Devices in multiple scenes

wswartz

Here's a diagram of what I have set up:

scene_diagram.png

My issue is, if I turn on Scene1 from KPL1, of course, button D lights up. If I then turn on Scene2 from KPL2, then turn it off again from KPL2, button D on KPL1 is still lit up on KPL1.

I also have a similar situation where I invoke Scene2 as a Fast On from SW2 or SW3 and turn it off again with a Fast Off. If Scene1 is already on, button D will still be lit when SW2/SW3 turns it off.

What's the best way to fix this and keep the button lights in sync. Do I need a program to monitor these and adjust the lights accordingly?

Thanks,

Bill

The nature of your solution will depend on a couple of factors. If kpl1 is off and you invoke scene2, do you not want kpl1 to come on? Does it matter? If kpl1 is on and you invoke scene2, do youwant kpl1 to stay on? Does it matter?

Are any of the togglelincs dimmers?

Wow, good questions...

If kpl1 is off and you invoke scene2, do you not want kpl1 to come on? Does it matter?

If KPL1 button D is off and Scene2 turns on, I don't need button D to come on as well. Does it matter? Probably not.

If kpl1 is on and you invoke scene2, do you want kpl1 to stay on? Does it matter?

I think I would want both. When I wrote the question, I was thinking that, if Scene1 was on then Scene2 turned on, then Scene2 was turned off, that it would also turn off Scene1 (both SW1 and KPL1/D). However, your question got me thinking about another area in the house where I would like Scene1 to stay on.

Thanks!

Insteon does not chain Scenes. Turning Scene2 On/Off from KPL2 has no affect on KPL1 button D as that button is not part of Scene2. If you make KPL1 button D a Responder to Scene2 it will turn On and Off with KPL2 button C.

I am not sure exactly what KPL button On/Off activity is desired. Since Scene2 is controlling SW1 it seems natural that KPL1 button D would be a Responder to Scene2 as well. Just not sure that is the result you are looking for.

If KPL1 button D is off and Scene2 turns on, I don't need button D to come on as well. Does it matter? Probably not.

The answer to this question could dictate a solution. If it does not matter, simply make KPL1D a responder to scene 2 (which would cause KPL1D to come on and off with scene 2, probably my preference). If you would prefer KPL1D to stay off in response to scene 2, but want KPL1D to turn off when scene 2 goes off, this suggests to me that a scene will not work and that you would need a program, such as:

if

control KPL2D is set off

then

set KPL1D off

else

As I see it, KPL1D is an indicator showing that the load on switch 1 is on. I would want KPL1D to come on any time switch 1 goes on, including with scene 2

The answer to this question could dictate a solution. If it does not matter, simply make KPL1D a responder to scene 2 (which would cause KPL1D to come on and off with scene 2, probably my preference). If you would prefer KPL1D to stay off in response to scene 2, but want KPL1D to turn off when scene 2 goes off, this suggests to me that a scene will not work and that you would need a program, such as:

if

control KPL2D is set off

then

set KPL1D off

else

As I see it, KPL1D is an indicator showing that the load on switch 1 is on. I would want KPL1D to come on any time switch 1 goes on, including with scene 2

Except you cannot turn on/off a KPL secondary button with a direct command so instead:

If 
  Status SW1 is Off

Then
  Set Scene1 off

That said, I have to agree with oberkc and others above in that KPL1D should be a responder in Scene2 and follow the actual status of SW1 regardless of which scene turns SW1 on/off. You might even consider making KPL2C a responder in Scene1 since when Scene1 is on, Scene2 is partially on.

-Xathros

xcept you cannot turn on/off a KPL secondary button with a direct command so instead

xothros is, of course, correct. This is one of those details that I continue to forget. In case it is not clear in his updated example, "scene1" would be a newly-created scene with a single responder: KPL1D.

Oberkc-

Wswartz already has a Scene1 defined - See his first post - The blue boxes. I was simply making use of it to turn on/off the KPL button when the overlapping Scene2 or something else turned on/off SW1.

-Xathros

As has been mentioned,

I think your likely to be satisfied by adding KPL1 button D as a responder to scene 2.

The question then is how you have sw1, 2, and 3 setup. Basically, to what scenes are they responders and controllers. For example, if all 3 are responders only, when you shut them off at the switches, none of the kpls will go off. If sw1 is set as a controller to scene 1, then kpl1,d will turn off, but the other kpl will stay on. If all 3 control scene 2, then shutting any of the 3 off will shut down everything. If SW1 controls scene 1, then shutting it off will turn of kpl1d, but everything else will stay on.

There is no perfect way to do overlapping scenes because the logic will always find a way to contradict itself somehow in some scenario (depending on your personal brand of logic).

Wswartz already has a Scene1 defined - See his first post - The blue boxes.

Xathros, the problem with using the existing scene1 for controlling the keypad is that the "on" levels for scene 1 (with regards to the switch SW1) might be different than for scene 2.

Since we are trying to turn on KPL1D in response to scene 2, using scene 1 for this purpose might cause SW1 to be at a different level than desired.

Wswartz already has a Scene1 defined - See his first post - The blue boxes.

Xathros, the problem with using the existing scene1 for controlling the keypad is that the "on" levels for scene 1 (with regards to the switch SW1) might be different than for scene 2.

Since we are trying to turn on KPL1D in response to scene 2, using scene 1 for this purpose might cause SW1 to be at a different level than desired.

Good point. I was running under the assumption that the switches were of the relay type but that was never specified even though the question was asked.

-Xathros

Good point. I was running under the assumption that the switches were of the relay type but that was never specified even though the question was asked.

Maybe it was a valid point in theory, but refreshing my memory by re-reading the post, we were turning the light OFF (not on). Using scene1 would work just fine.

Archived