Power Supply Sequencing Delay Needed after Outage

sanders2222

I am looking for a solution that will delay turning on my ISY when power is restored after an outage.  My problem is that if the ISY boots up before the modem has booted up, a connection from the outside cannot be made.  This requires some groveling on my part, to get my neighbor over there to unplug the ISY, then reconnect it to re-establish communications.

If I had a device that had a built in timer, say after 60 seconds or so, that could supply 12VDC to the ISY, I wouldn't need to grovel so much!  LOL

This delayed start-up should be enough to re-establish the IP addresses from the modem to the ISY (if that is what is happening).  Does anyone know if there is such a device?  OR is my problem something else entirely?  OR should just plug the modem into an UPS to solve my problem?

I have the switch Xathros mentions too to make sure all my devices power up in sequence, not just ISY. ISP modem, router, VoIP router, ISY, etc. AND have the thing on a UPS. It can also autoping to restart ISY if it hangs (only kicked in once in the 2 yrs I've had the switch) and to restart a VPN router I had that would not keep the VPN up more than a few days. Although I replaced the router, it was a handy workaround until I could find something I wanted (ended up splurging for a sonicwall tz105). I put some icons on my/my wife's desktops that will restart our VoIP router and another for the whole network (in sequence) using curl to send http commands to switch. I also use curl in my windows server's startup and shutdown scripts to power on/off an external hard drive connected to it. Super cool product.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hello everyone,

If you are using File | Enable Internet Access for remote access, ISY retries creating the port forwarding rules three times so I don't really see a problem unless it takes a LONG time for the modem to boot.

A better approach is to manually create port forwarding rules in the router and make sure ISY either has a static address or on DHCP reservation. This way, the settings are stored in the router and not subject to changes after outage.

With kind regards,

Michel

Thanks for chiming in Michel.  I like your better approach, but someone would have to walk me through that process. 

I'm also thinking my problem be because the ISP modem & router turn on at the same time.  It seems if the two devices boot up together, that could cause a delay or partial connection to other devices.  A UPS for the modem and router could resolve this issue.

I do receive messages from the ISY (now that power is restored) but I can't access the ISY or my IP cameras remotely.  This happens every time there is a power outage, and of course, it always happens while we're away.  And without a reset, I think my ISY is running the house as though we are there (e.g. lighting and HVAC settings are higher than should be).

Maybe I need to create an ISY program that checks doorway activity throughout the day and if none, defaults settings to 'vacation' mode.  However, without remote access, this will have to wait until I get home (in a couple weeks).

Hi sanders2222,

If you create manual port forwarding rules in your router for ISY as well as your cameras, then you won't have any of these issues UNLESS the external IP address changes. And, even then, you can use a Dynamic DNS service (supported by your router) such that IPs always get mapped to a name. For instance, my DLink router has a free service for dlinkddns.com which I use and I have been very happy with it.

With kind regards,

Michel

Archived