Device responding to commands, but not query

I have an outdoor appliance line that was working fine until recently.  Now, it responds to commands (on\off), but can't query the status of the device.  I've tried a device restore, which fails..  not sure what else to do.  suggestions?

I have an outdoor appliance line that was working fine until recently.  Now, it responds to commands (on\off), but can't query the status of the device.  I've tried a device restore, which fails..  not sure what else to do.  suggestions?

Try a factory reset it and restore it. 

Another possibility: Try it without the load, after unplugging and replugging, as a test. Low voltage lighting transformers create line noise that can cause insteon device problems, if that's what's plugged into it. I had one on an outletlinc, and when it got warmer out would stop responding. I ended up having to up a filterlinc in between.

Paul

neither worked.  same behavior.  as a note, I ran all last year outside with this same load off the same outlet...

Have you looked at the event or error logs while exercising the query?

My guess is that the device has failed in some way and needs to be replaced.

Paul

it's a fountain pump, and lighting.  

event log doesn't show much...  says fail when writing updates...  yeah maybe needs to be replaced...  I guess I'll look into that.  looks like the new ones have dual band so that will be nice..

it's a fountain pump, and lighting.  

event log doesn't show much...  says fail when writing updates...  yeah maybe needs to be replaced...  I guess I'll look into that.  looks like the new ones have dual band so that will be nice..

Line noise can be hard on them, and an electric motor and low voltage lighting is a "double wammy". You may want to think about a filterlinc in the mix if that's possible 

• 4 months later...

binaryman, did you ever get this working?  I'm having the same issue with two outletlincs.  They are the only two outletlincs in my system, and all other devices are working fine.  But I cannot restore device or write updates to either.  One is even on the same circuit as the ISY just one wall away.  Struggling.....

it shows 1011 if I try to restore the device.  The exclamation shows when I first open ISY and remains until I successfully query the device.  That can take a couple tries to work but eventually does.  The restore and subsequent write updates to device typically fail but after maybe 10 tries it will eventually work.  One outletlinc has nothing plugged into it and the other has a hot water circulating pump.  I know that could create noise so I tried turning the device off and trying again, and closing and reopening my ISY connection from my browser.

Remove the outletlinc that has nothing plugged in. Power it using an extension cord cut on half (which makes a great troubleshooting tool). A ground connection is not needed. The side of a two conductor extension cord that has a rib is the neutral, the smooth side is line.

Plug the extension cord into a few outlets around the house. Try restoring it followed by write updates to device. Any success?

okay tried that and it seemed to work okay.  I tested a few times.  However, when I reinstalled it at it's true location it seems to be working more consistently anyway.  Ugh.  Both are working okay now.  After a few days of fighting with them.  So perhaps there's a device in my house that was generating noise?  But only affecting the two (and only) outletlincs?  I ran "restored device" on literally every device on my system to get rid of an old link on all of them and only had trouble on those two devices that persisted.  Until now.  I'll have to keep playing around with things until I can find the culprit?  

Troubleshooting is tedious. Start by turning off the breaker for one of the troublesome outlets. Make note of everything that's on that circuit. Unplug and/or disconnect everything you can on that circuit. Turning off anything electronic is inadequate. It must be unplugged or disconnected. That includes any lighting that's not incandescent.

Now power on that circuit. Does the outletlinc communication improve?

interesting I'll have to add that to the todo list lol.

Although right now its okay so I may start there and figure out what is different between now and the last few days I was working on it.  If/when I find it I will report back.  Thank you for the help.  literally all bulbs inside and out are LED, I have refrigerators, appliances, motors, pool pumps, etc that will all need to be accounted for.  I'll get there...

Archived