Device functions but won't communicate with ISY

I have a single device - an Icon On/Off switch #2876S that functions properly and links manually. I cannot get the ISY to recognize this device (only), either by auto search or entering the address. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Al Zulich

I once had a switch with an incorrect address label on it. I had to put the ISY into discovery mode and add it that way to learn what the real address was.

I have a single device - an Icon On/Off switch #2876S that functions properly and links manually. I cannot get the ISY to recognize this device (only), either by auto search or entering the address. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Al Zulich

I once had a switch with an incorrect address label on it. I had to put the ISY into discovery mode and add it that way to learn what the real address was.

Thanks!

Al Zulich

One of my Remotelincs has the wrong address on the sticker.

• 1 month later...

I am having problem with all my icon appliance adapters. My ISY can control them, but their status is not updating unless I do a manual query. Also when I use the ISY to turn on or off the switch it actually works but gives me comm error. I have tried to reset the adapters and restore the device. I even tried to restore the PLM. Same result. This seems to have started when I replaced my old PLM with a new one. This also caused problems with my EZIO switches. I actually bought two PLMs and both seems to have the problem and I can't go back to the old PLM. I am not sure about the PLM since it may have been an isy firmware upgrade. I am at 2.7.0. Any ideas?

Hello dougos2,

I am so very sorry to hear about these problems ... they sound a LOT like PLM issues: the only way the PLM lets you know a status of a device has changed is if there's a link for that device in your PLM. Since you have replaced your PLM, then it seems that Restore PLM has not been successful. May I humbly suggest the following:

1. Use your old PLM

2. Restore your BACKUP for your old PLM

3. Do File->Restore Devices

4. Get a new PLM (a replacement for your current one) and reboot ISY with the new PLM

5. Do File->Restore Modem (PLM)

With kind regards,

Michel

I am having problem with all my icon appliance adapters. My ISY can control them, but their status is not updating unless I do a manual query. Also when I use the ISY to turn on or off the switch it actually works but gives me comm error. I have tried to reset the adapters and restore the device. I even tried to restore the PLM. Same result. This seems to have started when I replaced my old PLM with a new one. This also caused problems with my EZIO switches. I actually bought two PLMs and both seems to have the problem and I can't go back to the old PLM. I am not sure about the PLM since it may have been an isy firmware upgrade. I am at 2.7.0. Any ideas?

The old PLM did not work. However, after lots more testing, I finally got them to work. The key is to leave "on" the device attached to the icon adapter. If the device is off or is not attached, I have communication problems. the device must be drawing current when the icon adapter turns on. Now the ISY works perfectly and communicates the changes. But (always a but) if you turn on the device attached to the icon adapter manually (simply turn on its switch). The icon adapter turns on as it should but does not tell the ISY of its status change. A simple query on the ISY fixes this so no big deal. Just thought it might be helpful. All my adapter now work. Thanks for the ideas. Please keep working on the EZIO status change issues. My garage door sensors still have issues (know issue in this forum).

Hi dougos2,

If you are talking about LampLincs, then they do not yet have the load sense feature working. As such, if you turn on the load, ISY would not hear it.

Apart from that, I am so very glad you got everything working.

With kind regards,

Michel

The old PLM did not work. However, after lots more testing, I finally got them to work. The key is to leave "on" the device attached to the icon adapter. If the device is off or is not attached, I have communication problems. the device must be drawing current when the icon adapter turns on. Now the ISY works perfectly and communicates the changes. But (always a but) if you turn on the device attached to the icon adapter manually (simply turn on its switch). The icon adapter turns on as it should but does not tell the ISY of its status change. A simple query on the ISY fixes this so no big deal. Just thought it might be helpful. All my adapter now work. Thanks for the ideas. Please keep working on the EZIO status change issues. My garage door sensors still have issues (know issue in this forum).

doug,

If I understand your current situation - your ApplianceLinc's will only communicate if they are in the "ON" state and powering the attached load (Correct)? Since the ApplianceLincs use a connection to the neutral line as a reference this should not be the case.

What type of load is attached and where is this circuit located (kitchen)?

A couple of possibilities -

1) You have a noise source in the vicinity that is preventing good communication when the Appliancelinc is off. When you switch the load on, the impedance of the circuit drops and the noise source effect is reduced since it can't drive into the local load.

2) You have an extremely lightly loaded circuit when the Appliance is off and you are getting Insteon "reflections" (transmission line theory - unterminated line) that are corrupting the signal. I've never encountered this in practice.

In either case, you should be able to eliminate the Appliancelinc as the culprit by plugging your connected load directly into the circuit. If the Appliancelinc then functions normally, it's not the problem.

If the above works, try unplugging other suspect devices on the circuit (noise source hunting). If you find unplugging a device heals your Appliancelinc, install a filter on the offender.

Please let us know how you are progressing,

IM

The old PLM did not work. However, after lots more testing, I finally got them to work. The key is to leave "on" the device attached to the icon adapter. If the device is off or is not attached, I have communication problems. the device must be drawing current when the icon adapter turns on. Now the ISY works perfectly and communicates the changes.

This is a feature of some Insteon devices. If they have no load connected they return a NAK (not-acknowledged) in response to On/Off commands. The fact that they do respond indicates a no-load error.

But (always a but) if you turn on the device attached to the icon adapter manually (simply turn on its switch). The icon adapter turns on as it should but does not tell the ISY of its status change. A simple query on the ISY fixes this so no big deal. Just thought it might be helpful.

The latest revision Insteon 'Lincs have been reported to broadcast on local changes, older devices and Icons do not.

Rand

Rand,

You had me excited for a bit with the "new" local control and no connected load NAK.

Unfortunately, I'm unable to verify either of these with my Rev 4.1 appliancelinc. Is it possible that only the lamplincs respond in this manner?

If this is true for the Lamplincs I'll be a bit poorer in the near future. I'm currently using X10 for the local control transmission and it has it's side effects. Insteon local control notification would be very nice.

IM

This is a feature of some Insteon devices. If they have no load connected they return a NAK (not-acknowledged) in response to On/Off commands. The fact that they do respond indicates a no-load error.

The latest revision Insteon 'Lincs have been reported to broadcast on local changes, older devices and Icons do not.

Rand

Archived