Thermostat recommendation

JSchumann

Getting an ISY 994 and looking for a thermostst that will be compatible.

The Insteon had some bad reviews....some saying that it is not not compatible with ISY

The Venstar looks like you need an add on to make it work with ISY.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,

John

I have purchased and installed 6 of the Insteon Thermostats and all work perfectly, I do no have any of the remote style though. These thermostats are a newer revision and the issues of the triacs have been resolved by moving the temperature sensor away from them, and giving a positive read. And I have no issues with the triacs heating up, they are only controlling a small relay in the zone control panel, which in turn energize the relay for the heat pump and boiler. The only thing I would like to see is more backlight control. Only options you have for now is ON, OFF,10 Seconds or 60 Seconds. The backlight is very bright, too bright for a bedroom if you like darkness when trying to sleep. SmartLabs says that a dimmer option may be in a future update. They seem to work fine with my ISY-99I. You can even use the t-stat to trigger events, I use it to turn on/off a humidifier through an appliancelinc. I also control my ceiling fans with temperature setpoints on the t-stats as well. I was hesitant at first to buy this t-stat as well, but for no reason they work fine for now.

John,

I have a friend who had two Venstar's and replaced them with the Insteon T-Stats. But for now I think he liked the display characteristics on the Insteon better, such as the mode display like heat or cool. I think all he wanted to see was heat and not cool being displayed. I will find out and let you know. Maybe if Rand from U-D reads this forum he can let you know, he mentioned to me that he has Venstars.

My RCS is starting to die and was researching tstats as well . I read a lot of bad reviews on the insteon tstat that the thermostat has to be on to receive commands and that it times out quickly to preserve battery life. Does the insteon tstat play nice with elk? I have had no issue with my elk / RCS setup for 5 years now until this recent issue. If there is a reliability issue, or even a hint of it, I think I would go with something hardwired that elk supports.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Archived