Some Echo commands not workin.

garybixler

I don't know if this is a Portal, Echo or some other issue but today I found some scenes not responding to turn off. Turn on scene name seems to work fine. Other commands like turn ON/OFF kitchen sound via network resource no longer works. Was sound removed from Echo's vocabulary? Also the command turn ON scene living room lamp 2 works but the OFF command doesn't. The responses are  'I don't know how to help you with than or the name is not in my profile' but clearly shows up there.

Rebooted ISY

Relearned Echo devices.

Thanks for any thoughts

Gary

I don't know if this is a Portal, Echo or some other issue but today I found some scenes not responding to turn off. Turn on scene name seems to work fine. Other commands like turn ON/OFF kitchen sound via network resource no longer works. Was sound removed from Echo's vocabulary? Also the command turn ON scene living room lamp 2 works but the OFF command doesn't. The responses are 'I don't know how to help you with than or the name is not in my profile' but clearly shows up there.

Rebooted ISY

Relearned Echo devices.

Thanks for any thoughts

Gary

It has nothing to do with ISY not the Portal.. It seams to me your "spoken names" are too complicated and long. Be creative and make them short. You don't have to put "scene" in the spoken g for scene.. As an example only, instead of spoken "scene living room lamp 2" come up with something short. Again just as example put spoken "big lamp". Then you just say "Alexa turn on the big lamp". I had to go through this exercise my self and simplify all my spokens..

Cheers,

Alex

I was describing the scene not including it. My spoken is 'turn on living room lamp 1. This works. The spoken 'turn OFF living room lamp 2' doesn't work. These have worked just fine for months up until today. the spoken 'Turn OFF kitchen sound' no longer works.

Ok this is different. Saying 'turn off living room lamp 2' doesn't work with the response 'I couldn't find a device or group named living room lamp 2 in my profile'. This has always worked saying 'turn off' first. But just tried it by saying 'turn living room lamp 2 off' and that works.

So saying 'turn on living room lamp 2' works but saying 'turn off living room lamp 2. doesn't work. 

saying 'turn living room lamp 2 on' works and saying turn living room lamp 2 off' works.

However on another device via network saying 'turn off kitchen sound' no longer works. response is 'not quite sure how to help you with that'.

Saying 'turn kitchen sound off' doesn't work either. Response is 'couldn't fine kitchen in my profile'  with the word sound missing. In this case I think Echo hijacked the word 'sound'. Will have to check with another word.

It gets harder and harder to find words to use anymore.

Update: They did indeed take the word sound.

Try placing the On/Off sometimes first and sometimes last. After awhile, the app will learn. After all, the intelligence is artificial B)

I think I need to relearn again. Getting harder to remember latest words with having to change things every few months.

FWIW within the last week Alexia has changed again. I can no longer say "Alexia open bedroom shades" - I must say "turn on" to open and "turn off" to close. So it may not be you or your programs bit that what once did work doesn't now.

There's clearly a change in how alexa responds.  She can't understand certain scenes that have multiple words as the name.  For example:  If I say "turn on the bedroom lights" she doesn't understand what I'm saying.  But if I say "turn on the bedroom" she understands.  If I say "turn on the pool audio" she won't understand.  But if I say " turn on the pool" she understands.  I never had these problems in the past.

That is odd because I need to say 'turn on/off the bedroom light' for Alexa to understand. The differences I have found is that numbers need to be spelled out now. Also all words with different meanings need to be included. Like 2, too, two, to. And the word 'sound' no longer works. Must be reserved for something else. I did notice that the firmware is now 3386. Been upgraded since I had checked a few weeks ago. I had done a forget all and rediscover all devices at some point. I wouldn't say that might help however.

• 6 months later...

Archived