Leak Sensors - A (Suggested) Complete Program Package

belias

On ‎2013‎.‎11‎.‎05 at 7:49 AM, belias said:

4d - The iStartUp variable is initialized to 0 on start-up and this triggers the "Leak Startup" program to run. Without this program, the potential exists for a "dead" leak sensor to go undetected after the ISY starts up.

This is the explanation given, but I agree. It doesn't have a function. No other program calls this program, only the power up call from ISY. It only happens once.

My guess is that it was originally a State variable in an early attempt to create a startup at power up time that failed and it was changed to an integer variable. Testing would not find useless code, and all would still function as planned. It also may have been used for subsequent programs downstream to know status of the programs so that time races don't cause problems. These programs are not shown.

5 minutes ago, metal450 said:

Alright cool, just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.  So I think should be safe to remove, just for cleanliness/simplicity :)

Test, test, test. Simulate, and test again.

Put instructions in your notifications how to reset the damn things.

1 hour ago, metal450 said:

>>Put instructions in your notifications how to reset the damn things.

??

I assume you will notify yourself if you ever have a leak? Add instructions into that note on how to handle the Leak Detectors. They need to be dried and reset, then retested to see if they still work. IIRC the ON state will remain on forever and they cannot send a Wet signal again until reset.

• 2 months later...

Thanks for this program.  It is working well for me except that I get the following at certain points in the message notification:

(Con't)2 of 4

(Con't)3 of 4

(con't)4 of 4

Any idea why this is being added to the message?

Don

Thanks for this program.  It is working well for me except that I get the following at certain points in the message notification:
(Con't)2 of 4
(Con't)3 of 4
(con't)4 of 4
Any idea why this is being added to the message?

Don

Your notification is longer than a standard text message allows, so it is broken up into 4 separate messages.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • 2 weeks later...

I have used the same logic for several Open/Close sensors for doors.  They have the low battery and Heartbeat signal which would really be useless except for this well written script.  However, I have one door sensor that won't reset from the "3" state.  I have changed out the batteries (somewhat corroded) and cleaned the gunk off the spring end.  Nothing on the motherboard (board).  The sensor appears to be working in that I can open the door and I get notified appropriately.  I have tried to manually change the state within the administration controls in the State Variables page back to "1".  And of course have pushed the button on the sensor itself.  In addition, the Low Battery indication within the admin consul appears to be blank so at least that part of the signal isn't getting through.  Additionally, we have been through one or two power outages, so I have restarted the ISY.  Should I conclude that this sensor is sort of dead? Or is there a small trick I am not seeing to reset these?

Thanks

David

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, macjeff said:

Anyone modify this to work with new Alexa routines to announce the water sensor leaks let me know. 

Jeff

Alexa announcements operate from NRs and not programs (like this one) directly. You need to set up a set of NRs, each with a text and then use them from your program.

Create a new state variable (i.e. sLeakSensorAlexa).  Initialize it to 0, and in the "Leak Sensor Problem" and "Leak Sensor Activation" programs, set it to 1.

You could setup the ISY Portal to expose this state variable as a motion sensor, that is "on" if the variable is 1.

Then in the Alexa app, create a routine to make an announcement if the motion sensor is turned on.

You could also have different announcements by using different values, expose it multiple ways in the ISY Portal, and create multiple routines.

First I have been in hospital with pneumonia so I can’t easily test this stuff but very anxious.   

I understand the way to use a variable but I also see you can expose any device to Alexa     So why not just expose each motion sensor and if that is activated say something.   

Or on a different case you could have motion sensor at front door and if activated say welcome home.   

I know this is a little off subject but am I understanding this correctly. I see in current programs using a variable might be the better way but for a simple phrase based on activation of something wouldn’t not using a variable easier?

and please before you attack me if this is a stupid question remember I am on lots of hospital drugs.  LOL 

i have had he ISY for years and love it.  I hit the max links on the PLM so a very large system.  So pretty familiar with this.   

Thanjs to everyone and especially to the guys at UD for coming up with this   

Jeff 

3 hours ago, macjeff said:

First I have been in hospital with pneumonia so I can’t easily test this stuff but very anxious.   

I understand the way to use a variable but I also see you can expose any device to Alexa     So why not just expose each motion sensor and if that is activated say something.   

Or on a different case you could have motion sensor at front door and if activated say welcome home.   

I know this is a little off subject but am I understanding this correctly. I see in current programs using a variable might be the better way but for a simple phrase based on activation of something wouldn’t not using a variable easier?

and please before you attack me if this is a stupid question remember I am on lots of hospital drugs.  LOL 

i have had he ISY for years and love it.  I hit the max links on the PLM so a very large system.  So pretty familiar with this.   

Thanjs to everyone and especially to the guys at UD for coming up with this   

Jeff 

I believe you could set up each leak sensor that way. However, for some people with a bunch of leak sensors (I have 5) that is a bunch of work in the portal & Alexa app. I hate the way the app works, so the more I can avoid it, the better. 

When a leak does occur, I get emails, text messages and push notifications detailing the exact location.  Just having Alexa notify/warn me is sufficient for me. I can then go check my phone/computer for specifics. 

