I use the ISY994i to save about 53k a year in power at my offices.

ccharmatz

Hello,

I started with X10 at home years ago, from there went to HAL2000, which lead me to Cinemar and from there to the ISY.  Once the ISY was brought to my attention I was very happy with how reliable the device was.

Confident that with a properly installed insteon network, and armed with the ISY as the automation controller I decided to automate the lighting in four of our offices.  We are currently on track to save about 53k a year on our power bills.

The ISY is a fantastic product.

Charles.

Is that 53k kilowatts or $ ?

Dollars for the year across four facilities.  Our lighting went from on 24/7 to only being on an average of 4 hours a day.  We use PIR sensors and programs in the ISY to only light sections that have people in them.  and when there is no activity completely shut the lighting off.

Dollars for the year across four facilities. Our lighting went from on 24/7 to only being on an average of 4 hours a day. We use PIR sensors and programs in the ISY to only light sections that have people in them. and when there is no activity completely shut the lighting off.

Hello,

For the benefit of others can you offer a little bit more insight. What kind of power scheme does your location use?

Flat, tiered, ToU, etc.

Also what is the cost for electricity per KWh?

Lastly, do you know how much each facility consumes in terms of energy?

=========================

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

Hello,

For the benefit of others can you offer a little bit more insight. What kind of power scheme does your location use?

Stats on one of my Florida Sites:

Also what is the cost for electricity per kWh?

Demand Charge:  $10.43/kWh

Energy Charge:     $.02012/kWh

Fuel Charge:         $.03676/kWh

Yes, but as an example one of the Florida sites was:

33 day period

10,352 / kWh/Day

468kW

This is not all lighting, especially now.

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

Hello,

Stats on one of my Florida Sites:

Also what is the cost for electricity per kWh?

Demand Charge:  $10.43/kWh

Energy Charge:     $.02012/kWh

Fuel Charge:         $.03676/kWh

Yes, but as an example one of the Florida sites was:

33 day period

10,352 / kWh/Day

468kW

This is not all lighting, especially now.

For comparison an Austin Site:

30 day Period

Commercial Rate

11100 / kWh/Day

500kW

Electric Delivery:                    $4.50 per kW

Demand Charge:                   $6.85 per kW

Energy Charge:                      $.01747 per kWh

Regulatory charges                $4.43 per kW

Power Supply Adjustment:    $.03139 per kWh

Wow both sites pay very little for power in general terms. It simply comes down to your facility uses lots of energy as part of their production.

Much thanks for sharing those details. As an aside may I ask would you not have seen the same or similar cost savings simply by using motion sensors with no logic?

Don't get me wrong when a building has occupants programmable logic aids in this process so much better.

Thank you for sharing . . .

That is classic energy rates here too and probably most of N. America.

The energy rates are even cheaper for utilities but the demand charges are exhorbitant compared to residential rates.

Classically if you create a demand peak you pay that rate depreciated on a sliding scale for 12 more months.

Wow both sites pay very little for power in general terms. It simply comes down to your facility uses lots of energy as part of their production.

Much thanks for sharing those details. As an aside may I ask would you not have seen the same or similar cost savings simply by using motion sensors with no logic?

Don't get me wrong when a building has occupants programmable logic aids in this process so much better.

Thank you for sharing . . .

I had a company come in and quote us, it was about 1/4 the cost to use the ISY with insteon than the solution we were being pitched.   or even changing to all led bulbs.

I have a 60k sq foot room with six lighting zones running on 277v  With six light switches.  All in one place at the main entrance.   The logic made it more fun, but using the ISY I was able to recoup the cost of the equipment extremely fast.

cc-

Do you believe at some time changing out to LED fixtures will be done at some point even if in stages?

As most POCO offer incentive to their large customers to help reduce the load on the grid during peak periods.

Do you believe at some time changing out to LED fixtures will be done at some point even if in stages?

As most POCO offer incentive to their large customers to help reduce the load on the grid during peak periods.

I have that budgeted for later this year.  The savings from automating with the ISY will help cover the cost of the LED upgrades.

cc-

Hi ccharmatz,

Thanks SO very much for posting. Do I have your permission to move this topic to our Green forum?

With kind regards,

Michel

Sure.  Sorry if I posted in wrong place.  But it is how I am using.

Hi ccharmatz,Thanks SO very much for posting. Do I have your permission to move this topic to our Green forum?With kind regards,Michel

Michel,

I would suggest turning this in to a case study and use it for advertising. This is a fabulous achievement.

Archived