ISY, I would say you are in for a lot of work trying to figure out all network interfacing. Many alarm panels have an output that will power on when the system is armed and you can often program a zone to cause the system to arm/disarm. Hardwiring those two things to an IO linc will take a few minutes and it should accomplish your goals.

But if you want to try to figure out the network thing then go for it. You will probably need an application running on a pc to act as an intermediary between ISY and GE. Download ioguys one for DSC and you can get the idea.

Frankly, if all you want is to arm/disarm and have arm/disarm status on the ISY, I would say you are in for a lot of work trying to figure out all network interfacing. Many alarm panels have an output that will power on when the system is armed and you can often program a zone to cause the system to arm/disarm. Hardwiring those two things to an IO linc will take a few minutes and it should accomplish your goals.

But if you want to try to figure out the network thing then go for it. You will probably need an application running on a pc to act as an intermediary between ISY and GE. Download ioguys one for DSC and you can get the idea.

I was thinking of a better interface, so I can tell whether the system is armed, etc.

I found this:

NX-590E network interface manual

Any ideas as to whether ISY will connect / interface / cooperate with this?

You will need to write an app for a PC or some other device that acts as an intermediary. . .unless you can program the GE to send commands to ISY in its format, which isn't likely. There is a good chance that ISY can be programmed to directly send commands to the alarm in its format.

But as I mentioned. Your GE probably has an output that turns on when the system is on and off when it is off. Plugging that into an IO linc will allow the IO linc to keep ISY in sync.

Archived