So I have 12 sensors.   So I could have a state variable where 0 is all ok and assign 1-12 to it for the bad sensor.  

So let’s say kitchen sink is number 5 it would assign 5 to the variable and that would trigger Alexa routine for kitchen sink.  Then reset variable to zero.

Correct?

Jeff
55 minutes ago, macjeff said:

So I have 12 sensors.   So I could have a state variable where 0 is all ok and assign 1-12 to it for the bad sensor.  

So let’s say kitchen sink is number 5 it would assign 5 to the variable and that would trigger Alexa routine for kitchen sink.  Then reset variable to zero.

If you want an individual Alexa announcement per sensor, I don't think it even has to be that complicated.

Just expose them in the ISY Portal as a "Motion Sensor".  Then create a routine for each "sensor" in the Alexa app..

• 3 months later...

Thank you Bilias. I am a Newbie with ISY994I and this topic you provided allowed me to easily add my first Leak Sensor or rather the first device to my system.  I appreciate the time you provided us in writing up this example. My test went just as expected. Now on to adding a motion sensor.

?

On 1/17/2017 at 2:08 PM, larryllix said:

I sent a complete package over PM to you when you initially posted about LS monitoring not functioning correctly.

Larry,

Can you please PM me the complete package too.  Thanks for all your help.

Larry

• 2 months later...

Not sure if you guys can help here. I use OpenHab2 for my home automation. I'd very much like to keep all of the code in OpenHab and not have some code running on the ISY and most code running in OpenHab. So I got some leak sensors the other day (4317 rev 2.6). I installed them in the ISY admin console and saw three items for each: Wet, Dry, and Heartbeat. Cool, it has a heartbeat, I thought to myself. But why both a wet and dry item??? But whatever....

Then I found this excellent thread. OK, battery powered, that means we can't poll it. Got it. Has an internal clock so it should send a heartbeat back to the ISY every 24 hours, sweet. I then set up everything in OpenHab. I tested them with some water and I got my email notifications that I also set up. But I am not getting the heartbeats. Right now I have it set up to email me at every heartbeat, just for testing. I get one email right about the time that I first started up each sensor, but then that's it. One heartbeat and then no more. But, if I reboot my ISY, then I get one more heartbeat at that same time as before, but then no heartbeats after that. So, you see, I don't think I have an OpenHab issue, but more an issue of not knowing how the sensors are supposed to work.

So, do I need to reboot my ISY every night to get an proper heartbeat check each day? That seems a little excessive. I was thinking I could plug my ISY into a switchlinc, and write a program in the ISY to cycle the switchlinc each night, but that seemed kind of meta. :)

My heartbeats come every 24 hrs, no ISY reboot needed, for all my 5 leak sensors and 7 door sensors, etc.

Not sure if you guys can help here. I use OpenHab2 for my home automation. I'd very much like to keep all of the code in OpenHab and not have some code running on the ISY and most code running in OpenHab. So I got some leak sensors the other day (4317 rev 2.6). I installed them in the ISY admin console and saw three items for each: Wet, Dry, and Heartbeat. Cool, it has a heartbeat, I thought to myself. But why both a wet and dry item??? But whatever....
Then I found this excellent thread. OK, battery powered, that means we can't poll it. Got it. Has an internal clock so it should send a heartbeat back to the ISY every 24 hours, sweet. I then set up everything in OpenHab. I tested them with some water and I got my email notifications that I also set up. But I am not getting the heartbeats. Right now I have it set up to email me at every heartbeat, just for testing. I get one email right about the time that I first started up each sensor, but then that's it. One heartbeat and then no more. But, if I reboot my ISY, then I get one more heartbeat at that same time as before, but then no heartbeats after that. So, you see, I don't think I have an OpenHab issue, but more an issue of not knowing how the sensors are supposed to work.
So, do I need to reboot my ISY every night to get an proper heartbeat check each day? That seems a little excessive. I was thinking I could plug my ISY into a switchlinc, and write a program in the ISY to cycle the switchlinc each night, but that seemed kind of meta.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Changing subject a little but the posted leak sensor program works.  Do it the way suggested.   You can add to it like I did.   Here is what happened.  

The other day we had a leak under kitchen sink.  A pipe burst.   I added three things to the program.   First, I added Alexa integration so Alexa announces warning there is a leak.   Then I used NodeLink to link to Honeywell Alarm panel.   So the leak caused our house alarm went off and it shut off water off to the house.    Then it emailed the plumber with form email I made authorizing an emergency plumber visit.   

We were home so after hearing Alexa, we went to faucet and manually cut off water    Yes the water in the house was stopped but all the water in the lines was coming out    We did have some damage in ceiling below but otherwise everything is fine and saved major damage   

Jeff

So, do I need to reboot my ISY every night to get an proper heartbeat check each day? That seems a little excessive. I was thinking I could plug my ISY into a switchlinc, and write a program in the ISY to cycle the switchlinc each night, but that seemed kind of meta.
ISY cannot cycle itself. Once off what would turn it back on?

Heartbeats for LDs do not reset themselves. They just transmit a signal each 24 hours. If you detect anything that is not 99999 you should trigger your program each day.

LDs need to be manually reset with the button on them after triggering or they will not trigger again.

Sent using Tapatalk

Archived