Ubiquiti UniFi Long Range Access Point

smokegrub

I have signal wi-fi signal strength issues in a detached building while using an Airport Extreme in my residence. I have tried using an Airport Express as a range extender and it only made things worse. A network savvy friend has recommended the subject device. I have done some reading but have not found much useful information--at least for me! I will be setting the device up using a mid-2010 MacBook Pro running Yosemite. I am especially interested in any problems the device may present for my ISY 994 IR Pro. I have noted some vague--again to me--apparent concerns with devices that are JAVA based. Any help you could offer to aid me in my decision-making would be appreciated,

The Ubiquity network stuff is good gear.  I use them both at work and at home.  I have installed them at numerous client locations as well.  No issues on my Macs in terms of getting them running.  They do use Java for their "Controller" but I have not had any trouble in that regard.  The controller is not necessary beyond for configuration unless you want to monitor the network.

Hope this helps.

-Xathros

PS: These are WAY better than any of the Airport gear in terms of signal propagation.

I just installed two UAP-AC-PRO units here at my house and I manage a small network of them at my kids' school.  I like the Ubiquity products.  I haven't tried the one you are referring to.  I also have an Edgerouter Lite that is really configurable.

I don't see how an access point would conflict with a ISY since they are different frequencies (z-wave/zigbee vs wifi).

Sorry but UBNT is junk.

May I ask what is it about the devices and your direct experience that would lead you to state this?

I know a couple of people that say they are junk, and further research revealed they felt hard done by on their Kickstarter - and it was a reflection of that experience rather than the final products.

This opinion goes counter to the experience of many.... I know many professionals that use these. Those that have actually used them have relayed nothing but good experiences to me. And I use them myself, with great success.

Sorry but UBNT is junk. Look at Ruckus AP instead. Price is actually lower and the devices are solid.

I'm not sure a blanket statement that Ubiquity is junk is accurate.  I think the two companies bring different things to market and based on the person's needs, they can choose.  For a simple inexpensive setup, Ubiquity can work well.  If you want 20 access points, then Ruckus brings more tools.  

I own a AV company and have first hand experience with a vast majority of wifi devices. UBNT and Luxul have the worst track record and reliability. I am not the only one that feels this way.

I won't go into ALL specifics but my top three complaints are, first UBNT has NO tech support. This is huge when your deploying multiple access points. Secondly, handoff between two APs is awful, it will hold on to a wifi signal even when a stronger one exists in the network. Then the main issue I have is the "controller". I cant understand for the life of me why they have a Java based app to setup the AP!? Even the most basic APs and Routers allow web browsers to setup and configure the device. Java is garbage too. ;) This means a simple tweak or change can't be made on an tablet or alternative device. This is from an installer point of view, but every site needs the controller software installed. So I need to have it installed multiple times to configure other sites. I know this doesn't pertain to simple residential installs. This also means no remote access into the configuration either and have to be onsite. Finally I have tested throughput and signal strength and the more users on the network throughput and signal decline. Again maybe not a big deal in residential installs but if the price allows might as well use the commercial/SMB devices in a residential install, as rule of thumb it's usually higher quality.

Edit: fwiw this is just my opinion from what I have experienced. For the same price or cheaper you can get better hardware. That's all my point is. "Junk" maybe harsh but that's what I feel they are and while they outperform the "toy" routers from the normal box retailers there are better choices. Sorry for not being politically correct about them. So far the Ruckus Unleaded setups have been simply perfect for my installs both in residential and commercial. Reading how the Ruckus antennas and auto signal changing works is worthwhile.

I do agree their tech support model is the same as many other large companies - which makes it hard for smaller integrators (and home users).

The problem is, they sell direct (and via places like Amazon) as well, without providing support to those purchasers. Their policy is 'get support from your var' - but when your place of purchase was Amazon that's not possible.

Try getting tech support for an F5 or a Cisco ASA (I could go on and on!) that you purchased from eBay!.

Anyway, a much more reasonable review. I appreciate it! I hate it when I see a strong negative about any product without any details of the source of the opinion.

I'm going to have to look at the Ruckus devices now!

