Smartenit EZIO8SA not reporting input status update until poll!

pikach

Hi, I have a simple dry contact connected to a door to send me a text when door opens. Its hooked up to the ground on the input block and input - then the input + is connected the 12v + port on same block.

My issue is that when the door opens I dont see it update the ISY994 nor on my mobilinc, it only shows up on mobilinc when I do a refresh or on ISY when I do a query, therfore I get no text of changes.

I only used this for outputs and never for inputs, therfore I dont know if theres something wrong with it or not, it always worked well for outputs.

Am I missing something?

Right click on first Output node, select Restore Device.   This will rebuild the EZIO8SA link database.

EDIT: my previous response to connecting dry contact was wrong.  Connect I1+ to +12V.  The dry contact is connected between GND and I1-.

Fron the EZIO8SA Quick Start Guide

If isolation is not required, these inputs can easily be
connected to “dry” contact closures such as those from
external relays, proximity detectors or door closure
sensors. In this case, connect the positive (I1+ or I2+)
terminal to the +12V terminal, and the contact closure
between the negative (I1- or I2-) terminal and the GND terminal.

EDIT: my previous response to connecting dry contact was wrong.  Connect I1+ to +12V.  The dry contact is connected between GND and I1-.

Thats exactly what I did.

The hookup is good because it detects changes, my issue is only that I have to query the ISY for it to have an effect on programs etc.

If the Restore Device did not resolve, do a Show Device Links Table and post Show output.

What ISY firmware and ui is being used?

0 : 1FF8 : E2 09 1C.FD.58 FF 1F 09

1 : 1FF0 : E2 0A 1C.FD.58 FF 1F 0A

2 : 1FE8 : E2 0B 1C.FD.58 FF 1F 0B

3 : 1FE0 : E2 0C 1C.FD.58 FF 1F 0C

4 : 1FD8 : E2 0D 1C.FD.58 FF 1F 0D

5 : 1FD0 : E2 0E 1C.FD.58 FF 1F 0E

6 : 1FC8 : E2 0F 1C.FD.58 FF 1F 0F

7 : 1FC0 : 00 00 00.00.00 00 00 00

ISY firmware version Insteon_UD994 v.4.3.26

The expected links are there.  However, my EZIO8SA links start at 3FF8.   This could be ok if your EZIO8SA is using a new 2413S for comm to/from powerline.  What is the EZIO8SA PLM hardware level on the PLM white sticker?

Also is 1C.FD.58 the PLM address being used by ISY?  This is displayed by Tools | Diagnostics | PLM Info/Status.

My ISY PLM is a little newer V.9B.  The PLM used by the EZIO8SA is older.  Those differences should not make any difference. Only thing I can suggest is to move EZIO8SA with its power supply and 2413S next to the ISY PLM to see if it works there.

My ISY PLM is a little newer V.9B.  The PLM used by the EZIO8SA is older.  Those differences should not make any difference. Only thing I can suggest is to move EZIO8SA with its power supply and 2413S next to the ISY PLM to see if it works there.

They are both on the same rackmounted power supply, but I doubt thats the issue, as they communicate well and status is accurate after query. Another indicator that they talk to each other well is that the outputs on the EZio8 work instantly on and off.

While im at it and you mentioned that you also use the EZIO8sa, I have a door strike connected to output 1 on it and use the following program;

Door Unlock - [iD 000A][Parent 0001]

If
        Control 'Kitchen KPL - Door Unlock' is switched On

Then
        Set 'IO Link Devices / Door Side' On
        Wait  10 seconds
        Set 'IO Link Devices / Door Side' Off

Else

Sometimes the door will stay unlocked and will not turn off after 10 seconds. Does this also indicate comm issue?

Possibly a comm issue.  This Program has no Condition that drives the Else.  Once the Then is invoked there is nothing in the "If Control" that can terminate the Then clause without executing "Set 'IO Link Devices / Door Side' Off"

If
        Control 'Kitchen KPL - Door Unlock' is switched On

Then
        Set 'IO Link Devices / Door Side' On
        Wait  10 seconds

Else
        Set 'IO Link Devices / Door Side' Off - this statement never executes - no False side of "If Control"

I have 2 EZIO8SA devices.

This Program has no Condition that drives the Else.  Once the Then is invoked there is nothing in the "If Control" that can terminate the Then clause without executing "Set 'IO Link Devices / Door Side' Off"

Oh, your right it was probably due to it being a time program before i changed the IF statement to a kpl button press.

Comm issues can be difficult to track down.  Computer equipment, routers, modems, TVs, can require a FilterLinc to isolate them from powerline.  I have my PCs, modem, switch isolated with a FilterLinc.  Also one TV out of three on first floor requires a FilterLinc.

I used the Event Viewer at LEVEL 3 to track Insteon commands to see where command execution improved with the FilterLincs.

There are various forum posts discussing issues with CFLs, particularly when they age.  I don't use CFLs so have no direct experience.  LEDs can be an issue.  Some turn On but then have issues when turning them Off.  It can take time to track down intermittent comm but it makes the Insteon network so much better when specific sources of are identified.  Most of my comm issues were resolved yearsnago, been using Insteon for some 10 years.

I don't have any issues with any of my leds all of my programs and scenes work great besides of this ezio8sa that sometimes gets stuck on output off, and the input issue mentioned above.

I have my pc modem and router hooked up to a ups, maybe I'll just add 1 filterlinc on ups and problem solved.

Archived