Whole house audio w/ Echo?

MstrD

I'm trying to hook up my echo to my Russound whole house audio system.     Here is my setup:

2 x echo dots.  Connected to a single account (I'm ok with having the commands different for each room so I didn't make sub accounts).    

I have a Russound audio system that has 12 zones, and 6 sources.   

1 x  ISY

I have the Echo's installed and working with my ISY.  That seems to be working ok for scenes/programs, etc.   

I can turn each zone on/off with network resource commands.   I can change sources by zone if I setup the commands (not quite there yet).  

One of my sources has a bluetooth receiver connected (the others are hardwired).

The Russound does have a paging function, but it really needs a trigger (12v) to activate.  I believe there is a way for it to sense audio, but then there is a delay as it switches everything on, and the message might be over. 

I'm able to connect my echo (main floor) by bluetooth to the Russound, but then I have to make sure there is a zone connected or you can't hear any responses.  I was able to connect both echo's together, so that they both would listen, but the audio would all come from one.  (bluetooth out from one, connected in on the other), but that doesn't really help me either.   I "could" possibly connect them together and then play the audio through one of the zones (I have one in the foyer so it plays upstairs/downstairs), but then I have to have the zone on 24/7.  I could automate so it's not always on, but, the bluetooth won't just disconnect since it's a separate box, and even if I turn that off, I'm not sure it will reconnect when I turn the bluetooth receiver back on.

I've ordered a voice remote to playaround with that.  Not sure how I could intergrate it. 

Has anyone tried to hookup multiple echo's to a whole house audio system?  What is your setup? 

Due to the location of my Echos, I use Bluetooth receivers plugged into a remote controlled audio/video switch. (I don't use the video inputs/output.) You could use a wired connection with an adapter (RCA to 3.5 mm) instead of the Bluetooth receiver for on or both Echos.

• 2 weeks later...

Just ordered this device.   https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009OBCAW2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Read a review somewhere that it the Dot will connect to it - then after a time it will disconnect - reverting sound back to the dot - then next time you want to play music it will connect again.    We'll see.    I've got a Mac Mini connected to a Yamaha receiver with Airplay and 6 sets of speakers through the house - it all works well and we like it, but we only have our music and Airplay.    I'm hoping that with the Dot and BT we'll connect the Pandora account and play Pandora through Alexa to the same system.    

What I don't know about the Yamaha is that when I plug the blue tooth receiver in will it over ride my Airplay or can the receiver detect the appropriate audio source and get it right.

Will know on Sunday when it arrives.  

I've thought of that and it is very doable since Yamaha also has an iPhone app, but am hoping for more seemless control - which ever is playing will auto connect - will play with the input on the front and or inputs on the back and hope that Airplay might trump the inputs.

I use one of the the RCA inputs on my preamp. (A preamp is the middle part of an input device such as a tuner or phono or cd player and an amplifier. It's one-third of a receiver) I don't know which Yamaha receiver you have, so don't know your options?

If it is of any help I use a Bluetooth receiver that only connects when you tell Echo to connect and disconnect when desired. I do have a Russound system and had to get around the page delay with a delaying unit and use a 12v trigger prior to receiving the delayed input on page. Right now I use one zone for the Echo and when I prefer to listen to streaming music from Amazon I tell Echo to connect.

Somewhat related to this topic...

I bought a Echo for the main room (Dots are in the other rooms).  I bought the echo for the main room because this is where we like to listen to music, so I figured the dots sound ok but the full unit will sound much better. No surprise, it sounds great...however when the volume is turned up to 8 or higher, the echo can not hear me at all. I scream "Alexa" from about 8 feet away and she will not here me. I have to go over to it and press the button to get her to stop playing music.

The reason for this post is warn others about this issue. Go with a Bluetooth speaker from a dot, keep them separated and you'll be better off.

• 4 months later...

Hi cdjayzee,

You can but you will have to use programs or variables:

1. Use Network Resources (included in ISY Portal) to allow ISY communicate with your Russound: http://wiki.universal-devices.com/index.php?title=ISY-994i_Series_INSTEON:Networking:Network_Resources#Russound_CAV6.6

2. Make programs or state variables that activate programs

3. Use the commands outlined here with your Echo (for programs or variables): http://wiki.universal-devices.com/index.php?title=ISY_Portal_Amazon_Echo_Integration#Supported_Commands

With kind regards,

Michel

Archived