Amazon Echo - Connected Home Feature!

Michel Kohanim

I have just finished an interesting application for the ISY.  It is in two parts, one part IR_Gen runs on a Windows machine and builds the correct timing files for a Global Cache unit. The input is the protocol information for the device in a notation known as .irp, or the pronto hex codes for the device. It also has the capability to build Macros from the various timing files that have been constructed. The second part, IR_Proxy runs on a Raspberry Pi and acts as a proxy between the ISY (or any other device that can issue raw TCP commands), and any number of Global cache IR units you have on the LAN. IR_Proxy uses the timing and macros files produced by IR_Gen.  IR proxy accepts a simple English language text string to Identify the Global Cache unit, the port on that unit, the device file containing the IR timing information and the specific command from that file to be transmitted. 

As an example lets say I have a Scientific Atlanta set top box I have chosen to name STB as a device on a Global Cache unit named 'House'  connected on IR port 2.  Then the ISY can send the TCP string "House 2,STB,Guide" to turn on the guide.  The string "Macro, House,2,NBC" will send the NBC macro out on port 2 of the House Global Device changing to that station. 

I am just starting the documentation phase for the system and should be done this week.  I am interested to know how many ISY users would be interested in a copy of this system. Installation on a RPi is not difficult but not trivial either.  I will try to supply enough information for a non-linux soul to be successful.  

Barry, that is great for older devices, but for newer ones with ip control it doesn't really have an advantage does it?  I have been very close to purchasing an IR solution several times but could never get past where to mount the IR transmitter and I use the native RF for the Directv DVRs too.  I can currently control most of my devices through ip control with the ISY.  Bravia TV, Denon Receiver, WD TV Live, Directv DVRs, Android TV, ip cameras, etc...  I think ip control to press a button six times in a row might even be faster than IR but I do not know that for sure.  Alexa, turn on skip commercials is the most used command I have!  :) The Sony TV did give me issues with authentication from the ISY but I was able to work around it with Eventghost.  Hopefully they can fix that at some point.  I just bought an Ecobee3 thermostat and I am able to completely control it via IFTTT with the ISY which is very nice. IFTTT is quickly becoming a game changer for me with all the things they have added, just like the Echo did. I can even start our vehicle with the Remote Link app on my Android via IFTTT and Tasker.  Very cool to be able to tell Alexa to start the car.  Yes, it's cloud but already in the cloud with the Echo anyway.

Yes, you are quite correct re older vs. newer devices. My TV sets (other than the one in the theater) are all "older" and have IR control as opposed to IP. Also the set top boxes (other than the TiVo's) use IR control. I had a need to do IR control and as time passed i have migrated to different types of "Remote Control systems". I have always used a Proxy for IR so I didn't have to put timing information in each control system. This latest effort just migrated the proxy from running on a PC to running on an RPi.

I just saw an announcement re the Raspberry Pi 3, a 1.25 Ghz processor with 4 cores. I will probably pick up one of those just to run Kodi. At $35 it can't be beat.   

Being a heavy Javascript user I wanted to get some experience with Node.js.  The combination of Visual Studio 2015 (free) running on a Win 10 platform for development and testing with production running on a headless RPI exactly met my needs. The proxy as it exists now runs synchronously for its setup phase where it locates the Global Caches and loads the IR timing tables and macro data into memory.  It then switches to asynchronous operation for all the TCP/IP work so its CPU load is very low.

Was an interesting learning experience.  I once again learned that Google is my best friend.

• 1 month later...

My echo has 111 connected devices and a couple of group items. I'm trying to figure out why echo doesn't recognize an Appliancelinc 2456S3 v.38 on my system.  The Applianclinc is working fine through my ISY but I cannot control it with echo because echo doesn't find it. Any suggestions? Thanks

My echo has 111 connected devices and a couple of group items. I'm trying to figure out why echo doesn't recognize an Appliancelinc 2456S3 v.38 on my system.  The Applianclinc is working fine through my ISY but I cannot control it with echo because echo doesn't find it. Any suggestions? Thanks

You need to add the appliancelinc in the portal then assign it a spoken phrase and rediscover

Jon...

if you have done what jerlands suggested and it still doesn't work try the following: 

Try a different name.

Make a program that turns on and off the appliance-linc and have the echo control the program.

I had a lot of failures and issues with appliance-linc's and controlled outlets (prior to echo) and stopped using them.  I now just place a micro-linc in the box with a normal receptacle and split the receptacle to two individual units by breaking the connection between the  two hot screws. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I can't find any reference to the 99i in conjunction with the Echo. Am I correct that I will need to replace the 99i with a 994i with the portal module to make this work? Thanks, Scott

Yes.

The 99i cannot support any firmware starting at 4 due to insufficient storage space.

There is still a very generous upgrade offer though...

Archived