Device Check on/off

deeepdish

Hi,

A rather strange request this time. However useful, I think.

Can a on/off method be implemented either globally or per device (preferable) where the administrator can enable/disable device query/check when the console starts?

Here's where this may be of use.

Say you have a shed in your backyard and wired all external outlets using Insteon devices in the shed (indoor). Every year you winterize your property this would include cutting power to the shed from your house electrical panel. During winter months those devices will be inaccessible since they will be physically powered off, but the admin console witll complain every time it loads because it can't query a device.

What if the warnings were eliminated altogether and when a device fails to respond to a query, it's status is just set to "unknown". That way you are not bugged with messages during startup but you can still go to the device list and see which devices had a problem if you want to.

Of course the next time the device responds with a valid status the "unkown" would once again be replaced with the true status of the device.

deeepdish,

Thanks so very much for the feedback!

This is on our list of requirements and should be implemented at the same time as Triggers 2.0.

With kind regards,

Michel

Hi,

Can a on/off method be implemented either globally or per device (preferable) where the administrator can enable/disable device query/check when the console starts?

Say you have a shed in your backyard and wired all external outlets using Insteon devices in the shed (indoor). Every year you winterize your property this would include cutting power to the shed from your house electrical panel. During winter months those devices will be inaccessible since they will be physically powered off, but the admin console witll complain every time it loads because it can't query a device.

This request has suddenly become relevant for me as I am adding seasonal Appliancelincs. One possibility would be to add a "DISABLE" option in the context menu of each device, so the devices can be activated/deactivated within ISY without actually removing them. The device icon can then be replaced with a similar icon, but with a circle and line through it. (What I always think of as the "Ghostbusters" sign.)

Hi,

Hi all!

I'd not opt for the disable function as in my setup it would still be important to assure that an "ALL OFF" call could and would still be made. I have many errant turn ons due to the power outages. Lets say that you "disable" an APL or Outletlinc and then a power outage turns it on in error. If it were disabled and ISY did not know about it or ignored it because it was "disabled" I'd have a situation of wasted energy. Obviously if the power weredead to that particular part of the house (or APL was unplugged) that wouldn't be a problem. In my case it is probably simpler to just program out a switch or linc than unplug it.

aLF

Hello aLf,

Long time no see. I think this requirement is for cases where you physically remove a device from power but you do not want to remove it from ISY.

With kind regards,

Michel

Hi all!

I'd not opt for the disable function as in my setup it would still be important to assure that an "ALL OFF" call could and would still be made. I have many errant turn ons due to the power outages. Lets say that you "disable" an APL or Outletlinc and then a power outage turns it on in error. If it were disabled and ISY did not know about it or ignored it because it was "disabled" I'd have a situation of wasted energy. Obviously if the power weredead to that particular part of the house (or APL was unplugged) that wouldn't be a problem. In my case it is probably simpler to just program out a switch or linc than unplug it.

aLF

• 5 months later...

Having just unplugged my ApplianeLincs that had some Halloween lights on them, I logged on to suggest the capability to "disable" a device so that the ISY doesn't complain that communication with it fails. I found this thread. So, I'll just add my voice of support here. I would find this enhancement to be very worthwhile.

I agree a Disable flag would be useful. In the meantime I have setup several groups containing all the devices I want to Query at 3AM.

If
       Time is  3:00:00AM

Then
       Set Scene 'Indoor Lights' Query
       Set Scene 'Outside Lights' Query
       Set Scene 'Basement Lights' Query

Else
  - No Actions - (To add one, press 'Action')

Schedule migrated from previous version.
Modified for specific devices.

Only if the ISY is reset does it query all known devices. When this happens I plug in the holiday x-lincs and query them. Then I can unplug them again until the next power outage.

Rand

Archived