Programs not running, Scene Tests failing

My system crashed a few days ago.  It probably started as a PLM failing and then compounded by my efforts to fix before realizing that the problem was a failed PLM.  In any case I ended up with red exclamations in front of every device.

I did the following:

1. Installed a new PLM (had one on hand).  3rd PLM in 4 years.

2. Restored PLM.

3. Complete restore of every device.  Some devices took several attempts.  Now all devices appear to be working from the dashboard. 

4. Updated to newest version of software.

I've since noticed that most of my programs do not work.  None of the programs have been altered.  A couple work, but no particular rhyme or reason that I can figure.  I've tried running the "then" parts of programs that don't work but to no avail.  As I said above, individual devices in scenes and programs work from the dashboard but not in their programs.

I've tried testing some of the scenes but they all fail, i.e., all the devices in the scenes fail; although, the individuals devices respond to dashboard "on" & "off."

Any thoughts or suggestions.

Thanks,

I may have just figured out the rhyme or reason why some programs run and others don't.  It appears that programs that don't involve a scene but only involve an individual device(s) run successfully.  Programs that involve scenes fail.

Does that ring any bells?

Thanks.

I may have just figured out the rhyme or reason why some programs run and others don't.  It appears that programs that don't involve a scene but only involve an individual device(s) run successfully.  Programs that involve scenes fail.

Does that ring any bells?

Thanks.

Your scenes reside in the PLM.

Did you delete your old PLM from the ISY prior to installing the new one?  If so that could be your problem.

What firmware and UI are you currently running?

1.  Delete PLM.  Is that the command for "Delete PLM" in the "fILE" drop-down menu?  I did not do that.  I just looked at it and it sounds drastic: to "...permanently remove your ISY from your Insteon Network."  Is that what I want to do.  I guess I would then restore the system to my most recent ISY backup PRE_CRASH and not to the backup that I've done since updating to the new Firmware version.

2.  My Firmware version and UI are identical:  Insteon_UD994 v.4.3.26.

3.  My PRE-CRASH firmware version was v.4.0.5.

Should I take the following steps:

1.  Delete PLM

2.  Restore ISY using PRE-CRASH Backup with firmware version 4.0.5

3.  Restore Devices

4.  Upgrade to firmware version 4.3.26.

Thanks for your help.

Do not, do not delete the PLM. Try Restore Modem and Restore Devices, in that order. What is the result? It will take a while if you have a lot of devices.

I think I've done both of those things several times already.

1.  I've definitely "Restore(d) the PLM" several times.

2.  After my PLM was restored, the system seemed to automatically restore all devices from Red Exclamation to operative condition.  It took a couple of hours.  For some of them I had to do a manual "Restore Device" with a right click on each device that hadn't returned to operative condition.  It took a few hours altogether.

3.  It might be fair to say that I haven't specifically "Restore(d) Devices" from the FILE drop-down menu.

Does the "Restore Devices" command restore scenes?  I guess I haven't done that.

Thanks

If your PLM is near two years of use or older, then it's likely that it is failing or has failed. Scenes do not require the PLM unless you run the scenes from the ISY. Program do require that the PLM be functional. There are instructions for repairing the PLM if you have soldering skills. Otherwise a new PLM is on the horizon for you.

I've already installed a new PLM after this crash (see my original message).  My 3rd PLM in 48 months.  Per my original message above, when my system crashed I did the following:

1. Installed a new PLM (had one on hand).  3rd PLM in 4 years.

2. Restored PLM.

3. Complete restore of every device.  Some devices took several attempts.  Now all devices appear to be working from the dashboard. 

4. Updated to newest version of software.

I've since noticed that most of my programs do not work.  None of the programs have been altered.  A couple work, but no particular rhyme or reason that I can figure.  I've tried running the "then" parts of programs that don't work but to no avail.  As I said above, individual devices in scenes and programs work from the dashboard but not in their programs.

I've tried testing some of the scenes but they all fail, i.e., all the devices in the scenes fail; although, the individuals devices respond to dashboard "on" & "off."

Thanks.

Rodmichael, it sounds like there's a problem with the PLM

What is the model and firmware version of the PLM?

Did you power cycle the ISY after replacing the PLM, if not remove power from the ISY for about 10 seconds. 

From the admin console click on tools - diagnostics - show PLM links tables. 

How many links do you have? 

The bad news is that it's more than likely that you PLM has failed. The good news is that your ISY scenes and programs are OK. Now's a good time to make another backup.

3.  PLM Links = 12

Thanks.

There lies your problem. Unless you only have a couple of devices your restore modem is incomplete.

Being that you did a firmware upgrade from 4.05 to 4.3.26 post crash I'm not sure which route you should take in order to restore the modem.

Perhaps someone can chime in with suggestions.

Stu, it's a new PLM so it sounds like the modem may have been deleted before the replacement and restore

I installed the PLM 2 days ago.  The LED is green.  When I check PLM status it returns "24.1C.E1, v9B / Connected."  What is the basis for postulating that it has failed?

Thanks

It appears that the data currently stored in the ISY is incomplete. Approximately how many devices and scenes do you have?

There lies your problem. Unless you only have a couple of devices your restore modem is incomplete.

Being that you did a firmware upgrade from 4.05 to 4.3.26 post crash I'm not sure which route you should take in order to restore the modem.

Perhaps someone can chime in with suggestions.

Stu, it's a new PLM so it sounds like the modem may have been deleted before the replacement and restore

I have over 50 devices.  I thought the number of links was a bit light (no pun intended).

I have ordered another PLM replacement, presumably for 2 years from today.  SOME QUESTIONS:

1.  Would it work to install that PLM, when it gets here, as a replacement for the one I installed a couple of days ago.  Sort of start over.

