Mix insteon and zigbee?

to_lighter

The 994i accepts a zigbee radio attachment allowing both zigbee and insteon control. I don't know the details of zigbee support and whether only limited devices are supported or all devices are supported.

I have to say, however, what is up with only Apple stores selling these? And what is up with the silly colors? For half the price you can get the Insteon bulb and be limited to that good old standby soft white. Maybe they are good for Christmas or Halloween decorations.

My understanding is that zigbee support IS pretty limited. If I recall correctly, I believe it may be limited to certain energy monitors. Hopefully, others can confirm with greater certainty.

what is up with only Apple stores selling these

This allows all the apple fans to start claiming that the iPhone is the first device to allow one to control a lightbulb through their smartphone.

Are there any plans to expand this? I'm outfitting a new condo and would like to stay with ISY, but it's becoming clear that an Insteon-only solution may be very limiting for some of the things I need to do (unfortunately). I also assume that since Apple/Philips is pushing the Zigbee protocol, more solutions are likely to utilize it.

I'm not leaving Insteon, but it's becoming clear that I may need to augment it with another protocol. I'd love to be able to just upgrade to the Zigbee-enabled ISY if more devices may be in our future!

Hi Guys,

Currently, our Zigbee solution supports only the following devices:

RCS Thermostats

RCS Load Controllers

Brultech ECM1240

UDI 3 Phase Heavy Duty Energy Monitor

With kind regards,

Michel

This allows all the apple fans to start claiming that the iPhone is the first device to allow one to control a lightbulb through their smartphone.

As a quite dedicated iSheep, I look forward to Apple producing a large screen TV set that completely

and forever eliminates 5 Remote Syndrome, as well as also consolidating the home automation world with

a GUI that is easy to use and intuitive. As opposed to the current state of the home automation world which

is fractured and messed up. Witness ye the mess that has been created by the cable/TV industry where

they can't even see fit to co-operate on IR codes.

My Sony TV & Onkyo receiver speak to each other quite nicely. I can control everything flawlessly using only the Sony TV remote. The receiver responds in kind. However, since I want to control Insteon devices via the ISY, I use my Harmony remote--which eliminated the 5-remote syndrome long ago without having to pay the iTax. But, I have to say the need for the Harmony remote was diminished greatly when I bought the Sony TV. HDMI fixes a lot of things when manufacturers implement it properly.

As much as I like my Apple and iDevices, I'm not in any particular hurry for them to consolidate anything. It generally means removing features to appeal to the masses. I'd rather not have to sync my home automation system through iTunes if I can at all help it!!

As a quite dedicated iSheep, I look forward to Apple producing a large screen TV set that completely

and forever eliminates 5 Remote Syndrome, as well as also consolidating the home automation world with

a GUI that is easy to use and intuitive. As opposed to the current state of the home automation world which

is fractured and messed up. Witness ye the mess that has been created by the cable/TV industry where

they can't even see fit to co-operate on IR codes.

Hello davidology,

Yes, there are definitely plans to expand our Zigbee product support. This said, it all depends on demand for specific products. Specifically for Zigbee, unfortunately interoperability is only at a Profile layer. So, for instance, Home Automation Profile is NOT interoperable with RC Profile. SEP is not interoperable with anything else. So, we will basically have to figure out where most of the demand comes from and implement those.

With kind regards,

Michel

I'd rather not have to sync my home automation system through iTunes if I can at all help it!!

AMEN!

-Xathros

Baaaaaaa...

• 2 months later...
And what is up with the silly colors? For half the price you can get the Insteon bulb and be limited to that good old standby soft white. Maybe they are good for Christmas or Halloween decorations.

The default color is a good white but being able to change colors for scenes is VERY useful. I've interfaced all of mine with my ISY based on network resources but I'd LOVE a direct integration with these bulbs. The Apple exclusive will expire but I do plan on changing most of my bulbs to these once the newer spotlight shaped ones come out (the current ones are too small for some of my cans (given the can angle on a sloped ceiling I find the small size very noticeable) Id suggest trying one set, you can do some pretty neat things with them an the ISY

Archived