Introducing ISYPortal

Michel Kohanim

Michel,

I am LOL,  I just spent the last 5 minutes wondering what happened as the service name changed from medicare to BGordon.

Thank You,  That is what I call "Excellent Service"

My ISY has well over 200 devices when scenes and programs are counted. 

When I tell IZZY to refresh devices, I get a reply  "this is taking longer  than expected"  I keep saying yes and eventually after 4 or 5 iterations it tells me it has found 251 devices! Is there somewhere I can find out what it found?

When I tell Izzy  it to turn off the Desk lights the reply is "I could not find device Desk", Same for office lights or hall lights.

As you probably know I have been doing a lot of work with The HUE emulator.  That system has no such issues, and I suspect it is because the HUE Device is part of the connected home.  

My biggest problem (remember I am old) is remembering what I call things. I have established the convention "<Name> lights" for all my lighting devices.  e.g. Office Lights, Hall Lights, Master Bedroom Lights etc.

For fans I use programs. I use a program names such Office Fan Medium, Office fan Low, Office Fan High, Office Man Off.   Generally of the form <room> Fan <speed>.  All work flawlessly.

I can also say such things as <device Name> Off or <device name> On as in Desk Light Off or Desk Lights On.  This also appears to work well.

For Appliance like devices (Hot Water Circulator, Shop Dust Collector, Kitchen Power Strip, etc) .   just use Turn On or Turn Off. Most of these are controlled by Insteon micro modules. This works quite well.

I am sure your Connected Home product will work as well.

Can someone point me to instructions on how to use the ISY portal to access the ISY from outside my home?  

Is IZZY capable of replying with the current temperature value of a zwave Thermostat, and if so  . . . "Alexa ask Izzy the temperature of the Master Bedroom thermostat". Similarly for current mode, fan mode, and set points?

Can I set these values yet or perhaps in the future? Not crrtical as I have learned that my home is most comfortable when I leave the HVAC system alone

Can someone point me to instructions on how to use the ISY portal to access the ISY from outside my home?  

Is IZZY capable of replying with the current temperature value of a zwave Thermostat, and if so  . . . "Alexa ask Izzy the temperature of the Master Bedroom thermostat". Similarly for current mode, fan mode, and set points?

Can I set these values yet or perhaps in the future? Not crrtical as I have learned that my home is most comfortable when I leave the HVAC system alone

It is capable of:

Getting the temp

Get/Set the mode

Get/Set the setpoint

Fan mode is not implemented.

Benoit.

• 2 weeks later...

Is there a free trial period available? I had been port forwarding up until now but have had intermittent connection problems recently.

I signed up for the free ML Connect 30 day trial. Seems pretty fast but the ISY Portal would be a better value. Could I expect the same

connection speed as MLC?

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Xathros,

Yes, of course. Please go to the portal and in the drop down next to ISY choose ISY Information. You will see Admin Console URL listed there. Just copy/paste that into ISY Finder. The only difference is that you need to use your Portal's credentials to log into your ISY.

With kind regards,

Michel

Hi

1) I am having difficulty gaining remote access to the Admin Console. I see the "ISY Information" but when I paste that into a browser it is now working.  How to I invoke the "ISY Finder"   

2) Also, If I wanted to, how would I access the admin console other than through the portal, ie if I did not buy the portal or for some reason prefer to access "conventionally"  I assume this involves port forwarding.  What port and what web address do I want to access?

Thanks

Thanks

Hi

1) I am having difficulty gaining remote access to the Admin Console. I see the "ISY Information" but when I paste that into a browser it is now working.  How to I invoke the "ISY Finder"   

2) Also, If I wanted to, how would I access the admin console other than through the portal, ie if I did not buy the portal or for some reason prefer to access "conventionally"  I assume this involves port forwarding.  What port and what web address do I want to access?

Thanks

Thanks

1) You paste the Admin Console URL from the ISY Portal into an entry in the ISY Finder. Use the add button in the finder, and paste it there.  When you are asked to login in to the admin console using the portal, use your ISY Portal email account as the user and and ISY Portal password.

