variable counter questions

bjhanson3

FWIW I ran this test on both an SL dimmer and a 6-button KPL using an integer (non-state) variable.

It behaved as I expected, incrementing the variable by 1 on each "on" press, regardless of the current state of the device.

(This was ISY FW V3.3.7 -- The SL dimmer was V.38 and the KPL was V.36)

I regret I can't come up with idea that would explain your particular anomaly with this. But ISY problems can be very subtle. Make sure you have reasonably recent firmware.

• 1 month later...

I ran another more comprehensive test today of 12 different switchlink dimmers. All of the dual band dimmers displayed the problem where it took took toggles to get the variable to register an increase of one. All the non dual band switches responded as you would want with one toggle increasing the variable one. Any thoughts on why dual band could be linked to this issue?

This is the test program. All I did was change the switch in the if statement and monitor the count on the integer variable to track changes in it's value with each on command of the selected switch.

If

Control 'TOP landing lights' is switched On

Then

$iBathroom_Fan_Counter += 1

Else

- No Actions - (To add one, press 'Action')

Since variables have no knowledge of the device type driving the Program there is a comm problem with the devices tested. Run Tools | Diagnostics | Event Viewer at LEVEL 3 and run the test on some of the devices that are not consistent. I suspect the Hops Left=x count will vary or be at Hops Left=0 for many of the paddle interactions which indicate poor comm.

I think wired Dual Band devices can have environmental conditions that reduce RF effectiveness compared to a pluggable Access Point for example. Look at the Hops Left=x count for the problem devices as well as some of the devices that appear to be working. See if there is a pattern relative to which phase the devices are on, how far from the PLM, related to a particular 120v circuit or circuits, etc.

I ran another more comprehensive test today of 12 different switchlink dimmers. All of the dual band dimmers displayed the problem where it took took toggles to get the variable to register an increase of one. All the non dual band switches responded as you would want with one toggle increasing the variable one. Any thoughts on why dual band could be linked to this issue?

This is the test program. All I did was change the switch in the if statement and monitor the count on the integer variable to track changes in it's value with each on command of the selected switch.

If

Then

Else

I just tested one of my dual band switchlinks, no probs. Added one for every click. 2477d v.40

If

Then

Else

I agree -

I tried this on my one (only) 2477D V.40 and received the same results and virtually identical event log. I have tried disabling programs, removing my passive coupler, and adding accesspoints to no avail. The ISY seems to regard every other paddle press as a "duplicate" event.

By slowing the paddle presses to 1 every 3 seconds, the ISY recognizes the presses as "unique" events.

This does appear to be something related to the 2477D or the way that the ISY interprets its communications. I have been running similar counting programs on non-dual band relays and dimmers since variables were introduced (fan timer programs). I have never seen a hiccup on these.

If

Then

Else

I agree -

I tried this on my one (only) 2477D V.40 and received the same results and virtually identical event log. I have tried disabling programs, removing my passive coupler, and adding accesspoints to no avail. The ISY seems to regard every other paddle press as a "duplicate" event.

By slowing the paddle presses to 1 every 3 seconds, the ISY recognizes the presses as "unique" events.

This does appear to be something related to the 2477D or the way that the ISY interprets its communications. I have been running similar counting programs on non-dual band relays and dimmers since variables were introduced (fan timer programs). I have never seen a hiccup on these.

OK, yes. I just did it rapid fire and had the same problem. If you wait a few seconds between clicks it gets every one. I have no idea why it would do that.

After performing more tests it's painfully evident that I don't have a clue what is going on...

The following is a comparison of a 2476D (powerline) vs 2477D (dual band) with timing as identical as I can get it.

The 2476D is a V.40 (I2) dimmer.

The 2477D is a V.38 (I2) dual-band dimmer.

All programs are disabled - except my variable counting program.

Passive coupler removed.

Accesspoints on each leg of the panel (not my normal configuration).

Count.gif

Thinking that this might be a dual-band "echo" that is somehow not being transmitted to the ISY, I replaced the 2477D with a 2477S. To my surprise this worked flawlessly.

2477S V.42 (I2CS) Switch wired in the 2477D dimmer location.

Programs enabled/disabled has no effect - program counts consistently.

Passive coupler installed/removed has no effect.

Accesspoints installed/removed has not effect.

Hopefully someone smarter than I can make sense of this...

count1.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Archived