Anonymous hacked/attacked ISY

heyfrank

giesen,

3-4 seconds for 2048 bit. Going to Paypal takes longer than 3-4 seconds.

With kind regards,

Michel

Michel,

The problem is I might run eKeypad, wait 4 seconds, then switch to another app, do something, then switch back and I have to wait another 4 seconds. Or the screen on my phone times out then I have to wait 4 seconds again. Not a great user experience. Now the blame is not entirely on UDI, since eKeypad doesn't support session persistence, but the result is the same. Is 5.0 expected to have a new API that is proxyable?

Interesting comments, thanks. As a novice pi user, what are the precautions needed to protect the pi from the internet? Limit access to specific ports via firewall?

Yes, that and implementing something like fail2ban which watches your log files and will block any IPs that unsuccessfully attempt to authenticate a number of times. And change your default passwords.

I'll try to summarize my suggestion, but I'd like to see

1) multiple users, providing distinct access levels, I mean,

- admin or full access

- user access - let you turn on/off devices or programs but not add devices or programs, etc

- interface - for rest connections with limited access. And you may restrict the source ip.

- not sure where should allocate mobilinc access (for instance)

2) timeout configuration for wrong password, notifications would be great also.

3) for the highest level of users, possibility to adopt OTP (on time password) such the Google authentication, Dropbox for instance let you utilize googles software to generate the OTP.

In this scenario, you keep REST, do not loose mobilinc access and increase the protection.

Knowing that security does not get along with simplicity .....

MF_Bra

Yes, that and implementing something like fail2ban which watches your log files and will block any IPs that unsuccessfully attempt to authenticate a number of times. And change your default passwords.

I run an Asterisk PBX at home - and I used to get brute force attacks against the SIP stack weekly. I've had enormous success using fail2ban to shut this stuff down pronto. Make sure you whitelist your own machines though!

Google's authentication is relatively trivial to implement in a disconnected system - I've done it myself in tcl (F5 iRule).

The only impediment would be allowing products like Mobilinc to continue connecting. Separate accounts would be one answer - but API keys would be FANTASTIC for things like the IFTTT Maker channel so we don't have to give away privileged credentials or deal with authorization headers at all.

Google's authentication is relatively trivial to implement in a disconnected system - I've done it myself in tcl (F5 iRule).

The only impediment would be allowing products like Mobilinc to continue connecting. Separate accounts would be one answer - but API keys would be FANTASTIC for things like the IFTTT Maker channel so we don't have to give away privileged credentials or deal with authorization headers at all.

Yes, but been easy to implement, why not consider one "seed" of the OTP inside mobilinc also? It could send the fixed password and also the OTP. If someone sniffs that traffic should hijack your connection only during that session... Hardware to decrypt the https in a correct time-frame to still have the session open.

If someone implement this to target someone ISY, should be a POVHI "person of VERY HIGH INTEREST", and in that case, nothing will really protect you...

MF_Bra

I currently proxy access to the REST and SOAP interfaces, and this works well.

However, SOAP subscriptions fail due to the nature of the protocol. This means the admin console and apps like Mobilinc don't work well at all thru the proxy.

Finally, I don't yet have websocket subscriptions working thru the proxy, but that's due to lack of time... I know its possible.

For the SOAP ones, its because the ISY opens a socket back to the caller - and when you come thru a proxy the caller appears to be the proxy itself. So the callback never makes it to the client. Even if it did work - it would make the point of an SSL proxy somewhat redundant.

For webservices, there is a proxy module I need to install to handle webservices. I just have not installed and configured it (yet).

I know io_guy has now converted all of his apps over to the websocket interface. Has the admin console moved yet? Or is this still using the older subscription method? If the latter - are there plans to change - or are you still waiting for a half decent websocket library for Java that supports basic authentication?

Hi MWareman

Thank you. No Admin Console has not moved to Websockets and I doubt it would as we are preparing (or hoping) to migrate to HTML5 and it would be a waste. I just wished we had more resources to make this move a little quicker.

I think if clients such as ekeypad move to Websockets it would make life much easier for us all.

With kind regards,

Michel

Hi MWareman

Thank you. No Admin Console has not moved to Websockets and I doubt it would as we are preparing (or hoping) to migrate to HTML5 and it would be a waste. I just wished we had more resources to make this move a little quicker.

I think if clients such as ekeypad move to Websockets it would make life much easier for us all.

With kind regards,

Michel

Agreed! I do agree with your direction - an HTML5 admin UI is *definitely* the way to go!

Agreed! I do agree with your direction - an HTML5 admin UI is *definitely* the way to go!

I gather from this statement all of use could look forward to retiring the Java interface? If so, please consider incorporating this feature in the Kick Starter campaign. For that virtual node project, to help finance and provide a seat for a contract developer. 

Yeah I didn't mean actually pull the API, but publish a notice in the release notes that's it has been deprecated and will be removed at some point in the future.

Developers will have time to move their apps to the new APIs and new developers hopefully won't write something new using the deprecated API

Archived