2.  Or do I now have an incomplete PLM record in the ISY?  Is the PLM address record a part of the system backup?

3.  Can't I just restore my system with a PRE-CRASH ISY Backup (v4.0.5).

4.  Or am I stuck with firmware version 4.3.26 now that I've installed it?

Thanks

I have over 50 devices.  I thought the number of links was a bit light (no pun intended).

I have ordered another PLM replacement, presumably for 2 years from today.  SOME QUESTIONS:

1.  Would it work to install that PLM, when it gets here, as a replacement for the one I installed a couple of days ago.  Sort of start over.

2.  Or do I now have an incomplete PLM record in the ISY?  Is the PLM address record a part of the system backup?

3.  Can't I just restore my system with a PRE-CRASH ISY Backup (v4.0.5).

4.  Or am I stuck with firmware version 4.3.26 now that I've installed it?

Thanks

Normally one would just restore a current ISY backup then do a restore modem, but being that you up graded the firmware post crash I'm not sure what route you should take.

If you're able to control devices from the ISY then your new modem is most likely OK.

In the meantime you can try a factory reset on the PLM then a restore modem to see if that helps. Be sure to power down the ISY for about 10 seconds after you do a reset on the modem.

The reason the older modems failed was due to bad capacitors. Insteon has upgraded the capacitors so you shouldn't have to worry about another failure anytime soon, if ever.

I'm beginning to believe that the best solution might be to delete the PLM I have and then do a restore ISY and restore the PLM and all devices.  This will obviously take a few hours.  But I still have SOME QUESTIONS if I take that route:

1.  Can I restore with a backup based on Firmware v4.0.5 even though I've updated the ISY with Firmware v4.3.26?

2.  What is the sequence of steps?

a.  Delete PLM

b.  Restore ISY (with both ISY and PLM powered on)

c.  Restore PLM

d.  Restore Devices

e.  Update Firmware

Thanks.

Normally one would just restore a current ISY backup then do a restore modem, but being that you up graded the firmware post crash I'm not sure what route you should take.

If you're able to control devices from the ISY then your new modem is most likely OK.

In the meantime you can try a factory reset on the PLM then a restore modem to see if that helps. Be sure to power down the ISY for about 10 seconds after you do a reset on the modem.

1.  How do you do a "factory reset" of the PLM?  Is that the "Set" button on the side?

2.  Is there a way to do a retrograde firmware installation?

Thanks.

1.  How do you do a "factory reset" of the PLM?  Is that the "Set" button on the side?

2.  Is there a way to do a retrograde firmware installation?

Thanks.

DO NOT DO A DELETE MODEM

To reset PowerLinc Modem to its original factory settings, unplug from wall outlet and wait 10 seconds. Press and hold Set button; while continuing to press and hold, plug back in. A long beep will sound; continue holding Set button until beep stops, then release.

After several seconds, status LED will turn on to indicate reset is complete

Thanks, I had already decided to look at the Manual (imagine that).  Got it reset according to the manual.  I did a "Restore Modem" and it took about 20 seconds.  Still showing just 12 links.  I've tried to do the factory reset about 3x now.  Same result.

So I guess you don't know about the firmware issues.  Is there a place (technical support kind of place) to go to get some of those answers?  Or do I just have to hope that someone with the appropriate knowledge base is looking in?  Can a forum moderator help me get someplace?

I appreciate the emphasis on the DO NOT Delete Modem.

Thanks.

Thanks, I had already decided to look at the Manual (imagine that).  Got it reset according to the manual.  I did a "Restore Modem" and it took about 20 seconds.  Still showing just 12 links.  I've tried to do the factory reset about 3x now.  Same result.

So I guess you don't know about the firmware issues.  Is there a place (technical support kind of place) to go to get some of those answers?  Or do I just have to hope that someone with the appropriate knowledge base is looking in?  Can a forum moderator help me get someplace?

I appreciate the emphasis on the DO NOT Delete Modem.

Thanks.

If a forum member doesn't have a solution you can submit a support ticket to UDI at  http://www.universal-devices.com/contact-support

They are very quick to respond.

I installed the PLM 2 days ago.  The LED is green.  When I check PLM status it returns "24.1C.E1, v9B / Connected."  What is the basis for postulating that it has failed?

Thanks

You posted v. 1B (#10). v. 9B is more up-to-date.

Hi rodmichael,

I do not think your PLM is bad. I think at some point in time someone did a File | Delete Modem. The reason you only get 12 links in the PLM is because ISY thinks others do not need a link.

A simple test to prove my hypothesis: remove one of the devices with which you have problems from ISY. Link it back and then physically turn it on/off. If the status is updated in the Admin Console, the PLM is OK.

If the above works, and IF AND ONLY IF you have older backups from before replacing the PLM, I suggest:

1. File | Restore ISY

2. File | Restore Devices (this will restore the PLM as well)

With kind regards,

Michel

I got in touch with Tech Support at UD.  Michael Kohanim instructed me to restore the ISY with a PRE-CRASH backup and then to reattach the new PLM and RESTORE MODEM.  A lot of what he said matched what Techman had told me.

1.  The ISY restore went fine.  I used a backup under Firmware version 4.0.5.  It went fine; although the Firmware version at the Admin Console stayed at 4.3.26.

2.  I did a factory reset of the new PLM and then reattached it to the ISY and restored power to the ISY.

3.  I did a RESTORE MODEM.  Took about 15 seconds.

My system and devices appear OK.  However, scenes and programs still fail.

Still working on it.

Techman, thanks for your help last night.

Based on the number of devices you have installed the restore modem should have taken longer than 15 seconds. Either the backup that you used is incomplete or the restore process didn't work.

When you're in the admin console of the ISY do you see all the programs and scenes that are supposed to be there?

Archived