How to monitor water temp via ISY and catch more fish!

jmed999

unfortunately it reads 126 degrees on my ISY once it goes below zero.

ahhhh ... that sounds like that may be a 9 bit signed integer (0.5 degrees each bit) reading misinterpreted as an unsigned binary value. 2^7-2  You may be able to convert the result by fudging the value if you can run more negative temperature trials

Do you think this could be done with one of the older Venstar thermostats?  I have 3 laying around - INSTEON 2491T1ER Integrated Remote Control

hmmmmmm... hard to test fro calibration. Put in the freezer and when you take out you should get a range of temperature reports but how would you know what the actual temperature is?

ahhhh... brainstorm!

Get a Styrofoam cooler for $1.98.

Put the thermostat in the freezer for a few hours with a few bottles of water.

Put them all into the cooler

Poke a calibrating alcohol thermometer through the Styrofoam wall and record real vs. reading temperature on the ISY at  of reading..

Establish any linearity relationship. There may be a pattern or mathematical relationship.

We need an ISY995i with a USB port and driver install loader.

... Think of the possibilities for UDI. $19.95 per driver?

Hi larryllix,

We are working on it alas at very early stages. Will update everyone on our progress.

With kind regards,

Michel

That's the big problem with UDI. They want to fix everything to work better, just like the rest of the crowd here. :)

I don't know this is an ISY problem but....

Thanks.

• 2 months later...

I just bought another one and did the same. All this year I've been running this hardwired to monitor the temp of my reef aquarium, no issues. I use it mainly to ensure if temp drops below 74' I get an email/text.  But, I wanted to set one up to monitor temperature outside to control some things. I wanted to share, I discovered the ISY will only update if it's a 2' swing. So, you must hardwire this into a power brick to ensure it always pings. 

Hello,

I'm new to ISY but have been using an Insteon Wireless Thermostat to monitor a pool for a few weeks.  Until today, it was running on battery and using the waterproof probe connected to the external sensor port.  Today I soldered the external thermometer and switched to a 5V power supply and now I'm having a problem.  Though the temperature reads correctly, when put in the pool, the temperature display is going crazy, updating multiple times per second (and seems to be between +/-5 of the actual water temperature). So basically the temperature can't be read.  It didn't happen on battery power, which may have been because it doesn't poll the temperature as frequently? It also doesn't happen when its measuring the air temperature so I don't think its a soldering issue, but does anyone have any idea?

Thank you. 

What a great thread, lots of good info. 

I am looking into getting this T-stat with the remote sensor to monitor my hot tub temp when I am away.  However I have a question(s) in regards to the unit being battery powered...

1. When under batter power will the unit sent the status of the remote sensor to the ISY to allow for low temp alerts

2. The ambient temp get to -20 C (-4 F), the hot tub compartment always stays above freezing, any expectations on battery life

3. The hottub is outside approx 30-40' from the ISY or 10' from a Dual Band switchlinc, will I have any comms issues ( this may be trial and error).

Thanks in advance

I don't know about the low temp reading on this unit but the max mine will read is 99 degrees I assume because it's a two digit display?  Not sure if it actually can determine over that or not but one limitation I found when using with my hot tub.  Other than that I bought intermatic temperature prob and soldered to mine

• 1 year later...

Does anyone know the type of probe that is compatible with the Insteon thermostat?  

I'm needing a pipe plug type probe to monitor the water temp from the pipes going to my pool pump.  There is not an easy way for me to get a wire all the way to the pool itself.  The pipe plug taps into the PVC pipe and monitors that way.

Alternatively, I was looking at DS18B20 type probe via the EZIO8SA but don't have any idea how that would work or if it natively integrates with the ISY device.

My pool heater had at least one temp probe but that seems to be outputting AC voltage which I can't find support for on a device either....

Thanks for any guidance....

Daniel

It is normally  hard wired into the four position terminal block inside the 2441ZT Wireless Thermostat.

There is a small photo on the probes sales page. Showing where it is normally wired to.

Note unless you wire it into the sensor inside the module connection on the circuit board and not the terminal block. The external temperature only shows on its local LCD screen and not sent back for use.

You would also have to know its characteristics of the probe. So the one you want to substitute will read correct temperatures.

The probe can be wired to replace of the internal sensor, but the thermostat is meant for ambient temperature. What's the range of temperatures you need to measure? Are you concerned with the temperature of the water in the pipe or the water in the pool? Which specific probe/heater are you using now?

It is normally  hard wired into the four position terminal block inside the 2441ZT Wireless Thermostat.

There is a small photo on the probes sales page. Showing where it is normally wired to.

Note unless you wire it into the sensor inside the module connection on the circuit board and not the terminal block. The external temperature only shows on its local LCD screen and not sent back for use.

You would also have to know its characteristics of the probe. So the one you want to substitute will read correct temperatures.

The external sensor can be selected in the 2441ZTH and it does send the temperature back to ISY but ISY has no support for this function so the data is lost.

Als,o the internal sensor data is not sent back to ISY, when "External" is selected, and the external sensor readings are only sent as 1.0C degree resolution.

There was a previous thread about this, about 5-6 months ago, and some events traces were posted demonstrating this data.

I installed the remote wireless thermostat to my pool equipment to monitor the actual temp of my pool. I soldered in the wired waterproof temperature sensor and cut it into the return at my pool equipment. If you solder it in the actual thermistor position, you can see it within the ISY. Very easy to do. I was able to use a 1/2" plug drilled to fit the sensor inside, then I sealed it using water weld to secure it. I am able to service it when need be. The last image is from the Pool thermostat showing the temp using Agave.

post-4019-0-50302400-1463980204_thumb.jpg

post-4019-0-45766700-1463980219_thumb.jpg

post-4019-0-87604700-1463980234_thumb.jpg

post-4019-0-74958900-1463980250_thumb.jpg

post-4019-0-89447400-1463980264_thumb.jpg

post-4019-0-44827800-1463980621_thumb.png

• 9 months later...

Sorry old thread being dug up and things may have changed.  Does anyone know if the mod is still required or will the ISY now see the remote probe without the mod (swapping the sensors)?  I upgraded to a 60 gallon tank and I want to monitor the temp and send a under/over temp message.

Thanks

Archived