replacing replacing 2 devices in same link group, used replace with but both show "!"

nowandthen

A friend needed older lamplincs as he still uses some x-10. Newer lamplincs do not support X-10. So I swapped him for 2 of my older, slightly used lamplincs.

I thought, oh this is easy, I've replaced with before. WRONG!

I plugged in the first new module and used replace with. All linked devices are updated except for the other "new" one in the group. Obviously (now, duh) the device it is trying to "replace with" is no longer there. Likewise for the other new lamplinc.

Now both have an exclamation point next to them. And cannot resolve the links.

Any way to resolve this? Should I go get one of them back and plug it back in to resolve this? He hasn't used them yet.

For the sake of a situation where 2 in a group die (surge, etc), what is the solution to this kind of situation? Is there a way to "replace with" when 2 or more in a group die?

Any tips are greatly appreciated.

You can't just plug in a new device and use "replace with." The new device must be added to the ISY first, then the old device is replaced with the new device. After the replacement, the "old" name is used for the new device. It will appear identical to the original (old) device. The only clue is that the Insteon ID is that of the new device.

You can't just plug in a new device and use "replace with." The new device must be added to the ISY first, then the old device is replaced with the new device. After the replacement, the "old" name is used for the new device. It will appear identical to the original (old) device. The only clue is that the Insteon ID is that of the new device.

Hi Stu,

Sorry, I failed to mention that I did add the new devices. I added one first. The device showed up in the top level of the tree, with Insteon address. I clicked on it and selected replace with. When I realized the problem I added the second new device, but obviously that does nothing as each device is now looking for a device that is no longer there.

The problem is I changed out 2 devices in the same group (they were linked together). But the second replaced device obviously has a new Insteon address. Now the first one is trying to find the original 2nd device but it is no longer there. I can't "replace with" on the second device because it can't find the original first device (it too was replaced at the same time).

I have 2 replaced devices linked together but they can resolve themselves because each is looking for the other original, which is no longer there.

Put simply, I hope, how does one change 2 devices that fail at the same time that were linked together?

Hope this makes sense.

The procedure is to replace one device at a time, wait until all the links are written and then replace the second device. I don't know what the result is if you attempt to replaced the second device before the first has completed. But, if the second device is gone, then add the replacement and recreate the links/scenes. You can't replace a device that's not there.

" I added one first. The device showed up in the top level of the tree, with Insteon address. I clicked on it and selected replace with"

The "Replace with" is done against the old device, not the new one.    The new device is identified later in the "Replace with" processing.   The old device Insteon address is not sent any commands as it could no longer exist or able to respond to commands.  When the "Replace with" processing is done the Admin Console terminates.  When the Admin Console is restarted the old device name is still there but with the Insteon address of the new device.  The new device no longer exists, it is automatically deleted. 

Thanks Lee,

That does make sense. I have done it backwards in the past with success. Dumb luck maybe. Next time I will click on the dead/gone device and use replace with. Luckily my friend has not reprogrammed the modules we traded so I can get them back temporarily and hopefully get things squared away..

Archived