I very much appreciate the feedback. While Ruckus may be a superior product and especially where off-site management is a concern, its price point appears to be about $400 versus $80 for the Ubiquiti. My friend is using the latter in a corporate setting and has nothing but praise for the product. So, given that the Ubiquiti appears to play well with the Mac and has no apparent issues with ISY it seems to be the best choice for me.

I very much appreciate the feedback. While Ruckus may be a superior product and especially where off-site management is a concern, its price point appears to be about $400 versus $80 for the Ubiquiti. My friend is using the latter in a corporate setting and has nothing but praise for the product. So, given that the Ubiquiti appears to play well with the Mac and has no apparent issues with ISY it seems to be the best choice for me.

If you google Ubiquiti reviews, you see that they do get good reviews.  They are budget-oriented-entry-level-commercial-grade equipment which is definitely a step up from the home access points we are all used to using and the prices are good so that the jump from residential to Ubiquiti is feasible.

I do agree their tech support model is the same as many other large companies - which makes it hard for smaller integrators (and home users).

The problem is, they sell direct (and via places like Amazon) as well, without providing support to those purchasers. Their policy is 'get support from your var' - but when your place of purchase was Amazon that's not possible.

Try getting tech support for an F5 or a Cisco ASA (I could go on and on!) that you purchased from eBay!.

Anyway, a much more reasonable review. I appreciate it! I hate it when I see a strong negative about any product without any details of the source of the opinion.

I'm going to have to look at the Ruckus devices now!

I am in the mindset that some of this stuff is leaked and shouldn't be sold to end users, like the Cisco products. No way a normal person should be using this equipment or have access to it unless they know what they are doing. If your a DIYer like you and me, then we know whats to be expected and don't call Cisco crying we need help.

Not sure your comparing apples with apples. The low end UBNT stuff is cheaper but the Access Points etc are a bit pricer. Your right though they price protect their products because they are AV/Network Installer friendly and really aimed at larger homes/installations. The old saying, you get what you pay for does apply. Hopefully your friend who uses them in a corporate environment has a backup when it fails. Any corporation should and I would figure they do. It plays fine with the ISY and MAC, Windows, but Java is the issue and like I stated if you want to make any changes to the network you have to be at a computer to run the app. Not having a builtin webpage makes me shake my head.

If you google Ubiquiti reviews, you see that they do get good reviews.  They are budget-oriented-entry-level-commercial-grade equipment which is definitely a step up from the home access points we are all used to using and the prices are good so that the jump from residential to Ubiquiti is feasible.

They get good reviews because people are not used to anything better. Of course range, signals, etc are better but they don't know any better. ;) Kind of like why we all are here and love the ISY vs the Insteon Hubs, right? They "pretend" they are commercial grade but in reality its not. Commercial applications shy away from using a dedicated app. I know I may sound like a broken record on this but do you really think an IT admin for a dozen of these things wants to run a app? How can you remote config or troubleshoot for a site? Its a PITA and then costs you to install a small PC to be able to login to, negating the savings. Making things worse is having to deal with Mac or Windows removing Java and security settings. Upgrading accidentally and not being able to run them. Again, for a small single instance, they are fine, but so would a Asus RT router.

At the end of the day some guys are Apple fan boys and some are Windows guys. I happen to be a Ruckus fan due to working with them. I can install them quickly, troubleshooting is easy and they are rock solid. None of this, reboot the WAP, reboot your router to get your speeds back. No faulty equipment. 

EDIT: Actually I have a Ubiquiti Networks Unifi 802.11ac Dual-Radio PRO Access Point sitting in my shop that I was given as a test unit from UBNT, anyone want to buy it now that I gave them such a stellar review?

I don't think anyone is arguing that a Ubiquiti is better than a Ruckus.  They are similar products for different niches and have different price points to match -- each company is intentionally serving different customer bases.  E.g. a Hyundai vs Lexus.  The Hyundais work fine but they aren't a Lexus, even if Hyundai makes some cars that look really similar they still aren't a Lexus but people buy Hyndais and drive them around and are happy with them because that is what they wanted when they went shopping and it was what they could afford. 

If I install a multi-wap setup with more than just a couple of waps, I definitely will look into Ruckus based on your suggestions.

Just stumbled across this for those that don't want to run unifi controller on their own machine.  Note that the controller is not required to run all the time if you aren't using the portal/guest functionality.

https://www.cloudunifi.com/

Archived