UD developed PLM

raymondh

• 1 month later...

Any update on the status of the development of UDI's PLM ?

I had to replace another SH 2413S PLM last week for another client. That makes 5 PLM failures, just since March...all of which failed right around the 2 year point following original installation. And SH has been almost completely unsympathetic...out of warranty, too bad.

We really need an alternative!

Lee Fleishman

I would be happy to help test prototypes.

Seems like the ones from SH are so consistent at burning up 1 month past warranty that it might be worth plugging it into 240v one month before warranty expires. . . .just to slightly hasten the inevitable.

My original 2412s lasted quite a long time and in fact never burned out.  I only replaced it because the 2413s had new features.  Maybe I should have kept the 2412s, at least it had the feature of not burning up.

I would be happy to help test prototypes.

Seems like the ones from SH are so consistent at burning up 1 month past warranty that it might be worth plugging it into 240v one month before warranty expires. . . .just to slightly hasten the inevitable.

My original 2412s lasted quite a long time and in fact never burned out.  I only replaced it because the 2413s had new features.  Maybe I should have kept the 2412s, at least it had the feature of not burning up.

LOL!  :mrgreen:  I keep begging SH to bring back the 7 year extended warranty. Given some of the failure rates in previous generation devices along with bad firmware affecting other related Insteon devices.

I can see that was impacting their bottom line.

I too would like to Beta test a UDI PLM when its available! 

I replaced the four capacitors on the low voltage side of the power supply. With a good quality low ESR type capacitor.

I feel it was the two directly on the unregulated +12 volts supply as the voltage was very low and went up and down as it warmed up.

The other two where on small linear regulators and probably didn't have to be Low ESR.

I temporarily jumped the F1 on the serial daughter card {like the old 2412S} so I could read the unregulated +12 volts and let it run cover On.

Voltage was steady for two weeks of tests and I did use it for some HouleLinc tests. Also tested it with DockLight Scripting and BusyRats PLM Test program. Was not stressed with lots of duties.

Now in the box with F1 removed as a tentative spare if needed.

I replaced the four capacitors on the low voltage side of the power supply. With a good quality low ESR type capacitor.

I feel it was the two directly on the unregulated +12 volts supply as the voltage was very low and went up and down as it warmed up.

The other two where on small linear regulators and probably didn't have to be Low ESR.

I temporarily jumped the F1 on the serial daughter card {like the old 2412S} so I could read the unregulated +12 volts and let it run cover On.

Voltage was steady for two weeks of tests and I did use it for some HouleLinc tests. Also tested it with DockLight Scripting and BusyRats PLM Test program. Was not stressed with lots of duties.

Too bad you didn't consider the replacement as a spare. I take it you consider it a "fix" then?

Do you feel all caps replaced were necessary or was it more like, "While I am here..."?  I get the impression the two smaller caps had no indications that you could logic out?

Thanks!

Thanks!

I replaced the four because Samcon and Fujicon brands are both on the list of "Crap Caps" on the Bad caps forums.

I would have done the YIHCON high voltage side cap if I could have found one easily.

I kept the new one in service as it had later firmware and if it dies in less than two years Smarhome can replace it.

I consider it OK to keep as a spare but not tested enough to say 100% fixed.

I replaced the four because Samcon and Fujicon brands are both on the list of "Crap Caps" on the Bad caps forums.

I would have done the YIHCON high voltage side cap if I could have found one easily.

I kept the new one in service as it had later firmware and if it dies in less than two years Smarhome can replace it.

I consider it OK to keep as a spare but not tested enough to say 100% fixed.

That all  makes sense.  I had to laugh that there is actually a "Bad caps forum". :-)

I dealt with some watt transducers that, at after 15 years of service, the PS caps went. Strange then seven other same vintage units blew within a month of the first one.

Thanks!

I am looking forward to a high quality PLM from UD as I'm tired of replacing mine every 2 years.

Meanwhile, I am looking for someone to donate a dead 2413S PLM (v 1.5).  I know there are plenty of bad units.  I have figured out how to repair mine as I got tired of paying for a new one every few years.  My purpose is to see if the power supply failures in these units is all the same failure mode as I suspect it will be.  I ordered a few extra parts when I repaired mine and would like to see if I indeed found the root cause.  If the LED still lights on your unit then it probably doesn't have the same failure mode as mine did.

See my earlier entries to this thread and from BLH on the Smarthome Forums.

I replaced all four filter caps in the low voltage side of the power supply with good low ESR caps.

The low {~7 volts that drifted as it was On over time} 12 volt unregulated became rock steady again. At around its normal 19.5 volts.

The Green Status LED was also now acting correctly.

Mine was a hardware 1.5.

The earlier hardware versions have one of the two 12 volt filter caps and the small coil added as a rework. Hanging up in the air. Tack soldered to the PCB with a Blue Flywire connected to the back. I have not pulled the PCB on an old one but suspect there maybe a cut run or two to accommodate the rework.

The same base board is in the hardware version 2.? 2443 Access Point. I am surprised we have not see more of them with issues.

I read and agree with everything in your previous posts on the forums.  My goal is to simply go through the verification process with a few units to gain confidence that this is the solution.  I also replaced the high voltage capacitor on the front end with a high quality capacitor.  I don't think this unit will fail again due to bad caps.

Of course, I won't have 100% confidence until I run one for 3+ years. :)

Do you have a BOM you can post for us? 

Hi Lee,

Yes, design is 100% complete. We are making a few prototypes as we speak.

With kind regards,

Michel

Hello Michel,

Excellent news! Very glad to hear it.

I would be very pleased (more accurately ecstatic) to offer my own home system (90 devices), plus all the time & effort necessary, as a beta test site.

At the very least, I want to purchase one just as soon as they are released for sale. 

Thanks for your awesome support and commitment to continuous improvement.

Lee Fleishman

INControl Home Automation

Thousand Oaks, CA

Hi All

I am concerned what some folks are expecting with the UDI PLM.   It will certainly be more physically reliable, with a good power supply and not losing the link database when the power supply begins to fail.  All really good things!

The UDI PLM will not make a difference in how the Insteon powerline/RF function.  Of course a failing power supply could impact events but while the SmartLabs PLM power supply works the UDI PLM and the SmartLabs PLM will produce the same results.  Does not matter if there are 5 Insteon devices or 100.  The UDI PLM and the SmartLabs PLM work the same as SmartLabs manufacturers the PLM chip and related PLM firmware.  

For better or worse ONLY SmartLabs controls how the Insteon network operates as they produce ALL PLM chips and they produce ALL of the PLM firmware.   Smartenit (Simplehomenet) has been selling Insteon devices for many years.  All of them use SmartLabs PLMs and SmartLabs PLM firmware.  SmartLabs does not license any manufacturer to produce any device that directly interfaces with the powerline and/or RF.

The UDI PLM will be a great product because it will be much more physically reliable.   It cannot change what happens on the Insteon powerline/RF day to day as that is controlled by the SmartLabs PLM chip and SmartLabs PLM firmware. 

Archived