How to control a 2 stage whole house fan?

waffles

Looks like you got it, but using an insteon dimmer to control a VFD would be a slick way to have infinite control over fan speed.  I just got a bunch of parts to build a whole house fan.  I'm adding some window switch controls so that the windows have to be open.

Looks like I need more hand holding...

I wired up the module and relays, as well as registered the module with my ISY. I can power on L1 and L2 on by using the On/FastOn or Off/FastOff commands in the ISY. However, it only works by alternating L1 and L2. Also the module only powers Lx for about 10 sec, then shuts off again. I played with the module's options, but they do not seem to make any difference (see screenshot). These options seem to be for the 2 sensor wires anyway, which I am not using.

I am looking for a way to:

1. turn L1 discretely on/off 

2. run L1 for x minutes, then turn off

(and the same set up for L2)

What am I missing?

post-3171-0-99227600-1471543390_thumb.png

Some progress:

I made the module a responder to an 8 button dimmer. The assigned button is in toggle mode. Now, by pushing the button, I get the module to switch between L1 and L2. However, the module still reverts back to off after some 10 sec., if I stop toggling.

Also how can I discretely turn on either L1 or L2?

It seems that the module is in momentary mode. Follow the instructions in the Owner's Manual to place the module into latching mode or factory reset the module (latching is the default).

Following the instructions in the manual, I tried to change settings to latching mode on the module itself with the tab switches - no joy. Then I tried the same method for a factory reset - still not joy.

Interestingly, when I press the buttons, the module's "Current State" in the ISY switches status and stays either On or Off.

However, the module itself no longer powers Lx after the timeout. How do I get Lx to stay powered on?

Set the momentary time to any value, say 2 or 5 or 8 seconds. Set the Micro Module to latching. Press the button controller. How long did the fan stay on?

Set the momentary time to any value, say 2 or 5 or 8 seconds. Set the Micro Module to latching. Press the button controller. How long did the fan stay on?

exactly those 2 or 5 or 8 seconds. So the time setting works. What does not work is the latching mode. The settings (checked/unchecked) in the options menu (momentary, dual line, etc.) stick, but they do not seem to make a difference. In addition, the comments in red font don't change when changing the settings. Something is broken..

post-3171-0-95303700-1471608246_thumb.png

I performed another factory reset per manual - still no joy!

I checked the operation mode per manual, directly on the module: from the # of beeps, it's in Latching Mode (triple beep). It just does not behave that way.

Just wondering: the module presents itself in the ISY GUI like a (lamp) switch: on / fast on / off / fast off, i.e. only 2 discrete states: on and off. However, I would have expected 3 states and ways to invoke them: all off, L1 on, L2 on.

What can I try next?

So I spent the better part of an hour on the phone with Insteon Tech Support. In short, my module works as designed, i..e Lx gets turned off after set time, while the state remains. Sending the same command repeatedly does not changes that behavior.

I am trying to figure out what the max. timeout is. Maybe it's some 30 minutes or so (they could not tell me); I could work with that. Seems like ISY does not accept a discrete entry of the time and I have to use the up/down arrows for that....

(edit: seems like it's 2 minutes - not long enough for my needs - rats!)

A rather disappointing outcome....

BTW, they recommended using 2 on/off modules or any other 2 on/off switches, controlled by an ISY program to prevent simultaneously activation - oh well....

It's probably the latching mode you need so the whole tech support statements were moot.

I believe the module is already in latching mode, based on the # of beeps (triple beep).

Tech Support put me on hold several times. When he came back he said they had just tried it on an ISY and had seen the same behavior as on mine.

Not sure, where I should go from there.

On a different forum, someone post a difficulty with the up/down time not being equal. The solution was to bypass the Hub and to manually link the controller to the Micro Module. Different scenario, but worth a try.

Post 36 said latching didn't work.

You can't have it both ways. Either it latches or times off.

Not sure I understand your comment. Can you please elaborate? The issue with the module that it does not latch at all, despite having set the option to "latching" and getting the triple confirmation beep.

Not sure I understand your comment. Can you please elaborate? The issue with the module that it does not latch at all, despite having set the option to "latching" and getting the triple confirmation beep.

Latching and timing out are two opposite modes for a relay.

If a relay mechanism latches it never times out.

If a relay times out then it didn't latch.

In post 41 you thought it was in latching mode.

Latching and timing out are two opposite modes for a relay.

If a relay mechanism latches it never times out.

If a relay times out then it didn't latch.

In post 41 you thought it was in latching mode.

The indications are that the module is in latching mode (option for momentary not checked (screenshot post #36) and triple beep), but the module behaves like it is in momentary/time out mode. That's what's so confusing to me.

The indications are that the module is in latching mode (option for momentary not checked (screenshot post #36) and triple beep), but the module behaves like it is in momentary/time out mode. That's what's so confusing to me.

It just sounded like your tech support call went the wrong way and got distracted, preventing you from sending it back under warranty.

Have you tried eliminating the controller button scenes and manually linking the buttons to the Micro Module (see post #44)?

When you say buttons, do you mean buttons e.g. of a dimmer keypad? If so, not yet.

However, I have tried the 'build in' buttons of the module, in addition to the ISY.

Archived