Will Echo / Dot work with ISY-99i ?

AustinKirby

I just purchased an Amazon Dot and followed exactly (I hope) the Amazon Echo Step by Step instructions on the forum. I purchased the portal and have it running just fine.  I enabled the skill "ISY Optimized for Smart Home V2" in the Alexa app. I can see the Echo listed under "connectivity" in the ISY portal and can see all of my devices, scenes and programs there and I've created a couple of spoken nodes. When I instruct Alexa to discover new devices nothing is found!

I just got off the phone with Amazon Echo support and they told me that the echo does not work with Ethernet connected devices--only wireless devices. That seems very strange. Could the problem be that I have the old  ISY 99! ?

Will the 99i work with Echo?

Thanks!

Hi AustinKirby

A LAN is  LAN... if all of your devices, wired and wireless.... converge on the same network through a consumer wireless router, that does not matter.

However, you will need a 994i as the Echo/Dot are only supported on newer firmware, and those firmwares do not run on a 99i.

Also, you will need to purchase an ISY portal subscription to connect the Amazon account to the ISY and support the communication.

Paul

I wish I had known that the 99i was not supported. This is starting to get expensive just for the privilege of talking to my house. Are their any upgrade deals for the ISY 994 that you know of?

Yes, there has been a ongoing upgrade package for those migrating from the 99 to 994. You can simply go to the UDI sales page and go from there.

NOTE: Technically if you have the *Network Module* you can still use Amazon Echo via (roll your own) using 3rd party software and middle ware like a RPi.

Its free besides the initial outlay for the RPi but it allows you to reduce your on going costs for the portal.

I wish I had known that the 99i was not supported. This is starting to get expensive just for the privilege of talking to my house. Are their any upgrade deals for the ISY 994 that you know of?

Where did you by the 99i from? It's many years past (official) sales stopping.... I *really* wish people would stop reselling them.

Where did you by the 99i from? It's many years past (official) sales stopping.... I *really* wish people would stop reselling them.

I think he has owned the 99i for years. It's the Dot he just bought.

I'm Gary Funk and I approved this message.

I just purchased an Amazon Dot and followed exactly (I hope) the Amazon Echo Step by Step instructions on the forum. I purchased the portal and have it running just fine. I enabled the skill "ISY Optimized for Smart Home V2" in the Alexa app. I can see the Echo listed under "connectivity" in the ISY portal and can see all of my devices, scenes and programs there and I've created a couple of spoken nodes. When I instruct Alexa to discover new devices nothing is found!

I just got off the phone with Amazon Echo support and they told me that the echo does not work with Ethernet connected devices--only wireless devices. That seems very strange. Could the problem be that I have the old ISY 99! ?

Will the 99i work with Echo?

Thanks!

How do you tell if your portal is working properly?

I got the 99 from Smarthome in 2013. Just got the Dot. I have about 80 Insteon devices and I'm a programmer. So I've always appreciated the programming aspect of my ISY. 

I started with a 99i and upgraded to a 994i. You won't be sorry. Just the opposite, you'll be elated, especially after adding the portal and playing with the Dot B)

Archived