Leak Sensors - A (Suggested) Complete Program Package

belias

I know this is a somewhat old thread, but I am scratching my head on this...

I setup a leak sensor and built the programs.  When I test the sensor, I can see the status go from 1 to 9 (which is correct), but the notification does not fire automatically.  If I manually tell the ISY to run the IF statement it works, but shouldn't that be automatic? Literally, IF the variable is 9, THEN send the notification.

What am I missing?  It has got to be something simple.  Attached is a screenshot of the very simple program.

P.S.  The program is enabled so that isn't it.

post-311-0-49029600-1491248409_thumb.png

Make sure $sLeakWashingMachine is a State variable, it appears to be by looking at the name. If you manually change the value to 9 (from some other value) your program should run if it is a State variable.

Make sure $sLeakWashingMachine is a State variable, it appears to be by looking at the name. If you manually change the value to 9 (from some other value) your program should run if it is a State variable.

That fixed it.  I was spacing out and using the wrong variable type.  Thank you!

• 2 months later...

Thanks for this great set of programs.  I just installed two leak sensors and they tested good.  Just waiting the 24 hours for the heartbeats to check in.

One issue I am having, sort of off topic, is that my state variable sLeakSumpPump is not getting 'translated' in my email notification.  I put it in as ${sLeakSumpPump} in the email customization, but when I get the email notification it shows as ${sLeakSumpPump}, not the value of the variable. Is there something special I have to do to get the value of my variable to show up in my email notification?

Here's a screen shot of my email customization.  The other system variables come through just fine.

post-8371-0-78324900-1498361174_thumb.png

Thanks for everyones help on here.  This is a great forum.

Thanks for this great set of programs. I just installed two leak sensors and they tested good. Just waiting the 24 hours for the heartbeats to check in.

One issue I am having, sort of off topic, is that my state variable sLeakSumpPump is not getting 'translated' in my email notification. I put it in as ${sLeakSumpPump} in the email customization, but when I get the email notification it shows as ${sLeakSumpPump}, not the value of the variable. Is there something special I have to do to get the value of my variable to show up in my email notification?

Here's a screen shot of my email customization. The other system variables come through just fine.

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2017-06-24 at 11.25.04 PM.png

Thanks for everyones help on here. This is a great forum.

Your variable should look like the other nodes you inserted into the email. Use the same button at the bottom to generate the code.

${var.xxx.yy)

Thanks for the quick reply.  But, I want the value of the state variable I setup, sLeakSumpPump. If I follow your format, what do I put in for xxx and yyy?

Thanks

You select the variable from the pulldown list and click the button to insert it.

XXX  and YYY will be the variable page number and the variable number on that page.

Thanks again for the reply.  I must have been having a senior moment.  I felt so foolish when I finally figured out, with you guidance, how to put variables into the notifications.

Not a problem. We've all been there! :)

That's what the forum is for.

When a leak sensor detects a leak and then is dry, how long does this portfolio of programs change the variable from "9" back to "1"?

The usual process for the Insteon Leak detectors is:

- the Wet ON and Dry Off signals are sent upon feeling water.

- the Dry On and Wet Off signals are sent upon the user tapping the button on the LD.

There is no automatic "clearing" of the alarm condition.

Therefore, if a clearing operation is not done, there is no new change of status to be detected again.

..."If you don't reload the gun, it won't shoot" :)

The usual process for the Insteon Leak detectors is:

- the Wet ON and Dry Off signals are sent upon feeling water.

- the Dry On and Wet Off signals are sent upon the user tapping the button on the LD.

There is no automatic "clearing" of the alarm condition.

Therefore, if a clearing operation is not done, there is no new change of status to be detected again.

..."If you don't reload the gun, it won't shoot" :)

Older leak sensors did return to dry automatically. Newer ones do not, and this thread is about using the newer ones http://forum.universal-devices.com/index.php?/topic/15170-Leak-Sensors---Another-(Suggested)-Complete-Program-Package

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Older leak sensors did return to dry automatically. Newer ones do not, and this thread is about using the newer ones http://forum.universal-devices.com/index.php?/topic/15170-Leak-Sensors---Another-(Suggested)-Complete-Program-Package

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Thanks Jimbo.

I didn;t know they had changed. Mine are all purchased within a few years and the last two, within a year(ish) and they all need to still be tapped to reset. IIRC my latest is rev2.3   4314...hmmm... time flies!

I do have one that will send Wet ON and Off depending how long the tap is... That's dangerous, worrying about whether I will have to reset everything again when I attempt a reset . :)

I guess I had the wrong impression as to how these leak sensors worked.  I thought they tripped back and forth depending on if the contacts were wet or not.  I didn't realize I had to physically reset the sensor after it 'tripped' to wet.

I guess I had the wrong impression as to how these leak sensors worked.  I thought they tripped back and forth depending on if the contacts were wet or not.  I didn't realize I had to physically reset the sensor after it 'tripped' to wet.

If you didn't notice or missed a notification about the leak. then you would never know a leak occurred if the sensor automatically reset when the contacts became dry.

I have programs installed to record any leak detector that triggers in a single Integer variable list. I have to manually clear it from the admin console.