2) You need to set your router's firewall up to map a port number that you pick to access your router. There are directions in the manual / wiki for setting up remote access. You need to pick a port number between 1000 and 65000. You can use your homes internet address if your ISP doesn't change it, other wise DynDns or similar services will need to be used to create a domain name you can use. My Asus router provides a service in the router for creating the dns name.

Paul

couple more methods of remote access:

1) VPN server - some routers support creating a VPN server which you can use to remotely VPN into your home network and access ISY just like you sitting next to it.

2) SSH forwarding - if you have something at home that can do SSH Server (like a Raspberry Pi) - you can SSH to it remotely and have it forward the port to ISY just for the duration of the SSH session. That way your traffic is encrypted. For example - I can't VPN from work, but I can do SSH and access ISY that way.

Thanks Paul and xKing.  I appreciate your info!

I now understand #1, ie how to use ISY finder to the portal etc.  I have two ISYs as separate locations and this method works well.  One can even have two instances open so work on both admin consoles at the same time.  Handy!

I have not set up traditionally via port forwarding, but understand the process.

As to VPN, yes my needs for this go beyond the ISY.  I have just started to look into a VPN router or VPN server.  My two locations are residential, so limited traffic.  I have Netgear WNDR4300 and 5400 routers, which I believe dont offer VPN capabilities, but can pass VPN through.  I am considering a custom ROM as a possibility for VPN router capability. I have also begun to read of making a RPi VNP server.  Sounds fairly straight forward.  Since I have a RPi to assist my ISY (for ISYHelper etc apps) I could give them a dual purpose as VPN server.  Another chapter about to unfold...

Thanks!!

Thanks Paul and xKing.  I appreciate your info!

I now understand #1, ie how to use ISY finder to the portal etc.  I have two ISYs as separate locations and this method works well.  One can even have two instances open so work on both admin consoles at the same time.  Handy!

I have not set up traditionally via port forwarding, but understand the process.

As to VPN, yes my needs for this go beyond the ISY.  I have just started to look into a VPN router or VPN server.  My two locations are residential, so limited traffic.  I have Netgear WNDR4300 and 5400 routers, which I believe dont offer VPN capabilities, but can pass VPN through.  I am considering a custom ROM as a possibility for VPN router capability. I have also begun to read of making a RPi VNP server.  Sounds fairly straight forward.  Since I have a RPi to assist my ISY (for ISYHelper etc apps) I could give them a dual purpose as VPN server.  Another chapter about to unfold...

Thanks!!

I'm really liking the portal now that I'm traveling again and use it daily. I'm able to run the admin console, as well as my HAD pages.. no ports opened, to the outside.

I have VPN capability on my asus router. I used it for a while before I had the portal. The extra advantage of the VPN is accessing other LAN hosts, but the reality is I haven't needed to that.

Paul

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all, is there a way to have both the ISY portal module and the mobilinc portal module working?

​I purchased the ISY portal to be able to remote access from my PC when I am away... I use the mobilinc app on my home tablets ...

Once I installed the ISY portal mod. it removed the mobilinc.

Please advise.

​Regards,
S

Hi all, is there a way to have both the ISY portal module and the mobilinc portal module working?

​I purchased the ISY portal to be able to remote access from my PC when I am away... I use the mobilinc app on my home tablets ...

Once I installed the ISY portal mod. it removed the mobilinc.

Please advise.

​Regards,

S

No, not currently. This is detailed on the purchase page for the ISY portal.

You can configure Mobilinc app on your mobile device to talk with the ISY Portal though. Configure an ISY profile, HTTPS, my.ISY.io and use your portal username and password. Leave the HTTP URL blank. Works for many of us.

Michael.

No, not currently. This is detailed on the purchase page for the ISY portal.

You can configure Mobilinc app on your mobile device to talk with the ISY Portal though. Configure an ISY profile, HTTPS, my.ISY.io and use your portal username and password. Leave the HTTP URL blank. Works for many of us.

Michael.

Thanks Michael, I have the ISY portal profile.. I am a little confused on the rest.. can you walk through with a little more detail?

Archived