Hue Integration?

jkmonroe

Also, I don't seem to be able to create a scene in my Hue app with all the lights at zero.  1% is as low as it goes.  I know I can create a "scene" in the ISY controlling individual lights.  Is that what you are saying?

Instead of creating your scene from the "scenes" menu, do it from the "lights" menu. then hit create in upper right.

post-7872-0-18016100-1469113084_thumb.png

post-7872-0-01559500-1469113086_thumb.png

post-7872-0-28276800-1469113087_thumb.png

Also, I don't seem to be able to create a scene in my Hue app with all the lights at zero.  1% is as low as it goes.  I know I can create a "scene" in the ISY controlling individual lights.  Is that what you are saying?

You can just uncheck the lights you don't want to be impacted by the scene...that way your other lights can keep doing what they're doing.

post-7872-0-55978800-1469113319_thumb.png

:)  Is all this REALLY easier than just installing a polyglot instance on an RPI and using that to make each bulb appear as if were native?

I haven't installed Polyglot so I can't say a real comparison but I feel sorry for newbies attempting to tackle anything on a RPi.

I know this. I worked on a Unix work alike in the 80s for many years, writing my own drivers for FDD, HDDs, integer compilers, and many other pieces of software, but the Linux thing on the RPi is the worse piece of confusion I have ever seen. The documentation is not only bad, much of it is wrong and misleading. 90% of the software doesn't work due to incompatibilities with different versions of OSes, or implementations.

Software and system code writers enjoy making things as cryptic as possible with no rhyme or reason for names given to app and utilities,  Instructions are given out as a bunch of mumbo jumbo with no explanation of what any of it means.

Standards are lacking, unless one considers having 30 different standards as a standard. It's a mess and most of it isn't even compatible with itself. Sure it will settle down into a few but it will most likely settle into another completely different base that will win out and obsolete the whole thing based on thinking the Rpi was cheap to start with but I can buy a bare CPU for $10 too, much cheaper.

Don't get me wrong. I love the concept, and own two RPis, but without some real instructional documents most people are just going to be lost and scared off. My bet is 90% of RPis have not been powered them on within the last month and sit on a shelf or junkbox somewhere..

:)  Is all this REALLY easier than just installing a polyglot instance on an RPI and using that to make each bulb appear as if were native?

Good question.   :)  At the end of the day, it was buying a new piece of hardware -- getting this Polygot, figuring out how to install it, then figuring out how to integrate it.  Which all may be moot when 5.0 comes out.  Not that what I've done here was much easier, true... :)  But I could do it with my existing set-up.   Actually, I got it working and - and once I knew the steps, it really was easy.  It was figuring out the steps that was the problem.

To give back I am going to be posting a step-by-step guide for dummies (like me) to follow in my footsteps.  Like, real basic stuff that even someone's grandma could follow, with definitions.  Like "network resource" -- people kept saying that, but I didn't know what it was; where it was; what it did; etc.

As for the RPi thing, now that I have a better handle on what is what...yes, having each bulb appear as if it were a native Insteon device would be great.  Is that what you are saying it does?

If so, would you be interested in posting a step-by-step guide for it?  Down and dirty but as specific as you can?  I can do a full buffed out version later.  To give you an example, this is a piece of a rough draft for my "Network Resource Method" guide.

Step-by-step guide to Phillips Hue integration with the ISY (for dummies - like me)

I’m writing this because there are several scattered posts on how to control your Phillips Hue with your ISY.  But they all use terms and make assumptions-of-understanding that the laymen (like me) just doesn’t have — thus are very hard to follow.  I have finally integrated the two but wanted to leave behind a roadmap that anyone, with any level of understanding, can follow.   I will update this post as needed if anyone is confused by anything.  Please tell me if that’s the case.

BEFORE YOU BEGIN…there are a few bits of information you need to get first before you start tinkering with your ISY.  This is the “hard” part, with lots of steps — but is something you only do once.  After you get this info, it’s pretty easy to control the Hue with ISY.

1) The IP Address of your Hue

2) Your Hue Bridge user name/ID

3) The name/ID of the lights, groups, or scenes in the Hue that you want to control

TASK 1 - Get the IP Address of your Hue

There are several methods but the easiest I know that will be available to all is using the Hue app.  Specifically the iOS Hue app.  I imagine the Android app functions similarly (and could someone please confirm in the comments if that is the case?).

a ) Open the Hue app (and verify you can control your lights)

b ) Go to settings (gear icon in the upper right hand corner)

c ) Select “Hue bridges”

d ) Select your bridge (probably by tapping the little “i” for information)

e ) Select Network Settings

f ) Toggle the DHCP button to “off” — at which point you will see the IP address of your Hue

g) Toggle the DHCP back to “on”

Good question.   :)  At the end of the day, it was buying a new piece of hardware -- getting this Polygot, figuring out how to install it, then figuring out how to integrate it.  Which all may be moot when 5.0 comes out.  Not that what I've done here was much easier, true... :)  But I could do it with my existing set-up.   Actually, I got it working and - and once I knew the steps, it really was easy.  It was figuring out the steps that was the problem.

To give back I am going to be posting a step-by-step guide for dummies (like me) to follow in my footsteps.  Like, real basic stuff that even someone's grandma could follow, with definitions.  Like "network resource" -- people kept saying that, but I didn't know what it was; where it was; what it did; etc.

As for the RPi thing, now that I have a better handle on what is what...yes, having each bulb appear as if it were a native Insteon device would be great.  Is that what you are saying it does?

If so, would you be interested in posting a step-by-step guide for it?  Down and dirty but as specific as you can?  I can do a full buffed out version later.  To give you an example, this is a piece of a rough draft for my "Network Resource Method" guide.

You may have already done this, but in case you didn't, you should have your router reserve the ip address for your hue bridge...I learned that the hard way...router rebooted, and everything had new ip addresses...all my hue stuff stopped working.

also, is the step-by-step guide a post you made? If so, it might be nice to add the phillips api link.  http://www.developers.meethue.com/documentation/getting-started

Good tip on the IP address. Mine never seem to change much. But good tip.

Yes, it is a post I am making. I will add that link. Thank you.

I have everything in my LAN pegged down with a static IP address dictated by my router. Guests are the only devices that get dynamic assignment. Each person's devices gets blocks of ten number groupings just to keep it easy to figure out who is doing what. Printers and common things get different ranges etc.

Every device uses DHCP and the router reigns supreme.

• 2 weeks later...

Will do.  Could you give me a list of other methods, so I can include that in there?

Polyglot is becoming one of the more popular methods.

I use the Network Resources direct to the Hue Hub for mine but may attempt to write my own python handler and talk to it via a Network Resource channel for fun.

I am starting to look into Polyglot for this, but it seems like a lot of vacations going on right now.

• 2 weeks later...

I had purchased the network module previously.  I "upgraded" to the ISY portal, which is supposed to include the network module but on a renewable subscription.  BUT...the "network" tab is now gone!  Instead I have a tab called "portals" which doesn't have networking.

I'm confused...where is the network tab now???

Starman

Archived