I had a few basement floods (minor) and you will be inside the admin console to see what happened. It's the only way to see if it actually reset.

OTOH: I developed a policy that I haven't completely implemented. 

anything that notifies of a problem has to notify when the problem goes away.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, I see this program and another by rabbit1543 (based on this version)

1. Which is the better option?

2. Is there a post with the programs that has all fixes inserted so I don't have to sort it all out?

Thanks,

John

The Belias programs have been argued, reviewed, and edited several times to get the bugs out.

However, my beef is they are very cryptic by using numbered programs and meaningless variable names.

My suggestion is to copy the Belias system verbatim, and then use ISYs search and replace features to install sane names, that mean something to you later.

Sent from my SGH-I257M using Tapatalk

• 5 months later...

I checked out the thread on the new leak sensors, and it looks like the major change is that the new version does not update the node status when the sensor goes from wet to dry.  The issue (if I understand it correctly) is that this creates the situation where everything can look fine in the program (Status = 1; no emails) even though the sensor could be stuck in a Wet condition (and unable to report a new leak).

I took a look at the programs, and came up with the following thoughts on a modification.  I don't have the new version of the leak sensors, so it will be up to someone else to test and report back.  Open for suggestions on how to streamline this as well...

"Change Log"

1.  If a heartbeat signal is received and the sensor is reporting "wet", the status will remain at 9 (causing future emails to be sent)

2.  If a heartbeat signal is missed and the sensor is reporting "wet", the status will change to 2 (heartbeat missed; causing future emails)

3.  This preserves the functionality of the Variable Control 3 program (regardless of wet / dry) to ensure that Variable Control 2 is running correctly

4.  The modified program should work with old and/or new sensors

Program Modifications (untested)

1.  Variable Control 2 is split into 2 separate programs:

Variable Control 2a

If
(
Control 'Leak Sensors / Kitchen Sink-Heartbeat' is switched On
Or Control 'Leak Sensors / Kitchen Sink-Heartbeat' is switched Off
)
And Status 'Leak Sensors / Kitchen Sink-Wet' is not On

Then
$sLeakKitchenSink = 1
Wait 25 hours
$sLeakKitchenSink = 2

Else
- No Actions - (To add one, press 'Action')

Variable Control 2b

If
(
Control 'Leak Sensors / Kitchen Sink-Heartbeat' is switched On
Or Control 'Leak Sensors / Kitchen Sink-Heartbeat' is switched Off
)
And Status 'Leak Sensors / Kitchen Sink-Wet' is On

Then
Wait 25 hours
$sLeakKitchenSink = 2

Else

2. Modify Variable Control 3

If
(
$sLeakKitchenSink is 1
And Time is Last Run Time for 'KitchenSink - Variable Control 2a' + 26 hours
)
Or (
$sLeakKitchenSink is 9
And Time is Last Run Time for 'KitchenSink - Variable Control 2b' + 26 hours
)

Then
Wait 5 seconds
$sLeakKitchenSink = 3

Else

That's it...please report back any findings and I will update the original post if it works properly.

Thanks.

- Brian

Sorry if I missed it... but is this now the final version people are using?  I just bought 2 new leak sensors. want to try it out...

• 2 months later...

I've had this program running well for over 2 years,  and just recently it started to have problems after multiple power failures within a 2 hour period.

3 out of 4 sensors now give a "3" report twice a day (heartbeat check program not running).  I can manually reset those 3 to a 1 notification by running "then" via the admin console summary window in each sensor's "variable control 2" .  This brings the notification on all three back to a "1".....but a few hours later (NOT at 6 pm or 9am) all three of those sensors revert to a 3 notification.

Somehow this all seems to stem from the recycling of the ISY during the 2 power failures,   but I am stumped and lost as to how to get the program running correctly again.  Would appreciate any  help or advice.

10 hours ago, Michel Kohanim said:

Hi curmudgeon,

Please review:https://wiki.universal-devices.com/index.php?title=INSTEON_No_Status_Feedback_From_Devices

With kind regards,

Michel

So @Michel Kohanim , for a Motion Sensor, for example, is that a total of 3 nodes for the one device?  (Dusk.Dawn, LowBat, and Sensor)?  (And WetSensor = 3 also, same type of thing?)

Is there anything in the 5.0.x firmware that makes this whole state determination much easier? I have 17 water leak sensors (and just moved to ISY994i from an Insteon Hub) and these old programs seem pretty tedious to implement.

Something like:

• IF "Sensor1 is WET ... OR SensorN is WET" THEN "Send Notification for Sensor1 ... AND Send Notification for Sensor1N"

and separately:

• IF "Sensor1 fails [i.e., no heartbeat for more than 25 or 26 hrs] ... OR SensorN fails" THEN "Send Notification for Sensor1 ... AND Send Notification for Sensor1N"
  • 1 month later...

Just curious, what is the purpose of the iStartup variable in the OP's program?  It looks like it's intending to guard against repeated runs of the Leak Startup program...but, I don't see how that could happen, even without the variable? Unless of course the user explicitly/manually does a "Run Then," since the only thing that would trigger "Leak Startup" is an ISY reboot...what's that variable intended to protect against?

Archived